PDA

View Full Version : Another crappy stealership

duhtroll
09-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Alright, I've been nice. I have not railed this dealership on public forums by name until now.

John Deery L-M Nissan Saturn here in Cedar Falls, IA. There, I said it.

Today my wife leaves me a message telling me the engine light is on in her 01 nissan Sentra GXE. She ran it by the dealership so they could plug it in and tell her what it would cost to repair.

I call her back later when I retrieved said message. They had quoted her $900 to replace the MAF sensor. Yep, you read that correctly. Oh, and it will be a couple business days to get the part, and the car is not driveable.

I call my own mechanic who does stuff for the MM and ask him how much it will be. He looks it up and calls me back with less than half that amount. (it is an expensive part but half an hour of labor is generous). I make an appointment with him for Friday - he'll have the part by then - and call the dealership back to tell them we are picking up the car and taking it elsewhere.

I hear "We told her $819. The car is not driveable so you can't drive it. It's in pieces anyway."

"We drove it in there," I tell him.

"Yeah, but it's running so lean it could burn the valves."

Hangup. Call my mechanic again.

My mechanic tells me it will be fine from their shop to his. I call the dealership back and tell them we are coming to get the car because we will not pay over twice what we have quoted from another mechanic.

They proceed to question the integrity or competence of "my" mechanic and ask how much he is asking for the repair.

"$402," I reply.

The dealership then tells me "he must be getting a used part or an aftermarket part then b/c there's NO WAY he can get a genuine Nissan part for that. I'm looking at the catalog right now."

I tell him again "We are coming to pick the car up and take it elsewhere. Please have it ready by 5:15."

They call my wife back and tell her it will be $160 for the diagnostic since they spent 1.9 hours of labor disgnosing the problem. Yes, the car is OBD compatible.

In the meantime I call "my" mechanic again and ask if he is using an aftermarket part, and how long it should take to "diagnose" this problem. He tells me "well if you mean by aftermarket that it's not a Nissan part, it's because Nissan doesn't manufacture their own parts. It's either an AC Delco or a Bosch." Also that plugging it in is usually what's necessary to find out if it's a bad part.

I smirk as I dial.

I get the same service guy on the phone and ask if the car is ready. He tells me it is not driveable, and then he asks what type of part the "other guy" is using.

"Is it a Nissan part?"

I say no.

He says "Well, it must be a used one or something then because we looked it up and that part is not available aftermarket."

I inform him what brands of part are available for the 01 Sentra.

I then get the actual mechanic on the phone and ask him everything he did to diagnose this problem, and why the hell weren't we called if it was going to be 2 hours of labor for NOT fixing the car?

He gives me a long checklist of stuff to check, in order, from the intake to the injectors, before one gets to the MAF sensor. I don't have the tech knowledge, but he tells me "I have it right here in front of me - this is what you are supposed to do."

As for why we weren't called I get "I dunno."

I then repeat "Please have the car ready to go in a few minutes -- we'll be by."

My wife picks up her car, pays what turns out to be $144, and we go to dinner. The engine light? It's off. Hmm. I wonder if the MAF just needed cleaning? If that engine light does not come on when we take it to the other shop, I might be on the evening news . . ..

My question to you: Can someone tell me if the mechanic is lying when he says 1.9 hours of labor for the diagnosis alone? I think they plugged it in and got their answer, and then added the $144 when they found out we were taking it somewhere else. I think it's pure bullsh|t and they are just trying to rape me.

Do I call the service manager and go after the $144? Or do I just never go there again? (In my wife's defense, I was not around and I had not told her to never go there again, but I already had decided that for the MM).

What say ye?

And on my birthday, no less. Well, the steak was good.

Bluerauder
09-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Do I call the service manager and go after the $144? Or do I just never go there again? (In my wife's defense, I was not around and I had not told her to never go there again, but I already had decided that for the MM).

What say ye?
A diagnostic fee is probably reasonable. Afterall they did do that much. However, $144 seems a little steep to me. There is probably a minimum 1 hour labor billing --- probably in the neighborhood of $65-75 would be my guess. Can't see how it would take nearly 2 hours to get to the problem unless they were just fishing.

