PDA

View Full Version : What do you call the noon and evening meals

crouse
09-16-2006, 07:35 AM
What do you call the noon and evening meals?

I grew up in rural Minnesota and the noon meal is called dinner and the evening meal is called supper. Lunch is a light snack in between any of these meals.

I get confused sometimes because I hear people say why don't you come over for dinner. Or this morning I was watching the weather on tv and the weather person said that the rain would taper off by noon but there was another chance of rain around dinner time. What? I think it relates to where you were raised.

Power Surge
09-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Wow, never heard that one. Breakfast is morning meal, lunch is noon meal, dinner is evening meal. Supper is just another term for dinner.

michael ward
09-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Wow, never heard that one. Breakfast is morning meal, lunch is noon meal, dinner is evening meal. Supper is just another term for dinner. this is how I was brought up..

GarageMahal
09-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Wow, never heard that one. Breakfast is morning meal, lunch is noon meal, dinner is evening meal. Supper is just another term for dinner.

Same here :)

dok
09-16-2006, 08:05 AM
I grew up on a farm in central Iowa. The noon meal was called Dinner and the evening meal was supper. For most farmers, the noon meal was the big meal of the day. During busy season, they would work from 5:00 am until dark. They needed the large meal at noon to get them through the long day.

Bluerauder
09-16-2006, 08:13 AM
I grew up in Baltimore, MD with the breakfast, lunch, dinner tradition. We also used dinner and supper interchangeably. However, it seems to me that supper was more informal and dinner was more for special occasions ... like Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner or visits to the grandparents. :D

Canadasvt
09-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Breakfast,lunch,dinner. But we call the dog's dinner supper as not to confuse her or the kids when we shout it. And tea or coffee time is anyhour of the day.

Blackened300a
09-16-2006, 08:43 AM

Same here. When I was living with my Parents we would ask whats for Din Din? but nothing too unusual about that

VNMUS
09-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Well, I grew up in Scotland. For me, the first meal of the day is Breakfast, followed by Lunch. The evening meal can be called Dinner or Tea (as in Teatime) and if you have a late night snack before bed, that's what's called Supper.

DEFYANT
09-16-2006, 09:12 AM
How abouth this:

Breakfas
Brunch
Lunch
Supper
Dinner
Desert
Midnight Snack

:D

Hauser717
09-16-2006, 09:49 AM
the noon meal is called dinner and the evening meal is called supper.

I grew up on a farm in central Kansas and this is how we called it. Now I live in Kansas City and it's lunch and dinner.

I've read in more than one place that the proper way is that dinner is the principal meal of the day. If dinner is in the evening, then lunch is the noon meal. If the principal meal is at noon, then supper is served in the evening.

But really, I don't care. If I'm hungry, feed me. I don't care what you call it.

SergntMac
09-16-2006, 11:53 AM
The way I was raised, breakfast in the morning, lunch noon-ish and dinner at 5-6 PM. Supper was the big Sunday meal after Church, 2-3 PM in the "dining room".

Also we had a kitchen, living room, dining room, bedrooms and a bath. No "great", or "family" rooms, they were all pretty good rooms.

There was a front stoop, and a back porch, no "decks".

The basement was called a basement, ditto the garage, guess it still is...

And it was a couch, not a davenport.

MM03MOK
09-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Breakfast, lunch and supper. Dinner was only on Sundays in the late afternoon, usually when company came over.

We call it a couch but my elderly great-aunts called it a divan.

Yep, front stoop, back porch, no "family" room or "den" until the 70s. We ate supper at the table as a family, like clockwork at 6pm, 15 min. after Dad arrived home from work. Eating in front of the TV didn't happen until the 80s.

jgc61sr2002
09-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in NY.:D

FordNut
09-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I had it both ways growing up. Confusing, eh?

Breakfast, lunch, dinner or
Breakfast, dinner, supper.

Sometimes we called it
Breakfast, lunch, supper.

I also was told that technically "dinner" is the large meal of the day. So it could be either the noontime or evening meal.

Grifter
09-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Crouse, what part of MN did you grow up?
I grew up in rural MN too.. on The Range..
1st meal = Breakfast
2nd = Lunch
3rd = Supper/Dinner (interchangeable)

KillJoy
09-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

Some folks used supper in the place of dinner :D

KillJoy

Bradley G
09-16-2006, 07:26 PM
I was not as concerned with what anybody called it.
Only concerned with, not missing out.:P

RCSignals
09-17-2006, 01:21 AM
The way I was raised, breakfast in the morning, lunch noon-ish and dinner at 5-6 PM. Supper was the big Sunday meal after Church, 2-3 PM in the "dining room".

Also we had a kitchen, living room, dining room, bedrooms and a bath. No "great", or "family" rooms, they were all pretty good rooms.

There was a front stoop, and a back porch, no "decks".

The basement was called a basement, ditto the garage, guess it still is...

And it was a couch, not a davenport.

Are you sure you aren't a western Canadian?

Mad4Macs
09-17-2006, 02:36 AM
According to the dictionary, most of us have been living a lie!
:lol:

Dinner
dinner |?din?r| noun
the main meal of the day, taken either around midday or in the evening. • a formal evening meal, typically one in honor of a person or event.

Supper
supper |?s?p?r| noun
an evening meal, typically a light or informal one : we had a delicious cold supper | I was sent to bed without any supper. • a late-night dinner. • an evening social event at which food is served.

Bluerauder
09-17-2006, 04:59 AM
The basement was called a basement, ditto the garage, guess it still is....

My basement growing up was a cellar. It was Dad's workshop and Mom's laundry room. No paneling, no TVs or entertainment systems ... unless you wanna count the old fridge that my father added later to hold a case or two of his favorite "work" beverage. :D