PDA

View Full Version : To be sythetic or not to be

jabo731
09-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Sorry guys I know this has been mention somewhere, but I couldn't seem to locate it. With the Auburn Pro diff is it true that you should use only conventional gear oil and not the synthetics.

CRUZTAKER
09-12-2006, 03:17 PM
That is my understanding.

No synthetics in my gear box when Lid did my Auburn.

jabo731
09-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks Cruztaker, I guess it wouldn't hurt to change the fluid after the first 500 miles and just stay with the conventional stuff.

merc
09-12-2006, 07:07 PM
I have done my rear twice and put in conventional gear oil every time. Motorcraft
SAE 75W-90 Fuel Efficient High Performance Lubricant and two bottles of friction modifier

flescher
09-15-2006, 08:13 PM
My experience with racing cars. I use synthetics for every application all the time. Synthetics are simply better then norman petroleum based products. Every application all the time. The only exception is that you need 1500 miles on the normal motor oil to seat the tings before switching to a synthetic. Else the rings don;t set. Isn't that a clue?
H

Sorry guys I know this has been mention somewhere, but I couldn't seem to locate it. With the Auburn Pro diff is it true that you should use only conventional gear oil and not the synthetics.

Mikeenh
09-16-2006, 05:47 AM
The only exception is that you need 1500 miles on the normal motor oil to seat the tings before switching to a synthetic. Else the rings don;t set. Isn't that a clue?
H

My new Trailblazer SS with a Corvette engine comes from the factory with Mobil One ln it. Many of the upper class foreign cars come stock with synthetic. Not sure that rule sticks anymore.