PDA

View Full Version : "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed

bigslim
09-04-2006, 01:11 AM
BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when he was stung, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

He collapsed at Batt Reef, near Low Isle and the resort town of Port Douglas, Queensland state police said in a statement. Port Douglas is about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane, the state capital.

A rescue helicopter rushed to the scene but Irwin had died, the statement said.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef and said cause of death appeared to be a "stingray strike to the chest."

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his month-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia through projects such as "G'Day LA," an Australian tourism and trade promotion week in Los Angeles in January.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Downer's spokesman Tony Parkinson said.

Stingrays have flat bodies and tails with serrated spines, which contain venom and can cause cuts and puncture wounds. The creatures are not aggressive and injury usually occurs when a swimmer or diver accidentally steps on one.

Directedby
09-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Crazy -

In March, I spent 6 weeks in Bahamas, and swam with huge stingrays every day.

Petted them and fed them. They are very gentle.

Their stingers are bad-a$$.

Here are a couple of pics, I took...

Bluerauder
09-04-2006, 05:43 AM
...and said cause of death appeared to be a "stingray strike to the chest."

Stingrays have flat bodies and tails with serrated spines, which contain venom and can cause cuts and puncture wounds. The creatures are not aggressive and injury usually occurs when a swimmer or diver accidentally steps on one.
NBC4 news this morning indicated that the stingray "pierced his heart". Speculation was that the stringray may have felt trapped between the cameraman and Irwin. :dunno:

R.I.P. Steve :(

Cobra25
09-04-2006, 05:43 AM
It's all over this Mornings News. I liked the Guy, Sad too hear He's gone.

CRUZTAKER
09-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Crazy -

In March, I spent 6 weeks in Bahamas, and swam with huge stingrays every day.
Petted them and fed them. They are very gentle.
Here are a couple of pics, I took...

Pic one appears to be a southern sting ray. We, as divers, do not usually do any more than picture take with this (wild) variety. However, there are places such as Grand Cayman where there are southern stingers that are pet-able, and have learned to hand feed over the decades.

Pic two is a Mantaray, and is completely harmless, other than sucking in an extended finger like an over powered vacuum cleaner.

Gage grew up watching Steve, and it's sad to see him go.

THE STORY (http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=9380A92B-B9E6-435E-974B-FE722B651621&f=00&fg=copy)

jgc61sr2002
09-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Watched Steve with my Grandchildren. May he Rest in Peace.

STLR FN
09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I liked many of his shows. Rest In Peace Steve.

Marauder2005
09-04-2006, 09:37 AM
A real shinning light for the enviornment is gone. Very sad. :(

TooManyFords
09-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Nature's way of saying, "Hey, You! Out of the gene pool!"

Freshmeat
09-04-2006, 09:56 AM
He did a lot for conservation in Australia and inspired countless across the world, that's for sure.

We all say we'd like to go out doing what we love and there's no doubt he did just that.

Blackened300a
09-04-2006, 09:56 AM
The guy wrestled with alligators and crocodiles, messed with poisonous snakes and even played with african wildlife such as lions and tigers, but yet he is taken out by a stingray.
Sad to see him go but it was only a matter of time.

Freshmeat
09-04-2006, 10:03 AM
The "freak" nature of this situation means it was his time, in my opinion. He's done some crazy things... at least he passed quickly. Hopefully, his two children will continue the legacy.

grampaws
09-04-2006, 10:48 AM
He was always pushing the boundries of safety...
But this would not have been how I would have
expected him to die..A stingray?? He did what he
loved and worked to improve the world. Crazy as
some may think he was, He will be admired and
missed..

Donny Carlson
09-04-2006, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyQaaIEF4Ew&NR

gdmjoe
09-04-2006, 05:39 PM
bigslim ... Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife ...
Is that what y'all call it ( enthusiasm ); IMO it was antagonizing the living crap-o-la out of the wildlife until ( ya they ) strike-back. He just never seemed content to film nature naturally. Still recall him filming the rattlesnakes in the Appalachians, poking a stick down the hole to aggravate the critter to come out; as he was leaning over, another rattlesnake slithered-in from behind and went between his legs .... he kept telling the film crew to not move; I was rootin' for the snake(s).

While it's never nice when someone passes-on ... play with dynamite enough and it will sting ya.

Smokie
09-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I lost respect for him when he fed a crocodile with one hand while holding his baby with the other, I AM SORRY HE LOST HIS LIFE. But quite honestly the things he CHOSE to do were foolhardy and I am surprised he lived as long as he did.

