PDA

View Full Version : Costco's & BFG 255/55 KDW2

STLR FN
09-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Found out today that Costco's(at least the one I deal with) will NOT SELL a 255/55/18 BFG KDW2 for our Marauders cause it is not listed as an optional tire. Didn't even bother to argue as the tech was pretty "stern" in not selling it. Go figure :shake:

LVMarauder
09-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Fear not, I bought my rear 255/55/18 BFG KDW2's at my local costco with no trouble. I like the nitrogen they use as well. Go back when that ass wipe isn't there. If they still wont budge , tell them they lost your business and try somewhere else.

edit- your going to love those tires by the way. Serious grip dry, good traction wet. Lasts a very long time considering what they go through. And the tread pattern is SWEET!

Rider90
09-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Why doesn't anyone say it's for a street rod project? or your SUV? Get them mounted and balanced elsewhere.

Taximan
09-23-2006, 06:26 PM
That's precisely what I did with my Lincoln. They refused to mount the oversized tires I selected so I purchased them and had them mounted elsewhere. They claim that it is due to liability issues.

merc
09-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I wrote this E-mail to Costco in 2005

I was visiting my local Costco warehouse tire center where I was investigating tire selections for my car ( Mercury Marauder 2003). The sales person informed they didn't sell the tire I requested because it's not in the computer. I was looking to purchase a set of BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW 255/R55/18 RF. I was disappointed that Costco could not order the requested tire. The next week, in my travels I visited another Costco tire center. Low and behold I saw several high performance tires on display. One of them was a T/A KDW 235/40/R17. My joy was sort lived, because the sale person informed me that he couldn't order the tire I was requesting because it was not specified for my car. He also explained that because of legal reasons ordering and mounting was not an option. Below is a comparison of stock vs. optional Stock tire size is BF Goodrich KDWS 245/55/ZR18 Section width on measuring rim with = 9.9 on 8.0
Max load on psi =1929@44psi
Requested tire size BF Goodrich BF Goodrich KDW 255/R55/18 RF
Section width on measuring rim with 10.4 on 8.0
Max load on psi= 2065@50psi

If this information is true, then why does Costco advertise BF Goodrich drag radials in some of their locations? This tire was never offered as an O.E.M selection for any cars distributed in America. It seems that there is much confusion about this issue. What I do know is that I can purchase the requested tire from tirerack.com and have a local Mercury dealer install and balance my tire. What's wrong with this picture ?

Dear Mark,

Thank you for emailing costco.com. The final decision to install a tire on
a vehicle will be made by the Costco Tire center manager or supervisor. The
tire must meet all vehicle manufacturers safety standards and
specifications. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for
you.

Sincerely,

Jeanne T. J.
customerservice@costco.com

STLR FN
09-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Why doesn't anyone say it's for a street rod project? or your SUV? Get them mounted and balanced elsewhere.Never thought of it. Give it a try next time.

I wrote this E-mail to Costco in 2005

I was visiting my local Costco warehouse tire center where I was
investigating tire selections for my car ( Mercury Marauder 2003). The sales person informed they didn't sell the tire I requested because it's not in
the computer. I was looking to purchase a set of BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW 255/R55/18 RF. I was disappointed that Costco could not order the requested tire. The next week, in my travels I visited another Costco tire center.
Low and behold I saw several high performance tires on display. One of them was a T/A KDW 235/40/R17. My joy was sort lived, because the sale person informed me that he couldn't order the tire I was requesting because it was not specified for my car. He also explained that because of legal reasons ordering and mounting was not an option. Below is a comparison of stock vs. optional Stock tire size is BF Goodrich KDWS 245/55/ZR18 Section width on measuring rim with = 9.9 on 8.0
Max load on psi =1929@44psi
Requested tire size BF Goodrich BF Goodrich KDW 255/R55/18 RF
Section width on measuring rim with 10.4 on 8.0
Max load on psi= 2065@50psi

If this information is true, then why does Costco advertise BF Goodrich drag radials in some of their locations? This tire was never offered as an O.E.M selection for any cars distributed in America. It seems that there is much confusion about this issue. What I do know is that I can purchase the
requested tire from tirerack.com and have a local Mercury dealer install and balance my tire. What's wrong with this picture ?And their response was????

merc
09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I have talked to my local Costco service manager and their new claim is
they can't order the requested tire, but can mount the tire if order through
Costco. My question in return is " Can this tire be special ordered and sent
to my home". I understand tire safety Standards, but what I don't understand
is why I can't order this tire from Costco stores or online. The Manassas
Virginia store has agreed to mount the tires, but again it must be purchased
though Costco.

