PDA

View Full Version : Who sells Dropped center Links?

BillyGman
09-09-2006, 02:32 AM
The oil pan on my 632 C.I. engine had to be made so deep to clear the connecting rod caps because of the massive 4.75" stroke, that the steering linkage center Link ( aka "Drag Link") won't clear the oil pan.

So before I go ahead and heat this thing up with a torch and try to bend it enough to put more of a drop in it, can anyone here tell me of any place that offers dropped center links for GM A-body cars ( BTW, my car is a 1970 Chevelle)???

martyo
09-09-2006, 05:51 AM
Have you tried Flaming River or Year One?

BillyGman
09-09-2006, 11:32 AM
No I forgot all about those places Marty. So far I've tried Art Morrison, Mark Williams, & Welder Series, to no avail. Seems like a lot of places sell steering shafts and steering boxes, but no center links, and a lot of other places sell steering links, but only in the factory OE configuration. I'll go check out those other places you've mentioned. Thanks pal. ;)

martyo
09-09-2006, 03:51 PM
No I forgot all about those places Marty. So far I've tried Art Morrison, Mark Williams, & Welder Series, to no avail. Seems like a lot of places sell steering shafts and steering boxes, but no center links, and a lot of other places sell steering links, but only in the factory OE configuration. I'll go check out those other places you've mentioned. Thanks pal. ;)

Also try Chris Alston (sp?) chasis works. If you need me to look up the number, let me know.

Another thought I have is a friend of mine in the ATL does awesome custom fab work and he might be able to fab you up something too.

Try here too (by the way, that's a different bell than my friend): http://www.streetrodgarage.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=530

BillyGman
09-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Nope, I looked on the Chris Alston website, and they don't offer center Links. A lot of places cary Flaming River steering products, and that company only makes steering boxes, columns, and shafts. No linkages such as center links, pitman arms, and tie rods. All is I know is that the OE center Link is of a 7/8" diameter, is 15 1/4" long from the driver's side inner tie rod attaching point to the passenger side one, and it has about a 1" drop in the center section, and I need a center link of the same length, but with a 2.5" drop in it. If i don't find one, then I'll have to cut the ends off of the OE one that I have, and weld them onto a section of 7/8" diameter DOM steel tubing that has a .156" wall thickness which I will need to heat up with a torch, and bend myself. But that isn't something that I'd want to do unless I haven't any alternative. Because it's related to steering, it's a potential safety issue, and if those welds on the ends break while I'm driving the car, then I'm done!!! So I'll bend the tubing if I have to, but that will be a last resort.

martyo
09-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Nope, I looked on the Chris Alston website, and they don't offer center Links. A lot of places cary Flaming River steering products, and that company only makes steering boxes, columns, and shafts. No linkages such as center links, pitman arms, and tie rods. All is I know is that the OE center Link is of a 7/8" diameter, is 15 1/4" long from the driver's side inner tie rod attaching point to the passenger side one, and it has about a 1" drop in the center section, and I need a center link of the same length, but with a 2.5" drop in it. If i don't find one, then I'll have to cut the ends off of the OE one that I have, and weld them onto a section of 7/8" diameter DOM steel tubing that has a .156" wall thickness which I will need to heat up with a torch, and bend myself. But that isn't something that I'd want to do unless I haven't any alternative. Because it's related to steering, it's a potential safety issue, and if those welds on the ends break while I'm driving the car, then I'm done!!! So I'll bend the tubing if I have to, but that will be a last resort.

I am almost positive my friend Joey Bell can help you out here. Let me know if you need him.

BillyGman
09-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I am almost positive my friend Joey Bell can help you out here. Let me know if you need him.Okay Marty, will do. Thanks a lot pal! Below is a pic of the center Link that I found from Howe Racing that I decided to order which is supposed to have more of a drop in it than the OE one does, but looking at the pic, it's questionable. Pictures don't always tell the whole story though, and there are too many aftermarket companies these days who have women answering the "tech" lines who cannot provide specific nor accurate tech info. So when I get it this week, I'll find out if it will be adequate. I sure hope so. I was on the net for hours today looking for dropped center Links, and this is the only one I found.

martyo
09-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Glad you found that Billy.

