PDA

View Full Version : Removal and Installation of rear badge

Pat
10-06-2006, 05:41 PM
With the renewed interest in the Colex, Inc rear deck badge by Daniel Hall,
(a beautiful item it is) I reviewed the removal and installation procedures posted by several folks on this site.

I removed mine and installed the Colex badge today but found that previous instructions were not as complete as I would like.

So, hopefully, this is a more complete procedure.

REMOVAL:
1. Looking at the OEM badge you will notice two black dots on the outer
edges. Under the right dot is a plastic screw that you will saw through.
Under the left dot is a metal locator stud, You do not have to saw through that.

2. Take a length, 12-15 inches, of 20-30 test fishing line, tie it securely to wooden or plastic "pegs" for grip and begin sawing down the backside of the OEM badge until you reach the middle. Not too much pressure on the line or it will break. The rubber like material holding the OEM badge is easily cut.
Then shift to the right side and cut through the plastic screw and then the remainder of the rubber sealant on the bottom half and the badge will come loose and can be taken off.

3. You will now have a layer of black rubber sealant to remove. You can use a plastic spatula. After that then a clear glue will be observed and that can be removed by any solvent for the purpose. Be sure to clean it all off.
Use alcohol for final cleaning, do not wax.

INSTALLATION;

1. Note the center line of the new Colex badge (a cut in the paper backing).
this should be 3.5 inches across.

2. With a straight edge ruler positioned horizontally across the center of the two holes left by the OEM badge, mark (a dot) 1/4 inch to the outside of each hole with a non-permanent marker pen (fine). Now mark the outer edge of the new Colex badge with the marker along the cut in the paper backing. Do not remove the backing at this time. Now position the new badge with the marks on the badge lined up with the marks on the trunk and give a visual check for straightness and centering.

3. If all is lined up, then remove the paper backing and press the new badge onto the car careful to have the holes lined up first, since the badge does not slide.

Presto Chango, you now have a properly identified Marauder in your possession. :baaa:

Rollin'Thunder
10-06-2006, 06:40 PM
My OEM badge didn't have a screw. Just 2 locator posts on the back. It was an easy install once I got the black adhesive off. I just rolled it up into a ball with my fingers and pulled it off, then cleaned it with acitone and finished with alcohol like you said. Looks Great! Daniel is a genious! :bows: :D

Black 04
10-07-2006, 05:25 AM
I didn't have any screws...I used a hairdryer to loosen the glue, with a very small screw driver popped the emblem off . After rolling the glue off with my finger, I cleaned the area (the OEM emblem had no glue on it) placed the OEM emblem back in the holes, marked the outside with tape popped off the old and placed Daniel (Colex) new emblem on. Looks Fantastic!!!!!

whoskal
10-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I agree...There is no screw in the back badge, I replaced mine several months ago just heat it up with a hair dryer and take it off.....acetone will very easily take the sticky's off

Pat
10-08-2006, 08:52 AM
See, I knew I could make a mountain out of a mole hill.Not too shabby for an ex-bureaucrat, and I still got the badge on a little crooked to boot.