You can Call me directly if needed xx-xxx-xxxx

Mark J.White

STLR FN
09-23-2006, 07:20 PM
I have talked to my local Costco service manager and their new claim is
they can't order the requested tire, but can mount the tire if order through
Costco. My question in return is " Can this tire be special ordered and sent
to my home". I understand tire safety Standards, but what I don't understand
is why I can't order this tire from Costco stores or online. The Manassas
Virginia store has agreed to mount the tires, but again it must be purchased
though Costco.

You can Call me directly if needed xx-xxx-xxxx

Mark J.WhiteWhat the hell kinda double speak is this? They can't order the tire but they'll mount it if ordered through Costco.:shake: Or does he mean Costco.com

Oh Well doesn't matter they wanted $150 per tire and Belle Tire here in Mich is cheaper.

Skiordie53
09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
did that to me when i went to purchase them for mine, thank g-d my local mechanic took care of things for me.

Shora
09-24-2006, 06:51 AM
They told me that they will not order them for me because the 255/55/18 KDW2 has a lower speed rating than the front 235/45/18 KDW2. They said that they must either match speed ratings front and back or the rears have the higher rating.

I told them that they are rated for a higher speed than I will ever go but they would not budge.

rumble
09-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Found out today that Costco's(at least the one I deal with) will NOT SELL a 255/55/18 BFG KDW2 for our Marauders cause it is not listed as an optional tire. Didn't even bother to argue as the tech was pretty "stern" in not selling it. Go figure :shake:

Quit screwing with them. They obviously don't have a clue about what you are trying to do.
Call the Tire Rack to get the KDW2's and ask them who will mount their tires in your area.

Why waste time and energy on some one who gives you a hassle?

StevenJ
09-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Quit screwing with them. They obviously don't have a clue about what you are trying to do.
Call the Tire Rack to get the KDW2's and ask them who will mount their tires in your area.

Why waste time and energy on some one who gives you a hassle?

X2! Tire rack rules and their shipping isn't too expensive. That's how I got my rear set of KDW2s! Just go to your local L/M dealer and they should be more than willing to mount and balance them.

merc
09-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Do your math. Tirerack is not the end all. In many cases, not all, Costco has a better deal for the life of the tire. I have purchased from both and other internet tire warehouses.

Tirerack
245/55WR18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS Blackwall
Price 138.00
UPS Ground 2 Business Days $ 17.07 (Depending on your zipcode)
Total price excluding install:

Costco
Shipping, Handling, and Installation Included in Price
Price 156.99

An Installation Charge of $10.00 per tire is included in the price. This includes:

Mounting
Lifetime balancing
Lifetime rotation
Lifetime flat repair
Lifetime air pressure checks
New rubber valve stem
Costco Wholesale's road hazard warranty

GarageMahal
09-24-2006, 01:38 PM
For what its worth, the Ford dealer that services my MM ordered and installed the KDW2 tires without any issues and the price was within $5 per wheel of everywhere else I looked.

$20 for no hassles - money well spent.

jta

P.S. They also took extra care of the rims (of course I was watching like a hawk too)

rumble
09-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Do your math. Tirerack is not the end all. In many cases, not all, Costco has a better deal for the life of the tire. I have purchased from both and other internet tire warehouses.

Tirerack
Price 138.00
UPS Ground 2 Business Days $ 17.07 (Depending on your zipcode)
Total price excluding install:

Costco
Shipping, Handling, and Installation Included in Price
Price 156.99

An Installation Charge of $10.00 per tire is included in the price. This includes:

Mounting
Lifetime balancing
Lifetime rotation
Lifetime flat repair
New rubber valve stem

Yes, your logic is completely correct and in that instance it's the way to go. However we were talking about 255/55R18, not 245/55R18.
It appears from what your investigation has shown and RTLR FN's experience, Costco won't sell us the desired tire and size. If you do in fact want the KDW2's then obviously you will have to shop elsewhere.

merc
09-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, your logic is completely correct and in that instance it's the way to go. However we were talking about 255/55R18, not 245/55R18.
It appears from what your investigation has shown and RTLR FN's experience, Costco won't sell us the desired tire and size. If you do in fact want the KDW2's then obviously you will have to shop elsewhere.