If it doesn't work out, I am almost positive we can get you hooked up with a nice custom fab'd piece.

Keep me posted.

And plan on taking me for a ride when you are done!

BillyGman
09-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Glad you found that Billy.

If it doesn't work out, I am almost positive we can get you hooked up with a nice custom fab'd piece.

Keep me posted.

And plan on taking me for a ride when you are done!Sounds good Marty. ;)

BillyGman
09-12-2006, 10:54 AM
...okay, bad news, and possible good news...

the bad news is that I purchased the center link for Chevelles ( the one in the middle of the pic below) and it doesn't have any more of a drop in it than the OE one does. The possible light at the end of this frustrating tunnel is that the one at the top ( the Camaro one, looks like it has more of a drop, and since it's only 1/8" shorter on each side and it has the same taper, I should be able to use it on my Chevelle, so I'm having that one overnighted to me.

Bradley G
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Good luck Billy!
I hope it works out for you.
I will be watching for your progress.

martyo
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Billy: Have you considered putting a rack in it and doing away with the center link?

Loco1234
09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
How about one of these companys that makes specialty Lift kits...
They will probably have or be able to fab a drop for you....

rocknrod
09-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Billy: Have you considered putting a rack in it and doing away with the center link?
I like rack-n-pinion. Just in your case it will be a removal of the orional box, steering column extension or possible replacement, (probably a heim joint attachement to the frame rail to adjust for the u-joints used), possibly a different power steering box. I believe Flaming river? has a valve for the high speed use of a power rack (jerky at high speeds?).
Since your into the building process this is the time to consider it.
But hey, this is why it's so fun to build hot rods:D

martyo
09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I like rack-n-pinion. Just in your case it will be a removal of the orional box, steering column extension or possible replacement, (probably a heim joint attachement to the frame rail to adjust for the u-joints used), possibly a different power steering box. I believe Flaming river? has a valve for the high speed use of a power rack (jerky at high speeds?).
Since your into the building process this is the time to consider it.
But hey, this is why it's so fun to build hot rods:D

IIRC they make kits for this very application too.

BillyGman
09-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Yes, I have considered a rack & pinion set-up, but I really need to choose the easiest and fastest solution possible as long as it's acceptable. I'm really being pressed for time now in the garage whewre I have my car now, and the owner is losing patience with me ( my brother) and he wants my car out of their soon, since my car has been in his garage now and on his lift for the past three months.

So I cannot be taking on another big fabrication project right now, and soon, I'll be working outside in his driveway, in the elements, and soon after thast, I'll be renting a garage to keep the car at. So time is of the essence for me with this car, and unfortunately, I need to make my decisions accordingly, based on the time consumption factor of each pontential choice. I can't help but to think that a rack & pinion set-up will be too time consuming for me right now. And if it would involve replacing the entire steering column, then I wouldn't even consider it.

But I would need some web addresses to the places that you guys are talking about ( other than flaming river, since I was on their website, and wasn't very impressed with what they have to offer). For instance, what is "IIRC"????

martyo
09-13-2006, 04:29 AM
For instance, what is "IIRC"????

Billy: It is just short for If I Recall Correctly.....

Let me do some digging and see what I can find. I do think their are "kits" for what you want to accomplish.

BillyGman
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Billy: It is just short for If I Recall Correctly.....

LOL...... oh, uhmmmm........yeah, uh...I knew that....uhmm, I was just testing you..... :D :lol:

BillyGman
09-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Marty,

I the Howe Racing billet center link made for 70-73 Camaros has just arrived, and it looks like it might work. It has more of a drop to ot than the factory chevelle one does. it's gonna be close!! but I won't find out until tomorrow when I try it out.

martyo
09-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Marty,

I the Howe Racing billet center link made for 70-73 Camaros has just arrived, and it looks like it might work. It has more of a drop to ot than the factory chevelle one does. it's gonna be close!! but I won't find out until tomorrow when I try it out.

Keep me posted.

I will be in the ATL tomorrow night through Sunday with my friends and if you need to some input from them, call me on my cell and I will put them on the line with you.

Good luck!