PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pedal

piglet
09-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Gents,

Just got off the phone with the Kenny Brown fellas. I ordered a dead pedal for $75.00.

They told me they were installing two of them today on two Marauder's and they would take a few pictures to help me in the installation.

Once I get the dead pedal and install it I will post my findings.

Logan
09-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Please do, I look forward to seeing it! :)

james_hart6
09-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by piglet
Just got off the phone with the Kenny Brown fellas. I ordered a dead pedal for $75.00...Once I get the dead pedal and install it I will post my findings.

Thanks!

Jim

mensrea
09-29-2002, 06:31 AM
Did you ever get your dead pedal, how's it look/work?

piglet
09-29-2002, 07:44 AM
Still am waiting for the dead pedal to arrive. I was hoping it would have arrived by now. I will call them on Monday and see the status of the pedal.

mensrea
10-02-2002, 06:09 AM
Any news on the dead pedal?

predator
10-02-2002, 08:25 AM
Funny. The first thing I noticed when I climbed behind the wheel for my test drive last weekend—where the f*** is the dead pedal?

piglet
10-02-2002, 02:45 PM
Gents,

Spoke with the Kenny Brown folks on Monday and they told me that they are still coming up with the directions. So when I get it you all will hear about it.

piglet
10-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Gents,

Just got my dead pedal kit. Took a look at the install directions and they are straight forward. However, they forgot to send me a templete for me to use to drill through my kick. So I had them fax it to my squadron and I will pick it up tomorrow.

I will let everyone know how it goes in and I will take some pictures as well.

piglet
10-12-2002, 10:13 AM
Gents,

Here is my after action report on the Dead Pedal.

I received my dead pedal last night. I was missing the temple/ pattern needed to drill two 1/4" holes into the left plastic kick plate. They fax me the pattern to my squadron and I went by late last night to get the fax.

Instructions:

(2) two pages with the second page being only digital pictures.

Tools needed:

10 MM deep and regular sockets.
Alan Wretch
1/4" drill bit with drill

Installation:

EASY, I am not a mechanical inclined individual and it took me less than an hour. The instructions call for (1) one hour.

You are on your knees so some sort of kneepad is nice. I used our garden knee pad, you all might have one in the garage.

It is a 9-step process.

The dead pedal mounting bracket mounts behind your hood release handle. If you take the lower left plastic kick panel off you will see the hood release bracket. All you have to do is remove the bracket and place the Dead Pedal mounting bracket under it and replace the hood release bracket on top of the Dead Pedal mounting bracket.

You have to drill (2) two holes into the lower left plastic kick panel. The template/ pattern is very accurate. I cut mine out and placed it on the kick panel and marked it with a notch from a nail.

Once the Dead pedal mounting bracket and hood release bracket is installed you are almost done. You will re-install the plastic kick plate with the pre-drilled holes.

Once you have this complete you will install the "Pedal" to the Dead Pedal mounting bracket through the predrilled holes in the plastic kick plate. Line-up was a breeze.

Driving Impressions:

Very comfortable. It is inline with the brake and gas pedal and gives your left foot somewhere to sit. It also is great when taking corners to help stabilize you in your seat.

Recommendations:

Taking the lower left plastic kick plate off is easy however use caution when removing. There are (2) two white plastic bolts that are used to attach the kick plate to the car. They are pull out plastic bolts (no tools required) and are located on just above and below the hood release handle.

There is plenty of light from the lower light bulb in the floorboard. However after about 15 minutes or so the interior lights will cut off. So you can simply close the door and re-open it to reset the timer.

Sorry for no digital pictures, my next-door neighbor already headed out to see Aerosmith and Kid Rock in Raleigh.

Hope this gives you an idea about the installation.

I highly recommend this very easy and inexpensive mod.

KazMan
10-14-2002, 07:10 PM
I sent an e-mail to Kenny Brown
today asking for a picture of their DEAD Pedal.

They sent one back, but I can't post it, I think it may be too big. :(

If anyone wants it just tell me where to send it.

MAD-3R
10-15-2002, 05:49 AM
Well, looks like a new addition to the Tech Page. :)

Moparzz
10-16-2002, 04:44 AM
Of all the add-ons I've read about, the dead pedal is the top accessory on my list right now. My last several cars have had this and I feel lost in the Marauder with no place for "My Left Foot". (Wasn't there a movie about that?) How do I contact Kenny Brown now that the dead pedal is available with full instructions?

Thanks for your help.

mensrea
10-16-2002, 05:49 AM
Call 317-247-5320

Logan
10-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Pic of the dead pedal...

bozobill
10-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Strong enough would not be the issue for me. Rather what happens when the leading edge of that bracket is forced completely THRU your left foot at the ankle during a front-end collision!! Anyone think that far ahead?

piglet
10-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Bozobill,

I installed this pedal in my Marauder last Saturday. It is very strong as the metal used is very thick. It holds me just fine when I put my weight (185lbs) on it. I believe Kenny Browns design is solid and not flawed. As for the leading edge forced completely through your left foot and ankle in an accident, I don't see that as a factor. If you get into that hard of a collision you have more to worry about than the dead pedal, i.e. steering column, gas/ break pedal, dash board.