Holding your car hostage to the repair is way out-of-line. Nothing should have been taken apart or off the vehicle pending receipt of the part needed and your authorization to do the work. The "genuine Nissan parts" :bs: was a bluff that you nailed them on.

Speak your peace with the service manager that you don't like how they tried to "get over" on your wife. Bad business, period. Then inform them that now that you are aware that they charge $800 for a $400 job, you will be taking your vehicle elsewhere in the future. Moreover, you will also be letting your friends know about the incident.

It's doubtful that you can recover any of the $144. Just let them know that you feel that price was doubled as well.

I can't abide liars, cheats, or thieves. :mad: Sounds like you ran into a flock of them ... or is it a gaggle ... I forget. :dunno:

CRUZTAKER
09-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Sounds like I am glad it wasn't me.
Also sounds like you were had. I would have paid with a credit card...and held payment.

Last week I took the wife's Aviator to get the front bumper repainted under warranty as the clear coat was peeling ,(not easy to convince them to do so...but they reluntantly did), and what do I get back?
A 9 inch scratch arcoss the hood. Down to the primer.:eek:

They have no idea how it got there.:shake:

Thanks LIBERTY LINCOLN MERCURY OF INDEPENDENCE. :down:

jabird56
09-06-2006, 07:24 PM
A diagnostic fee is probably reasonable. Afterall they did do that much. However, $144 seems a little steep to me. There is probably a minimum 1 hour labor billing --- probably in the neighborhood of $65-75 would be my guess. Can't see how it would take nearly 2 hours to get to the problem unless they were just fishing.

Holding your car hostage to the repair is way out-of-line. Nothing should have been taken apart or off the vehicle pending receipt of the part needed and your authorization to do the work. The "genuine Nissan parts" :bs: was a bluff that you nailed them on.

Speak your peace with the service manager that you don't like how they tried to "get over" on your wife. Bad business, period. Then inform them that now that you are aware that they charge $800 for a $400 job, you will be taking your vehicle elsewhere in the future. Moreover, you will also be letting your friends know about the incident.

It's doubtful that you can recover any of the $144. Just let them know that you feel that price was doubled as well.

I can't abide liars, cheats, or thieves. :mad: Sounds like you ran into a flock of them ... or is it a gaggle ... I forget. :dunno:

I would consider filing a complaint with your friendly neighborhood Better Business Bureau....

2ndMDRebel
09-07-2006, 04:50 AM
The diag fee for driveability in our shop is $90 and it pays the tech 1.5 labor hours, other "line" diag runs $50 and pays the tech .9 labor hour. Our normal labor rate runs from $89/hour to $99/hour depending on type of vehicle (RV, diesel, gasoline, etc). Those fees are for the initial checkout, if the tech ends up needing more time the customer is contacted before proceeding. Our diag costs are printed on the service write-up sheet that the customer signs so there is no fuss, well most of the time anyway. I would ask if the dealership has a set or minimum diag fee (probably on the write-up sheet or on a sign at the write-up area), if they do and you were not contacted to approve the extra time then you should get a refund.

Just my $.02

duhtroll
09-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Added: My wife told them before she left - "Call me before it gets expensive."

Of course she was not called, so apparently $144 for NOT fixing it is not expensive to them. :rolleyes:

I will call the service manager today.

Eric91Z
09-07-2006, 07:11 AM
I really wish there were more control by the Factory (F/L/M) over what dealerships are doing. I have gone through 3 dealerships in Central Iowa (pretty much out of options now) and still not happy.

The Marauder has been to the only L/M Dealership and they tried to sell me a $120 oil change. Uh, no, see you later. Also, 2 days after picking the car up last year, I took it in for oil change and to have a slight pull to the right checked. First thing out of the guys mouth was "Did you hit a curb or something". I look at the car, that has 6,000 miles on it and looks better than the day it came off the showroom, and start to get really upset with him.