It is very sad for a healthy young man with a wife and 2 children to lose his life under ANY circumstances, I hope Steve now rests in peace.

MERCMAN
09-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I lost respect for him when he fed a crocodile with one hand while holding his baby with the other, I AM SORRY HE LOST HIS LIFE. But quite honestly the things he CHOSE to do were foolhardy and I am surprised he lived as long as he did.

It is very sad for a healthy young man with a wife and 2 children to lose his life under ANY circumstances, I hope Steve now rests in peace.

Javier, you need to move to Texas, I don't think the state of Florida is large enough to contain that big heart of yours. You are a good man

BAD MERC
09-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Steve died "living". He was never afraid to extend beyond the realm of safety and always had a sense of humor and witty remarks. He made everybody laugh and never hurt a soul. So long, Steve. Rest in peace and thanks for making the whole world a better place!

sweetair
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
I just saw this post now and wow. I was watching him today on the crocodile hunter episode not realising he died. How bizarre and sad.:(

Hotrauder
09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
We enjoyed his shows and appreciated his enthusiasm for his work. He took way to many chances IMO, without need and thoughtless of his wife and children. I suspect that he considered the Rays of no threat and normally he would have been right. Dennis:beer:

VNMUS
09-04-2006, 07:10 PM
C R I K E Y ! ! ! :depress:

DefyantExWife
09-04-2006, 07:13 PM
The "freak" nature of this situation means it was his time, in my opinion. He's done some crazy things... at least he passed quickly. Hopefully, his two children will continue the legacy.

:( This is what I was thinking today too. This was really a rough thing to wake up to for millions of us. Terri and the kids are certainly enveloped with warm thoughts and prayers right now. I hope it helps them through this. Those kids lost a wonderful father. You just know that guy was a great dad.

SilverStreak
09-04-2006, 07:15 PM
You can only spin the cylinder so many times before you
win the prize.:eek: :shake:

Donny Carlson
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Especially the part about death due to puncturing the pericardium...

http://www.potamotrygon.de/fremdes/stingray%20article.htm

Smokie
09-05-2006, 07:04 AM

http://www.potamotrygon.de/fremdes/stingray%20article.htm

Donny thank you for an excellent article, I hope many here take the time to read it.

I'm going to relate a little of my life experience I have been around water all my life, mostly salt, being in or on the water is as natural as breathing to me. Eventually when the sadness, grief and shock from the loss of such a popular and charismatic person as Steve Irwin subsides more information will surface that will show that this WAS NOT a freak accident.

"Sting Rays" are coastal bottom dwellers that are quite common in Florida same as Australia. Many people believe the "stinger" is at the tip of the tail; it is not. It is located on the top of the body were the tail "begins". Sting rays, specially large ones have few predators, however the shark happens to be one of them.

The stinger is on the top of the body because most sting rays are attacked from above, when a diver swims above a sting ray he presents the profile of a "predator" and if he is within striking distance the sting ray will suddenly in a very powerful muscular contraction will arch his rear body section (not the tip of the tail) upwards and expose the full spine and strike while at the same time it swims to get away.

This is a defensive mechanism to escape and survive "not an attack" to kill prey, this is not how they feed. Steve Irwin was not just swimming 4-5' away from a sting ray when he was "attacked". Steve Irwin's thorax was within 2 feet or less of the body of the sting ray when he was impaled, very likely he grabbed or touched the sting ray.

Had he done this with a Manta or Devil Ray he would be alive today since the have NO STINGER. Sting ray "attacks" are far more common than shark attacks, just not as spectacular. Most people only step accidentally on a sting ray, swimming above (within the body's striking range) a sting ray is extremely dangerous. Don't believe this crap you are hearing in the news above hardly anybody "ever" being killed by a sting ray, it happens, you just don't hear about it.

STLR FN
09-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Stainton said Irwin was in his element in the Outback, but that he and Irwin had talked about the sea posing threats the star wasn't used to.

"If ever he was going to go, we always said it was going to be the ocean," Stainton said. "On land he was agile, quick-thinking, quick-moving and the ocean puts another element there that you have no control over."

http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2006/09/05/469486.html&cvqh=itn_irwinkilled

Bluerauder
09-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks Donny ... very educational.

Penetration of any part of the trunk (chest, abdomen, groin) is a serious medical emergency. Introduction of the ray's necrotizing venom directly into the body cavity of a person has been known to cause insidious necrotizing effects on the heart and other internal organs, and death is often inevitable.