I fly for a living and everything we do is assessed by a process called “ORM” (operational risk management) and I would not give this dead pedal a second though on the side of safety. If you did get harpooned by it well, I guess Kenny would owe you a complimentary super charger.

Piglet

modular46
10-16-2002, 06:21 PM
I don't think they understand just how big my left foot is.

mensrea
10-16-2002, 06:59 PM
Modular..Finally some humor!!! Keep it coming.

Piglet, Kenny is doing my ENTIRE car so I don't think his setup is flawed.

KSMM03
10-16-2002, 07:34 PM
Maybe its me, and I'm hooked on asthetics and all, but is that mounted to the side i.e. the plastic? Wouldn't it have made sense to mount it to the floor board?

I mean it looks, and its kind of hard to tell, that if you kind of put some pressure on it, the metal attaching it to the side would bend.

mensrea
10-16-2002, 07:35 PM
I don't think it's mounted to the plastic, I think it's mounted to the metal/frme on the side and you just bolt through the plastic.

Piglet, can you describe>???

piglet
10-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Mensrea and all,

It mounts behind the lower left plastic kick panel under the hood release handle. So the mounting bracket is bolted to the vechical. Two small 1/4" holes are drilled through the lower left plastic kick plate where the "pedal" attaches to the mounting bracket. It is strong and I have not one concern with it. There is nothing "cheesy" about the set-up. Would purchase it again for double the money.

bozobill
10-16-2002, 09:47 PM
piglet: A stump for a KB supercharger? Fair exchange. It's the right foot that does all the work anyway. Plus you wouldn't even NEED the dead pedal after that.

But seriously, all dead pedals I've ever seen were essentially raised protrusions from the floorboard and would not be incidental to foot injuries in the event of a serious front-end collision. Just worried about ya...and the possibilities.

GForceSS
10-17-2002, 12:12 PM
This is the Dead Pedal I designed and sold for the Impala SS forum members for just $40.00 each. I thought Kenny Brown would have copied my hidden bracket and screw design, but I guess it was not possible with the Maurader's floor board. Love the Maurader and I was offered one already by my buddy at a local Merc dealership. Hmm.. Tempting but...

Milt

http://home.attbi.com/~miltbetty1/wsb/media/8503/site1.jpg

mtnh
10-17-2002, 12:28 PM
It's too bad that they didn't design a deal pedal for integration into the adjustable moving pedals assembly! That whole lower cockpit area is designed with adaptability in mind, but a statically mounted dead pedal then removes that part of the adaptability.

Myself, I just usually find it more comfortable with my left foot drawn in close to the seat, with my knee up high, it makes a great armrest for my left (cruising) hand to hold the wheel at 8 o'clock. My daily driver has a built-in dead pedal from floor to firewall (Lincoln LS) and I rarely find myself needing it (just on the back roads or on-ramps, hello G-forces!) The panther platform just seems to lack a proper left armrest to my driving style. That is where my left knee comes in handy.

mensrea
10-18-2002, 06:20 AM
Piglet,
Does the dead pedal intrude at all into the foot well. This car really needed a dead pedal, especially with the "big comfy couch" seats we have. Much cheaper to install a dead pedal than upgrade the seats

I think this may be the best bang for the buck improvement out there....

MercCougarXR7
10-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Hey Guys - it's not very pretty, but what I've done - is taken a BRICK and put that into my car.

It does impede the parking brake's travel, but it's very comfortable for those long drives, and gives me something to put my weight on while cranking a right turn. One benefit - it's adjustable in that I can move it forwards or backwards.

What I may do to keep it from rolling over is pull up the carpet, and mount a shaped chunk of wood (in place of the brick) under it, and cover it all up for a presentable interior.

mensrea
12-05-2002, 12:17 PM
Folks,
Now that I have spent a couple of weeks in my car I have to tell you that the dead pedal is hands down the best modification I have made. I urge all of you to consider putting one in. It is NOT weak, it holds my 6'4 280 lb butt just fine, and it really increases the joy of driving. BUY ONE!

tomt41
12-05-2002, 01:12 PM
I just installed a dead pedal myself. Use Piglets instructions, they are a bit more detailed then KB Performance and excellent. The template isnt exact either, so your hole in kickpanel may have to be adjusted- Mine is 3/8" but pedal bracket covers it. Also keep a Tap handy as the nut welded to the support bracket strips easy- Now of course, I have 10 thumbs- but if I can get a good professional like install- anyone can.
I also stripped the 1 bolt for the hood release bracket that needs to be used. Be careful its a thin sheetmetal panel and too much muscle will wing it. I just slammed a 1 size larger screw in and it works great. My opinions on pedal- At first I found it uncomforatbly high- There was still a few inches room to the floor that I felt could have been used- If your pedal height is at lowest level, dead pedal is not even. Also not much wiggle room up as your foot (mine is size 12 EEEE) hits the park brake pedal- But like anything just takes getting used to. 2 weeks later and it feels awesome and very comfortable. I recommend it! I sure wish the factory thought of this

Moparzz
12-05-2002, 06:35 PM
I installed the dead pedal about 2 weeks ago. The quality of the product was excellent, the instructions that came with it were marginal. Get the pedal and use Piglet's instructions and you won't be disappointed.;)