I have a Ford Dealership I use now that will be doing the rear end rebuild on the MM under warranty, but they still have little issues: twice have forgotten to turn off the rear air bags before lifting even though I have it noted on each service order, did a front-to-rear rotate that set the ABS, Brake, and TC lights and had to go back to have that fixed, and then completely went through my center cosole and glove compartment, messing everything up, looking for the locking lug-nut key and locking valve stem cap key that I specifically told the service advisor where in the center cup holder.

They haev absolutely no respect for customer cars any more and service is not longer their number one priority. And they have the attitude that it is always the customers fault.

One other Ford Dealership that we bought the wifes Ford Five Hundred at and take their for service because we get free oil changes, has been another story. We have had a problem with the weather stripping around the driver side rear door frame (car side, not door side) coming off. The Ford Five Hundred forum makes this out to be a pretty common problem. Ask to have that fixed at an oil change and first thing they do is blame us for bumping or pulling something over it to make that happen. Then they say they just pushed it back on. I get home, open the door, and it is coming off again. Just tired of dealing with them. We are getting rid of that car next year to get the wife a Nissan Titan instead. Plus, the Service Manager at the local Nissan dealership is an old roommate of mine. Best of both worlds: she loves that truck and I know the Service Manager.

Car ownership can be so frustrating just because of the dealerships alone.

ezratty
09-07-2006, 07:58 AM
taking your car to a dealership is just a way to empty your pockets

my mechanic - is open 6 days a week from 8:30am to 9:00 pm - never a diagnostic fee, always does things right - not to say he is inexpensive but i'm not paying dealer prices by any means.

dealers are only good for one thing - covered warranty work anything else is a waste

kj31067
09-07-2006, 08:30 AM

my mechanic - is open 6 days a week from 8:30am to 9:00 pm - never a diagnostic fee, always does things right - not to say he is inexpensive but i'm not paying dealer prices by any means.

dealers are only good for one thing - covered warranty work anything else is a waste

i guess i am lucky....so far so good with local L/m dealer..all the other local guys are not that much cheaper than the dealer and at least the dealer techs dont leave greasy hand prints on wheel and door pull and door panel and mud and **** on floormats. i have had that happen at two or three independent shops in my area..
pisses me off....

merc6
09-07-2006, 10:09 AM

dealers are only good for one thing - covered warranty work anything else is a wasteTo a point yes. I went to 9 shops for tranny fluid changes and they all gave me looks and said this magic red tranny/power steering/engine coolant colaberation was better than the motorcraft bs. I was happy to pay a lil more to know it was done at least 85-90% right. This is the same dealership that does half the National capital reigon police cars so they have plenty of panter experience. Thats the only good dealership I like next to the mercury one in san antonio. When the car pulls up at least 3 or more service techs/salesmen come running out to see it. I had similar issues in texas (Koons Ford) where they basicly wouldn't do the sender tsp and told me to buy 3 bottles of cheveron with techron additives after I produced reciepts for 4 bottles before they would touch it. I ended up shipping it back to va and having tysons ford at 7 corners do it. They were eager to touch the car under warrenty and fix it. I had similar issues with mazda dealerships when I tok my mazda 6 in for warrenty recalls. One guy wanted me to "pay" for a wds(pcm/tcm) reflash to correct my shift shock issues. WDS is a program they have to update or else they will reflash a car with a program older than the new cars comming in canceling out a previous fix done at the factory. Most dealerships refuse to update and tell you the issues are normal. Then wanted me to pay for a tsb fix for pads comming in contact with rotors when turning. Mazda service manual clearly saiys to replace them with a revised pad but they ended up shaving them. I ended up comming back a week later for the same issue. Hope you can resolve your issues and know 90% of the dealerships are trying to get over and are the ones that seem to be closer to home. I am willing to make a drive to get the car fixed right the 1st time. Most of our locals mazda clubers drive to NJ to get the car fixed right cause darcars isn't capable.

Blackened300a
09-07-2006, 02:34 PM
. I think it's pure bullsh|t and they are just trying to rape me.

