jimlam56
09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GM_FORD?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=HOME

Meteorite
09-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Now bigslim will be able to buy a Camaro on A-Plan! :beatnik:

O's Fan Rich
09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Yep.... and the Democrats and Republicans are joining forces.
How about that Muslim/Jewish union, huh? Ain't that sumptin'?
Then there is that whole Evoultionist/Creationist mind meld......

merc6
09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
CF Marauder with LS7 PLEASE! Or better yet a chevy with door key pad lol!

Loco1234
09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
All we need now is an alien invasion to unite the world........
for a common cause......

TAF
09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Ford/GM merger will happen when monkeys fly out of Donny's butt.....

hitchhiker
09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Ford/GM merger will happen when monkeys fly out of Donny's butt.....

As long as it's not Gerbils!

:D

duhtroll
09-18-2006, 03:34 PM
No, that would be Ford/Renault merger.

Ford/Chevy is like redneck/slicker combo.

Yep.... and the Democrats and Republicans are joining forces.
How about that Muslim/Jewish union, huh? Ain't that sumptin'?
Then there is that whole Evoultionist/Creationist mind meld......

MarauderTJA
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
The way the American auto industry is headed, it may be a viable option:confused:

bigslim
09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Now bigslim will be able to buy a Camaro on A-Plan! :beatnik:
That would be sweet. :D BTW, I already can. I got the big three covered.

JMan
09-19-2006, 02:46 AM
OMG!
Consider the sources. The AP and the St. Petersburg Times. Does it get any more YELLOW than that? I seriously, from a stockholders standpoint, doubt we will see any Big2 mergers. Co-operation, yes. Merger, not!

Granted, I have been wrong before. But it's all about the shareholders. And in the case of the YELLOW rags, it's all about degrading this society!

My $.02.

J

Meteorite
09-19-2006, 03:23 AM
Consider the sources. The AP and the St. Petersburg Times. Does it get any more YELLOW than that? I seriously, from a stockholders standpoint, doubt we will see any Big2 mergers. Co-operation, yes. Merger, not!

I think you are exactly right, JMan. I have had a somewhat close-up view of Ford and GM's cooperation on their new (almost identical) 6-speed FWD transaxle. There are subtle differences between the way we will make it and the way GM will make it. But it still achieves the "economy of scale" that you get from producing, say, a million of the same transmission.

I think this will be the pattern for cooperation going forward.

When this news hit the Detroit radio news, the word "merger" was absent for about the 1st day, and then only later began to creep in. I think it is mere speculation by the media poeple.

Bluerauder
09-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Word today on the news is that "merger" is off the table completely. Must have been a brain cramp that has been rectified. Even if this was considered briefly, the word "Merger" means more cuts in personnel and labor, especially in the so called efficiencies that are obtained by combining overhead and G&A functions of HR, Accounting, Marketing, Management, etc. Dropping this "bomb" only days after the announcement of the buyout and the reductions already planned seems ill-concieved at best. :o

Of course, it might have been a tactical move to increase the numbers of folks taking the buyout now ...... They wouldn't do that would they?? :rolleyes:

chrish
09-19-2006, 07:32 PM
now they can burn thru 5 billion a quarter, as a team ...OR a family:)
At this rate bill gates can buy & finance all their chinanigans, including warren buffets $ he just gave him, for up to 1 year before being pennyless.

did you know that LEAD brought down the roman empire?

BAD MERC
09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
What would you call it? General Oval? FoMoSlow? Oval Motors? The ONLY 'GM' that should ever be mentioned when referring to Ford is "Grand Marquis".

LVMarauder
09-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Wow, What is the world coming too.

Marauderjack
09-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Several years ago Ford tried a purchasing program headed up by a guy named Sheridan......The plan was to get major suppliers to fill out a spread sheet divulging ALL OF THEIR PRODUCTION COSTS AND PROFITS AS WELL AS REVEAL RAW MATERIAL SOURCES for all products supplied to Ford!!!:mad2: It was supposed to "Enlighten" Ford management as to supply sources so they may "Help" suppliers purchase raw materials using Ford's purchasing POWER!!??:confused: RIGHT!!!!!:eek:

Needless to say it has failed BIG time and.....voila Sheridan ended up as VP-Purchasing of a company we USED to sell to!!:argue:

We tried to comply with his requirements under this absurd program but it began to get ridiculuos and we are now out at this company and so is he!!!!!!!:bs:

I hope Ford and whomever they may aquire or merge with will respect the virtues of "Free Enterprise" and "Capitalism" since their past efforts didn't work for them and probably destroyed many a good supplier!!:shake:

I hope our auto industry doesn't take the paths of our Textile Companies over the last 35 years.....continuous spiral mostly because of false economies surrounding them......'NUF SAID!!!:(

Marauderjack:nono: