PDA

View Full Version : Chin Spoiler On My Silver Birch.....

Marauderjack
09-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I liked the look of the "Chin Spoiler" on Blackened300a's car and have never cared for my blower plumbing showing below the bumper....soooooo...I got one and installed it this AM......I like the results on a Silver car!!:beer:

I just hope it stays put??:eek:

Ford Part Number is 3R3Z-17626-AAA

Whatcha think??:bandit:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Blackened300a
09-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Looks great on the Silver Birch! What did you use to mount it?

Hotrauder
09-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Put a little Armor-All on it and it will look great. Nice mod. Mine is in the trunk waiting for some ambitious guy to install it. :D Dennis

MdnightMarauder
09-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Looks great guys. Yeah what did you guys use to mount it? Very interested in putting it on mine.

Shora
09-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Looks nice on the SB. Let us know how it holdsup.

SID210SA
09-21-2006, 08:36 AM
I think you need the Defyant lower grille mod to compliment it....

magindat
09-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Put a little Armor-All on it and it will look great. Nice mod. Mine is in the trunk waiting for some ambitious guy to install it. :D Dennis

If you got tools and stuff, maybe we can do it after the show on Saturday.

magindat
09-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately, I think there's probly something better. I don't care for how narrow it is leaving the space on the sides.

It is a nice, clean install though. Enjoy it.

Marauderjack
09-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks Guys.....It turned out better than the photos show!!:beer:

What I did was get some outdoor carpet tape from Lowes, cut small squares and mount them all around the surface of the spoiler. My thought was that the tape would hold it in place temporarily while I marked where it needed to be but the tape is very aggressive on the painted bumper so if you decide to do it this way use only a piece here and there!!:cool: Also, you need to remove two of the Ford body bolts that hold the flaps behind the fog lamps in place.....these will be used to secure the spoiler at each of these points. All you need to do is drill a larger hole for them to go back into.:)

Once it was where I wanted it I drilled a very small pilot hole in each mounting slot starting from the center and working my way out making sure everything was lined up. I used #10 SS sheet metal screws and #10x1 SS fender washers to secure it to the bumper. My plan was to use aluminum strips behind the bumper to add strength but the screws are plenty secure by themselves so I may just skip the backing strips??:confused:

I ran to town awhile ago and got her up to about 70 and didn't hear any flapping out there and it looked fine when I returned so I guess it's OK!!:banana:

I don't know how it would hold up to 100+ MPH but I don't go that fast very often....maybe someone else can shed some light on this??;)

Thank you Blackened300a for your idea and info.....it hides the blower pipes perfectly!!:bows:

Marauderjack:burnout:

crouse
09-21-2006, 10:26 AM
What if you used christmas tree fasteners instead of screws. My only thought was if you hit something would it breakaway without damaging the front bumper. Would the christmas tree fasteners hold it tight enough to the front bumper?

ctrlraven
09-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Man that's just how I pictured it looking. Can't wait to get mine on.
Last month I helped my friend put one on his 2000 Mustang GT, it was all folded up from being shipped but I just took a low temp heat gun and kept passing over it until it straightened out and I just used auto painters masking tape to hold it up and it worked fine with about 10 pieces of tape lol.

Blackened300a
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't know how it would hold up to 100+ MPH but I don't go that fast very often....maybe someone else can shed some light on this??;)

I have gone 130+ MPH and it stayed on and in place. At our next private track meet, Im going for the 140MPH test and Video tape the run to make sure it isnt folding back or deforming at higher speeds.

Glad my pics inspired you!

Power Surge
09-21-2006, 11:30 AM
On my Interceptor, I used the plastic push in pins, that have the screw in the center. You push them through the hole, then push the screw in and it widens on the back of the hole. I wouldn't use the christmas tree ones, they don't hold that well.

Marauderjack
09-21-2006, 11:54 AM
crouse,

It comes with three Xmas tree fasteners and I guess it is held in place with them while screws are being installed. It is for a Mach I Mustang (02-04) I think and you may look at one of them to see how it is attached??:confused:

Personally, I wouldn't trust the push in fasteners as it has to have pretty good wind load to hold a 4400# car on the road!!:eek:

I also thing it would fold up and destroy itself before tearing the bumper up....We'll see....:cool:

Marauderjack:D

jimlam56
09-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Dennis, maybe you could get Zack to put little diamonds on it?:beer:

KAILUAZ
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
I had one on my 04 GT and now on the Vic, It isnt going anywhere using the Ford push pins. Looks great by the way!

FastMerc
09-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Looks pretty good stay away from high curbs.

Glenn
09-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I just got mine today from Bleakley Ford. It comes form Ford in a HUGE thin box - 4' x 6+'. It is not folded. It has 3 Christmas tree push pins. Very nice looking. Will install it this weekend.

What are the Net's thoughts - will the spoiler help in reducing air flow under the car and therefore help in streamlining the MM or is it just for "good looks".

Glenn

DirtyDog
09-21-2006, 08:25 PM
I used the push pins (15) and held fine, no gaps created at 100.

Joe Walsh
09-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Anyone have a part number on the 'push pins'/ removeable plastic plugs?

(Marianne's Subaru has them on the plastic oil drain access plate under the car.)

I've got a chin spoiler on order with Wes!

DirtyDog
09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Anyone have a part number on the 'push pins'/ removeable plastic plugs?

(Marianne's Subaru has them on the plastic oil drain access plate under the car.)

I've got a chin spoiler on order with Wes!

I got mine at the Automotive Paint store. Two packages of 8 each, total cost $5.00. Fits a 1/4" hole, 3/4" long, 3/4" head.