Since the subject is about Costco and 255/55/18 BFG tires. Hear is the hint. Since they sell the tire specified in this tread, all that is needed is to find the car that is specified for resale. They also sell BFG drag radials. What car uses drag radials for O.E.M. shoes. The point is if you want to purchase from Costco it will be tricky to navigate through corporate ignorance, but it can be done.

jgc61sr2002
09-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Costco is the way to go IMO.:D

Shaft333
09-25-2006, 04:38 AM
You can cancel your membership for a refund.

Certainly go elsewhere for your tires. They might have a better price, but not a better deal... unless you enjoy fighting with their people to get the job done.

SouLRioT
09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
FYI, I was given the reason as the speed rating aswell. I got them to order them, but had to go elsewere for the install.

Marauderjack
09-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Speed Rating??:argue:

These cars are computer limited to 119 MPH or so!!:rolleyes:

Marauderjack:burnout:

rumble
09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Since the subject is about Costco and 255/55/18 BFG tires. Hear is the hint. Since they sell the tire specified in this tread, all that is needed is to find the car that is specified for resale. They also sell BFG drag radials. What car uses drag radials for O.E.M. shoes. The point is if you want to purchase from Costco it will be tricky to navigate through corporate ignorance, but it can be done.

Good point. What car does use the 255/55/r18?

Also how do you get Costco to then install them on your MM?
Just take the wheels in and have the mounted and ballanced.
Wouldn't that defeat:

Lifetime balancing
Lifetime rotation
Lifetime flat repair

I am new to Costco so I really don't know what their policy's are.

SergntMac
09-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I am new to Costco so I really don't know what their policy's are.Doesn't sound like I want to know.

merc
09-27-2006, 03:53 PM
According to Costco.com the Porsche Truck/Cayenne Turbo AWD uses a 255/55R18 109Y Standard Tire, but they don't offer a selection. I will check with the counter guy and see what their in store database brings up.

Good point. What car does use the 255/55/r18?

Also how do you get Costco to then install them on your MM?
Just take the wheels in and have the mounted and ballanced.
Wouldn't that defeat:

Lifetime balancing
Lifetime rotation
Lifetime flat repair

I am new to Costco so I really don't know what their policy's are.

Breadfan
09-27-2006, 04:06 PM
IF you can get them through Costco and installed at Costco it's the way to go - for that price for the tires and only $10/tire for mounting and balancing it's the way to go. I paid well over $100 for mounting and balancing my KDW2's at a local shop plus TireRack shipping.

IF Costco was easier my oh my that'd be the best choice, hopefully there is a workaround and if so I will remember that for next time.

jgc61sr2002
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Costco is the way to go IMO. :D Good treatment and never a hassel on road hazzard. Modern equipment with no damage to alu. wheels.
The also torque the lug nuts to spec.

merc
09-28-2006, 09:38 AM
According to Costco.com the Porsche Truck/Cayenne Turbo AWD uses a 255/55R18 109Y Standard Tire, but they don't offer a selection. I will check with the counter guy and see what their in store database brings up.

I found an exact hit.

Year: 2005 Make: Volkswagen Trucks Model: Touareg V8

Michelin® 4 x 4 Diamaris 255/55R18 253.99
BFGoodrich® g-Force T/A KDW 255/55R18 140.99

Now you can order online. :beer: System defeated

Tire Racks price is 129 + 15.02 Shipping (single tire order)= 144.02

Shora
09-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I found an exact hit.

Year: 2005 Make: Volkswagen Trucks Model: Touareg V8

Michelin® 4 x 4 Diamaris 255/55R18 253.99
BFGoodrich® g-Force T/A KDW 255/55R18 140.99

Now you can order online. :beer: System defeated

Tire Racks price is 129 + 15.02 Shipping (single tire order)= 144.02

You can order online, but when you arrive with your Marauder and ask them to install them you are going to have problems.

I Guess that that info still helps those who just want to "order" them and get them installed else where.

merc
09-28-2006, 11:21 AM
You can order online, but when you arrive with your Marauder and ask them to install them you are going to have problems.

I Guess that that info still helps those who just want to "order" them and get them installed else where.

I would contact the local tire center and create a relationship. As long as you purchase the tire from Costco they usually don't care what car you put them on. As a reminder they sell and can special order BGF Drag Radials. A agreement can be made for anything, the reality is you can purchase the desired tire and have them mounted by Costco. Ask me how I know !