Necrosis -- n. to make dead, usu. localized death of living tissue.

junior
09-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Here's some pics of rays from our vacation in Bora Bora last year. Note the spines on the dorsal of the spotted eagle rays.

ParkRanger
09-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Donny thank you for an excellent article, I hope many here take the time to read it.

I'm going to relate a little of my life experience I have been around water all my life, mostly salt, being in or on the water is as natural as breathing to me. Eventually when the sadness, grief and shock from the loss of such a popular and charismatic person as Steve Irwin subsides more information will surface that will show that this WAS NOT a freak accident.

"Sting Rays" are coastal bottom dwellers that are quite common in Florida same as Australia. Many people believe the "stinger" is at the tip of the tail; it is not. It is located on the top of the body were the tail "begins". Sting rays, specially large ones have few predators, however the shark happens to be one of them.

The stinger is on the top of the body because most sting rays are attacked from above, when a diver swims above a sting ray he presents the profile of a "predator" and if he is within striking distance the sting ray will suddenly in a very powerful muscular contraction will arch his rear body section (not the tip of the tail) upwards and expose the full spine and strike while at the same time it swims to get away.

This is a defensive mechanism to escape and survive "not an attack" to kill prey, this is not how they feed. Steve Irwin was not just swimming 4-5' away from a sting ray when he was "attacked". Steve Irwin's thorax was within 2 feet or less of the body of the sting ray when he was impaled, very likely he grabbed or touched the sting ray.

Had he done this with a Manta or Devil Ray he would be alive today since the have NO STINGER. Sting ray "attacks" are far more common than shark attacks, just not as spectacular. Most people only step accidentally on a sting ray, swimming above (within the body's striking range) a sting ray is extremely dangerous. Don't believe this crap you are hearing in the news above hardly anybody "ever" being killed by a sting ray, it happens, you just don't hear about it.

Best explanation that I have heard. Thanks
PR :burnout:

mr.continental
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Godspeed, Steve Irwin.

VNMUS
09-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Read an interesting report on the Aussie news.com.au site and it stated that after Steve Irwin was hit with the 20cm Stingray barb, he pulled it from his own chest before he died. Brave to the last second! His cameraman caught the whole thing on tape which is now in the posession of the Police.

VNMUS
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Steve's most embarassing moments...

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/52127/Steve_Irwin_Crocodile_Hunter_M ost_Embarrasing_Moments.html

VNMUS
09-08-2006, 11:34 AM
The Southpark kids watch The Crocodile Hunter

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/52181/South_Park_Steve_Irwin.html

Dragcity
09-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Unfortunatly, that bravery is likely what killed him. He just may have survived if he left it in and let the docs do it under perfect conditions.

The combination of reverse serrations and the constricting of muscles around the barb do much more damage than the entry itself.

Always remember, if you are impaled, leave it in, NEVER pull it out. Basic medical/survival knowledge.....

He may have been worried about the poison, but "No Worries" now....

DefyantExWife
09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
um. i dont think his death was remotely amusing, so please keep it to yourself........or bring it to oprah.com ;)

Dragcity
09-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Just so you know, I'M not at all amused either. I am just sharing what info I know to be true to help keep other from removing embedded objects from themselves. If it was not directed at me, carry on (ladies)....

VNMUS
09-08-2006, 01:43 PM
If it's directed at me, I'm just posting some fond memories of the guy. Nothing funny about what happened to him, however he did thrive on danger and filmed it for the world to see. Personally I think Steve Irwin was a very entertaining person and I know he loved to put smiles on people of all ages, me included. I hope they don't pull the show from TV as it was one of the best out there.

DEFYANT
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Like other said before, this guy has been picking fights with wild animals for far too long. I hope he had a good insurance policy to cover his family. The tragedy is there is two kids that will grow up with out their father due to his disregard for his own safty.

Joe Walsh
09-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Unfortunatly, that bravery is likely what killed him. He just may have survived if he left it in and let the docs do it under perfect conditions.

The combination of reverse serrations and the constricting of muscles around the barb do much more damage than the entry itself.

Always remember, if you are impaled, leave it in, NEVER pull it out. Basic medical/survival knowledge.....

He may have been worried about the poison, but "No Worries" now....

He was gone no matter what because of the venom on the barb...the venom is not terribly potent, but injected directly into the heart....

I'm really sorry to see him go, and doubly sorry for his poor wife and children.