Correct! $144 for pluging in a scanner is obsene. Problem is that your wife brought the car in and as always, most service department's love taking advantage of a woman.
My GF decided to go on her own and have her brakes done after I told her numerous times that I will do it and to save her money.
She didnt listen and sure enough Front pads replaced, rotors cut and a bill of $415 for her 98 Pontiac Grand Prix. She didnt know any better and paid it.
I did a parts check and for all 4 rotors and pads brand new was only $92. :mad2:
Try to speak to the service manager and if that fails, then a call to the better business bureau is in order.

ctrcbob
09-07-2006, 03:56 PM
When I bought my 03 used (Certified) from a Ford/Mercury dealer, they changed the rear brake pads. When they took the rear rotors off, the parking brake shoes fell apart, so they ordered new parking brake shoes, and installed them with the rear pads. Well, the parking brake would go all the way down to the floor when I would activate it. They could not get it to work correct. I later had my local Ford dealer check it out. and they also could not get the parking brake to set up higher. The parking brake would just barely hold on the level, but not on a hill. Both dealers told me there was no adjustment and there was nothing they could do.

Well, about a month ago, I took my MM to a local garage, a guy who did some good work on my 98 Continental. Had him change out the fuel filter and asked him to check out the parking brake as it went all the way down to the floor. He checked inside both parking drums, and guess what? One of the adjusters was put in wrong. (backwards). He took the adjuster off, and put it back in correct. I now have a parking brake that works. It still goes down further than I like, but no matter, at least it works.

What I want to know is why couldn't the Dealer Techs at two dealers see the problem, and the local tech saw it and fixed it right away?

ezratty
09-07-2006, 05:07 PM
to get the dealer good, contact Mercury directly. When i bought my mustang, the car was not clean to my satisfaction. the salesman was still removing plastic and whipping out the windex. I gave the dealership a lousy rating on my survey. low and behold i get a call from the dealer the next week and the tell me that they want me to come in so that they could send my car out to be detailed. to make a long story short the car was returned to me cleaned to perfection - If Ford didn't ***** slap the dealer i would have never gotten a call to come back - Go over the dealers head, you might not get anything back but screwing the dealer just a little feels so good

duhtroll
09-07-2006, 06:07 PM
The answer to your question, as I was told more than once yesterday, is that "your mechanic doesn't have our extensive training. They are 'senior master techs.'"

:laugh:

When I bought my 03 used (Certified) from a Ford/Mercury dealer, they changed the rear brake pads. When they took the rear rotors off, the parking brake shoes fell apart, so they ordered new parking brake shoes, and installed them with the rear pads. Well, the parking brake would go all the way down to the floor when I would activate it. They could not get it to work correct. I later had my local Ford dealer check it out. and they also could not get the parking brake to set up higher. The parking brake would just barely hold on the level, but not on a hill. Both dealers told me there was no adjustment and there was nothing they could do.

Well, about a month ago, I took my MM to a local garage, a guy who did some good work on my 98 Continental. Had him change out the fuel filter and asked him to check out the parking brake as it went all the way down to the floor. He checked inside both parking drums, and guess what? One of the adjusters was put in wrong. (backwards). He took the adjuster off, and put it back in correct. I now have a parking brake that works. It still goes down further than I like, but no matter, at least it works.

What I want to know is why couldn't the Dealer Techs at two dealers see the problem, and the local tech saw it and fixed it right away?

chuckled
09-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Your first mistake was buying a #"@%%$# foreign car. Second mistake was letting your wire take the car to the dealer. $144 isn't bad for a diag. Dealers have to pay not only the trechs but have to purchase the equipment, pay the porters, service writers, etc. Everyone knows that parts are more expensive at car dealers, just a fact of life. The dealer's tactics were not honorable but there could have been a mutual problem between wife and service writer since they do not speak the same language. Mass Airflow Sensors are known to be a little touchy and sometimes just unplugging and replugging will turn off the light. Please consider your fellow Americans when purchasing the next new vehicle. Appx. 20% of all jobs in the U.S. are either directly or indirectly tied to the automotive industry. I personally consider it unamerican to drive foreign cars - too much money to send to off shore banks and economys.