PDA

View Full Version : They'd like to put one of these in me...

O's Fan Rich
09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Implantable Cardioverter–Defibrillator

http://www.medical-journals.com/r03116b.htm

I know there are few here with conections to the health field...
would like some basic opinions... I know in the end it's my decision.
I see some lawsuits out there. I also see the good points of this, especially since I lost about 30% of my output in the ol' ticker.

Rider90
09-07-2006, 09:33 AM
It sounds like a great idea. I guess the alternative would be carrying around an AED and passing out instructions to each person you walk by.

TooManyFords
09-07-2006, 09:51 AM

http://www.medical-journals.com/r03116b.htm

I see some lawsuits out there. I also see the good points of this, especially since I lost about 30% of my output in the ol' ticker.

That's cool, but where does the NOS tube go?!? Does it require running methanol when you hit the button?

All kidding aside, if you need it you should get it. Get a good second opinion from knowledgable doctors, not wrench heads here on MM. Might I recommend PM's in this case too?

John

Mike
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
My 13yo son has a Implantable Defibrillator, had it implanted just over a year ago. He has something called The Long QT Syndrome. What happens, if his adrenaline get to high, it causes him to faint (pass out). If this devise is ever needed (so far so good) the devise kicks in and slows his heart down to a normal rhythm.

Bluerauder
09-07-2006, 10:48 AM

My wife works for a cardiologist. I'll ask what she knows about these devices.

martyo
09-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Just do it. And, be glad you don't have a nationalized health system.

O's Fan Rich
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
My 13yo son has a Implantable Defibrillator, had it implanted just over a year ago. He has something called The Long QT Syndrome. What happens, if his adrenaline get to high, it causes him to faint (pass out). If this devise is ever needed (so far so good) the devise kicks in and slows his heart down to a normal rhythm.

Too young for that. Hope he's doing well.
Did the Dr. Say anthying about participation in sports and such?
Partcularly contact sports?

As far as advice from wrenchheads... YEAH for sure! I'm fishing for personal experiences and the like.
Last thing I'd want is like Motorhead350 telling me that it'd be cool to open up my pipes and crank her up!! Maybe add some kero to my mix......:D :D :D

O's Fan Rich
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Just do it. And, be glad you don't have a nationalized health system.
A freakin' men, Brother!!

Mike
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Rich,
He can play sports as long as it's not organized. With the coaches, standings, etc,....there's a chance his adrenaline could elevate and he could pass out, and no contact. There could be incidental contact and either damage the device or set it off.. So for now he can play whatever he wants as long as it's not organized. Water, he needs to be one on one. His condition is hereditary (on his mothers side). He'll have the device and be on meds for the rest of his life. As for now, he's coping VERY well and has adapted....YEA!!!!! He was on meds first but he passed out, but in the mean time his mother & I did a lot of research and thought it would be best if he had the procedure done. He passed out again and once we got to Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago, the experts all said that he needed the device, that made the decision much easier to make. Thanks

jdando
09-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi Rich;

I work for a large medical device company that makes ICD's.

I am not a Dr., but I do stay at Holiday Inn's alot:)

With any technology or device it is making sure you get the correct device for the condition. We motor heads would not use pipe wrench where a 10mm socket should be used. Both good tools, but each has its place.

Basically it is a device (metal can) around the size of a small cell phone that gets inplanted under your skin in your upper chest. It connects to two leads that are placed into your heart via the venous system.

http://www.sjm.com/assets/popups/icd.gif

Image borrowed from sjm.com

When an abnormal/life threatening rthymn is detected it will apply an electric shock to cardiovert the rhythm back to normal rhythm. I have heard the shock is mild/moderately painful (but it beats die-ing).

Hopefully your electrophysiologist or cardioligist has a lot of experience in implanting and lead placement. Getting good lead placement is very important for defib thresholds, etc. Ask lots of questions prior to implant such as; battery life, device features, follow-up visits, trans-telephonic monitoring, issues with microwave ovens, metal detectors, playing sports.

Currently I think battery life is in the 7-10 year range at most, so there will be a device change out or two in your lifetime.

More information here
http://www.sjm.com/procedures/procedure.aspx?name=ICD+Implan tation

Educational mode off/

Let me know if you or anyone needs more information.

jeremy

Bluerauder
09-07-2006, 06:28 PM

My wife reminded me that her sister had one of the defibrillator devices implanted about 3 years ago following a major heart attack. She has to go in every 6 months to have it checked for proper operation. No issues or problems that we are aware of. Its only there in case the heart rhythm goes haywire and then the device activates to restore normal rhythm.

My wife is only somewhat familiar with the devices and indicates that only a small proportion of the patients coming to her office have them. Depends on the specific condition. She did note that some manufacturers require a 3 month check interval; but others are a 6 month interval. I think that I would opt for the 6 month version since it would seem to have less impact on schedules and such.

No personal insight here .... hope it helps some. Good luck with your decision.

TAF
09-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Rich...you're getting some good info here....and I'm sure you're in good hands. Best of luck with your decision.

But...come on...

Admit it...

You've had worse things "in" you.

That Borrito from Wa Wa @ 3am in the morning...

Those needle nose pliers getting those ear hairs out....

Hotrauder
09-07-2006, 07:11 PM
As always good luck, Rich. We recommend you go to a good shop familiar with those mods and personally supervise the tech who does the install. Get a pre work estimate and make sure they use only factory warrenteed parts that are new. No Moe's brand new rebuilts on this job. Dennis:D

younga1
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Several of these have experienced recalls lately.

O's Fan Rich
09-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I really appreciate the info, and any more gets the same.
Mike, give that boy of yours a big hug and a thumbs up for me, please.
I will be getting another echo cardigram Oct.17 then we will make the call. They would like to install it 3 days after that, so I gotta figure things out by then. I do wonder if it will interfere with MVIV if I do it then :alone: man, I hope not.

O's Fan Rich
09-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Rich...you're getting some good info here....and I'm sure you're in good hands. Best of luck with your decision.

But...come on...

Admit it...

You've had worse things "in" you.

That Borrito from Wa Wa @ 3am in the morning...

Those needle nose pliers getting those ear hairs out....
Peeking in my window again, huh?:D :D :D

You know you are correct sir!

sweetair
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Rich, my bro-in-law has had one for a few years now. No issues that I know of. He is going to be 50 in Oct. For him it was an easy decision. He has 3 young kids. 6, 4.5, and 1.5 yrs old. My dad had quad by-pass 6 years ago. Completely different from this device, but my point is that the Dr.'s said that if he had had a heart attack, it would have been his only one. My bro-in-law saw this with my dad and deceided for him it was the right thing to do. Ask what are the risks/benefits and go from there. Good luck with some decisions that need to be made. Ask lots of questions. Bill

Mike
09-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks rich, I will!!! Good luck yourself!!!

txkent
09-08-2006, 04:18 AM
Hey Rich - would this be considered a "mod"? :)

My brother is probably going to be getting one sometime in the next few years. Docs have been putting it off - but he has irregular heart rhythm.

txmarauder
09-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Dont know if it is brand related or install related but i have made a couple runs (EMS), where the defib would shock for no reason. Peoples vitals were normal and every minute or so they would get a shock. Something to look into. Maybe there is a forum out there for these devices and you can get some real user advice.