PDA

View Full Version : Cutting SPRINGS in general.

CRUZTAKER
09-09-2006, 06:16 AM
I am wondering about this idea of spring cutting / trimming.

I know we have discussed this in depth before. I also know that A LOT of people have successfully done this to their Marauders.

What I am wondering...and that's why I posted in the lounge, is if this tactic works on any car?

I want to lower all four corners of my focus.

What'ya think?

Do-able?

martyo
09-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Yes. I droped my one of my Mustangs a bit and it looed sweet and rode great. The only problem was that the quality of the NY roads is pretty unforgiving and I may actually have to raise it back up. :(

CRUZTAKER
09-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Let me go take a pic, and you'll se what I mean.

I would like to kill two birds with one stone here.
One, I want to fill the wheel well a bit without changing rim sizes, and TWO I would like to get a bit more grasp of the road by lowering my center of gravity.

This car is strickly used for business, and is a pleasure to drive, albeit small.

I have had it over 3 months now, and just turned 11,000 miles.

I expect to average 50k years.

Here is pic:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/2/7/FOCUS003Large.jpg

DEFYANT
09-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Did you make this look like a lil'brotha of the MM on purpose? :D

Paint the calipers and put some chrome tips out the back for the "compete" look.

CRUZTAKER
09-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Did you make this look like a lil'brotha of the MM on purpose? :D

Paint the calipers and put some chrome tips out the back for the "compete" look.

Actually the Marauder....and the Aviator...were left alone in the garage for quite some time whilst we roamed the Caribbean.

The focus just appeared one day.:confused:

SergntMac
09-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Seems to be a little "rake" in the rear suspension. Bring that down, and it will look sweet.

Donny Carlson
09-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Let me go take a pic, and you'll se what I mean.

I would like to kill two birds with one stone here.
One, I want to fill the wheel well a bit without changing rim sizes, and TWO I would like to get a bit more grasp of the road by lowering my center of gravity.

Barry, why cut the springs?

Ford Racing offers these:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 5836

MSRP is $199, so you should find them at a discount somewhere. (I know of two Ford dealers in Georga that mail order or Internet FRP at discount)

Then it's reversable if you hate it, or want to sell or trade the car later.

CRUZTAKER
09-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks Donny...

This looks like a very inexpensive solution. $200 for a set of (4)? Am I reading that correctly...

As far as putting it back the way was to sell it. It likely won't matter. Driving roughly 40k a year on this job will be the death of this car in 5 years. The per diem will pay the note in two .

cyclone03
09-10-2006, 10:02 AM
The only thing you need to be careful about is if you are cutting a progressive wound spring.Those springs have (sometimes) the last 3 or 4 coils wound closer together than the others.It's not a big deal you just have to be sure you don't cut off too much.

The Eiboch(spl) drag kit (10years ago) used progressive springs in the rear where cutting the first 2 coils only dropped the car about an inch, but 1 more full coil and it was on the stops and the springs where junk.

I like to crawl under the car, with the weight on the wheels, and look at the springs and how they "sit" on the car.Use a tape measure and measure the distance between the coils if you can(center to center) top of one coil to the bottom of the other. If they all measure the same (they wont) then its a strait rate spring.

The rear will be your biggest problem it may even have a "double wound" (my term) spring with both ends bent or wound tight to fit in the seat,if thats the case you have to change the spring to lower it correctly.

Lowering can be done with progressive springs just be ready to cut them and reinstall them several times so you don't over do it .

Have Fun!:D