PDA

View Full Version : Mercury aims for stylish niche

dwasson
10-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Mercury aims for stylish niche

From: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061006/AUTO01/610060343/1148

http://vh10924.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20061006&Category=AUTO01&ArtNo=610060343&Ref=H3&Profile=1148Q=100&MaxW=250

The brand Edsel Ford founded takes a new direction with reinvented Mariner and Mariner Hybrid vehicles.

MIAMI -- Ford Motor Co. will pull the curtain back on the future of Mercury today with the unveiling of the all-new-for 2008 Mariner and Mariner Hybrid at the South Florida International Auto Show.

Challenged to refocus the brand as part of its North American restructuring effort, Ford is reinventing Mercury as a niche marque designed to appeal to more women, minorities and shoppers who typically don't consider Ford products. Mercury will have fewer models than in the past, but they will be lavished with more design attention inside and out.

"We've targeted a new audience with Mercury," said Kim Irwin, brand manager for Mercury. "The new Mariner is the first vehicle that really hits the new direction dead-on."

Ford is steering Mercury away from its traditional role as a mid-market brand designed to bridge the gap between economical Fords and luxurious Lincolns. That strategy made sense when Edsel Ford launched the brand in 1935, but Mercury lost its focus in recent decades as foreign imports crowded into the middle of the market.

Ford now wants Mercury to do for automobiles what companies like Target and Ikea have done for home furnishings and furniture: put stylish design within the reach of middle-class sophisticates. Its target market is sophisticated Gen-Xers who are technologically savvy and have a sense of style.

"We did ethnographic research," Irwin said. "We went into these peoples' homes to see what they buy and how they live."

more at link

Hotrauder
10-09-2006, 06:46 AM
best inspector callahan voice, "that's a hell of a price to pay for being stylish." Dennis. :lol: No clue, no direction and not one good idea since the Marauder, a great concept nickled and dimed and ignored to death. IMO

Joe Walsh
10-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Mercury aims for stylish niche

From: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061006/AUTO01/610060343/1148

http://vh10924.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20061006&Category=AUTO01&ArtNo=610060343&Ref=H3&Profile=1148Q=100&MaxW=250

Its target market is sophisticated Gen-Xers who are technologically savvy and have a sense of style.

Then what, exactly is Mercury going to sell them???

You couldn't pry this target market out of their Hondas, Toyotas, Lexus' & BMWs, let alone get them to sit in a Mercury....Good Luck!

The only shot they had at a younger buyer was with vehicles like the Cougar.

This battle was lost a long time ago, and Lincoln-Mercury is losing more and more of it's traditional buyers every year. (They/we are getting old and dying)

"We did ethnographic research," Irwin said. "We went into these peoples' homes to see what they buy and how they live."

more at link

I guess that 'ethnographic research' means:

We are a bunch of highly degreed marketing shirts who know NOTHING about cars!

We get paid lots of money to TRY to figure out why we are selling LESS than half the cars we did 6 years ago!

Meteorite
10-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Can you imagine Mercury (or anyone these days) having the guts to run an ad with this tag line?

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/000qw5d5.jpg

MarauderMark
10-09-2006, 07:11 AM
:laugh:

I guess that 'ethnographic research' means:

We are a bunch of highly degreed marketing shirts who know NOTHING about cars!

We get paid lots of money to TRY to figure out why we are selling LESS than half the cars we did 6 years ago!
Sounds like family on the payroll.:D

Joe Walsh
10-09-2006, 07:56 AM
You know if you rotate the Mercury logo 90 degrees to the right...it closely resembles their sales chart.

Marauder2005
10-09-2006, 08:51 AM
best inspector callahan voice, "that's a hell of a price to pay for being stylish."

:lol::lol: Don't forget to grit your teeth when you say that.

Leadfoot281
10-09-2006, 11:00 AM
You guys remember this one;

"It's not your fathers Oldsmobile".

If Oldsmobile had a tombstone some place, that ad slogan would be carved on it. GM did an amazing job alienating their buyers with that one. People who bought Oldsmobiles actually wanted their fathers Oldsmobiles.

The new plan for Mercury sounds like another case of "New Coke". Unfortunately by the time anyone realises that the old stuff is what we all want, it'll be too late for "Mercury Classic".

Word to the wise, never under estimate loyalty.

Also, why couldn't Mercury stop by my place for their ethno-graphical-research-bs and base their research on me? There'd be a new Cougar with FE power, glass packs, and raw hyde interior.

Mercurys "'mid range" place between Ford and Lincoln is needed. Despite what happened to Plymouth. For it to work though, Lincoln will need to go really high-end. Low end Chryslers and high end Dodges squashed Plymouth. Ditto for Mercury. The end is near...:(

ctrlraven
10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Ford and Chevy
Lincoln and Buick/Caddy
Mercury and Pontic is what it should be instead of Mercury aiming at Buick like they always have been but I guess it didn't help them that FMC thought of them as a stepping stone to Lincoln lux without the "Ford" name all over the vehicle.

Bluerauder
10-09-2006, 05:33 PM
:laugh: Speak for yourself, Joe. :laugh: I ain't packing it in yet.

(They/we are getting old and dying)

Mercury needs to figure out what it did right in 1999 and do it again.

Meteorite
10-10-2006, 07:52 AM
If they would just bring back the mighty Topaz ... we wouldn't need to be having this discussion. :lol:

Meteorite
10-11-2006, 03:31 AM
Seriously, though ... Here is the niche that Mercury should go after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeEErqkLb2w

jerrym3
10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
You have to feel a bit sorry for the Mercury brand.

You had Ford vs Chev vs Plymouth

Lincoln vs Caddy vs Chrysler

And then you had:

Mercury vs Pontiac/Oldsmobile/Buick vs Dodge/DeSoto

Sure, Ford tried to move Mercury upstream with the announcement of the Edsel, but we all know where that went.

Mercury's always been my favorite brand from the first time I rode in the back of a 1950 convertible in the early 50's.

I hope they make it.