PDA

View Full Version : Flying Car Concept.... Should Ford step it up...

Loco1234
09-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Check this car/plane concept out...

http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/flying-cars/20060914090009990001

Meteorite
09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Naaaah ... Studebaker tried that a long time ago (http://bondobilly.com/bugsport.html), and you see where they ended up! :D

merc406
09-21-2006, 11:53 AM
We have enogh ahole drivers on the roads, try to imagine the same one's in the air. :bigcry:

Meteorite
09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
We have enogh ahole drivers on the roads, try to imagine the same one's in the air. :bigcry:
Well, and think of the police stops: Okay, I'd like you to step out of the aircraft, Mr. Smith. Please keep your hands in plain sight. :lol:

Bluerauder
09-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes, and the turn signals that they wouldn't be using would have left, right, up, and down. :rofl:

Loco1234
09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
All funny comments....

exactly what i needed on a slow day at work...

duhtroll
09-21-2006, 01:51 PM
You mean "plane" sight, right?

Well, and think of the police stops: Okay, I'd like you to step out of the aircraft, Mr. Smith. Please keep your hands in plain sight. :lol:

duhtroll
09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't need no stinking flying car.

I'll settle for weapon hardpoints on my car.

StevenJ
09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
http://www.madsk.dk/uploaded_images/p415b%5B1%5D-763561.jpg

http://www.thegreenhead.com/technology/images/m400-flying-skycar-2.jpg

Only $500,000 with a $25,000 down payment! It's a VTOL aircraft and it will be FAA legal as early as 2008! Martyo, I know you want one! Moller is the real sky car wave of the future. Just imagine, all you have to do is taxi down to the mini airport and the thing TAKES OFF vertically! It isn't just concept either. It has had several successful test flights in which the craft has hovered above the ground succesfully time and time again. All they have to wait for now is permission to fly the thing untethered. How can you not like it? 1,200 hp, 20 mpg, and tops out at 375 mph! Only $500,000! You know you want to be one of the first ones on the block with your new Moler Sky car:P!

http://www.moller.com/skycar/m400/

Bluerauder
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
It has had several successful test flights in which the craft has hovered above the ground succesfully time and time again. All they have to wait for now is permission to fly the thing untethered.
I think that I will hold off until the US Marines Corps goes to full production with the V-22. They've been working that for 20 years + and still occasionally lose one during test flights. There's a reason the "Sky Car" is hooked to a crane behind it. :rolleyes:

FastMerc
09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh ya I can see it now remember star wars,multi level invisable roads,not enough police to cover the roads now.Oh I forgot ONstar just stop it and land it for the police:baaa:

StevenJ
09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I think that I will hold off until the US Marines Corps goes to full production with the V-22. They've been working that for 20 years + and still occasionally lose one during test flights. There's a reason the "Sky Car" is hooked to a crane behind it. :rolleyes:

I know I know but I still love the vehicle. It's soo awsome! Harriers were pretty reliable weren't they? They were jet powered though. This has four rotary ethanol powered motors.

Marauderjack
09-22-2006, 03:42 AM
I'll bet it glides like a BRICK if a motor goes out!!!:argue:

And I worried about a neighbor when he got his pilots license....He liked to fly around at night over our houses??!!:cool:

Imagine a sky full of these things with everyday "IDIOTS" at the controls!!:help:

Marauderjack:shake:

Bluerauder
09-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Harriers were pretty reliable weren't they? They were jet powered though.

I saw my first Harrier AV-8B during an airshow in the mid-1970's. I was awestruck because I didn't know it had moved out of the R&D phase. There were lots of problems with control of the Harrier initially as well. Computers control the engines and their angles. It is a fly by wire system. I have been told that if the computer control malfunctions, the plane cannot be controlled manually at all. But I guess that is true of our cars today too. :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
09-22-2006, 04:48 AM
I saw my first Harrier AV-8B during an airshow in the mid-1970's. I was awestruck because I didn't know it had moved out of the R&D phase. There were lots of problems with control of the Harrier initially as well. Computers control the engines and their angles. It is a fly by wire system. I have been told that if the computer control malfunctions, the plane cannot be controlled manually at all. But I guess that is true of our cars today too. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but when our car's computer goes on the blink we can coast onto the shoulder....

BTW: How long do you think it'll be before someone 'RICES' out their car-plane with chrome fart pipes???

SergntMac
09-22-2006, 05:10 AM
I don't believe I read this whole thread...

StevenJ
09-22-2006, 09:40 AM

Neat... But back in the 70's computers were ehh. Now adays, they got back up systems ontop of back up so I wouldn't worry quiet as much. Also, Moler claims that it can hover if one motor is out.

I'll bet it glides like a BRICK if a motor goes out!!!:argue:

And I worried about a neighbor when he got his pilots license....He liked to fly around at night over our houses??!!:cool:

Imagine a sky full of these things with everyday "IDIOTS" at the controls!!:help:

Marauderjack:shake:

LOL! If Moler's dream ever comes true, the thing will be automatically piloted by a nation wide computer airway system. It will all be done on auto pilot with planned airways so there won't be any 'accidents'! I don't know about that part but it is still cool.