PDA

View Full Version : Hemi with a badge

MM03MOK
10-14-2006, 10:43 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/10/10/1160495077_4745.jpg
Hemi with a badge

Dodge chases Ford's dominance of police market with special edition Charger

By Royal Ford | October 8, 2006
NOTTINGHAM, N.H. -- It wasn't the response you'd expect from a cop emerging from behind the wheel of the hottest new police car in the United States.

Phil English, who serves the 4,500 residents of this New Hampshire town, had just driven a Dodge Charger Hemi with 340 horses to flail in the pursuit of justice over Nottingham's 85.5 miles of roads. The car, he said, is actually more than a small town with no high-speed roadways can reasonably use.
"If you're reacting to a call and you're doing more than 60 in this town, you are taking a risk," English said.

But this new cruiser is finding a home in police departments all across the country -- state, county, and local departments in all 48 contiguous states have ordered Chargers.

It comes in Hemi form with the 340 horsepower V-8, and also as a six-cylinder model, with 250 horsepower -- a limit welcomed by some community officials who hope to avoid potentially lethal high-speed chases.

New Hampshire is readying 45 Chargers for its State Police force (some may be unmarked). State Police in Massachusetts have five "semi-unmarked" Hemis, meaning they get the black and blue colors of other cruisers but have no telltale roof lights.

On a smaller level, Chargers, mostly Hemis, have been added to the fleets of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst Police Department, and local fleets in East Brookfield, Hull, Ludlow, Mattapoisett, North Andover, Peabody, Wayland, Woburn, and Yarmouth.

The Ford Crown Victoria has long been the emblem of police pursuit, but you could say that today there's a new sheriff in town.

We had the police test car for several days, starting with high speed runs on Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pa. Out there, it cranked to easily well beyond 100 miles per hour on the back stretch. And because it was a closed circuit, it was OK to flash the lights.

While driving from Pennsylvania to New Hampshire, the classic black-and-white colors said ``cop car." So did the bold red ``POLICE" lettering on the doors, the ``Dodge City Police" insignia on the sides, and, of course, the stack of lights on the roof (which we weren't allowed to use on public roads).

Traffic parted before me as I rumbled down the highway at just over the speed limit. That was not surprising. But I was startled by the effect I had on other drivers -- No one passed me and cars backed up three and four lanes wide for miles behind. Now I know why the police cruisers you see on the highways tend to speed even when they apparently are not responding to an emergency: Their speeding is less dangerous than the huge lines of cars they create by going slower.

It also said something about our driving habits when doing the speed limit causes a traffic jam. But that's another topic.
Back to the cruiser in question.

In either Hemi or six-cylinder form, it is menacing, sort of a Mad Max apparition, particularly with the black front and black push rack ahead of the grille.

Inside, firm cloth seats are comfortable up front. In the rear, a vinyl floor coating is noted.

You don't need to ask what that's for, said English, who then recited a list of bodily functions and malfunctions that can take place in the back of a cruiser. An easy-to-clean surface is essential.

The base car costs $22,320 and that includes the V-6 that puts out the same 250 horsepower as the Crown Vic's V-8. The $3,580 police package adds a mini floor console, a 160-mile-per hour speedometer, 18-inch steel wheels, performance suspension and performance steering, small hubcaps, an engine-hour meter, all-speed traction control, and an equipment mounting bracket. The Hemi engine adds $2,230 to the price. Toss in an adjustable, eight-way power driver's seat, a red-and-white inside dome lamp (red to see inside without cutting outside vision), a full-size spare tire for the trunk, and chrome spotlights on the left and right windshield posts, and you are near $30,000 -- a couple of thousand more than a similar Crown Vic, but way more powerful and way more menacing.

English found the inside a bit more cramped than the Crown Vic and said a department switching over would likely have to redesign its setup of gun racks and electronics.

He also said it would have ``lots more positive capabilities out on the highway."

Sure, it will look good rolling on a small local road, but it will look even better on the highway, even if you are the one being stopped. It could even be considered an honor to be pulled over by one of these hot rods from the Dodge City Police -- if only to get a close-up view of the charging beast. It's that cool.

Royal Ford can be reached at ford@globe.com (ford@globe.com). http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

http://www.boston.com/cars/news/articles/2006/10/08/hemi_with_a_badge?mode=PF (http://www.boston.com/cars/news/articles/2006/10/08/hemi_with_a_badge?mode=PF)

Peter
10-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Aw man, First Dodge then Toyota :alone:

Hotrauder
10-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Interesting take by Mr. Ford on the fact that he backed up traffic driving the speed limit. He seems to infer that we are a nation of speeders. A notion certainly backed by law enforcement and their political leaders. Historically speed limites were set by highway design engineers to the 80% percentile speed of highway users. When speed control became a means to conserve energy and or raise local and state revenues the input from highway users became strictly financial:mad2: Resulting in increased non compliance and resentment of the officers charged with enforcing unrealistic limits. In my opinion law enforcement should throw away their radar/lidar guns, get on the road and enforce safety measures such as keep right except to pass, etc. That would indeed make our highways safer. :soap: Dennis...sorry but this is a pet peeve and I am suffering a moment of weakness. Officers tend to speed to keep out of our way????Did he actually say that???This guy still smokes, right?? I mean weed, either that or the acid he took threw him into an other dimension

DEFYANT
10-15-2006, 06:00 AM
Interesting take by Mr. Ford on the fact that he backed up traffic driving the speed limit. He seems to infer that we are a nation of speeders. A notion certainly backed by law enforcement and their political leaders. Historically speed limites were set by highway design engineers to the 80% percentile speed of highway users. When speed control became a means to conserve energy and or raise local and state revenues the input from highway users became strictly financial:mad2: Resulting in increased non compliance and resentment of the officers charged with enforcing unrealistic limits. In my opinion law enforcement should throw away their radar/lidar guns, get on the road and enforce safety measures such as keep right except to pass, etc. That would indeed make our highways safer. :soap: Dennis...sorry but this is a pet peeve and I am suffering a moment of weakness. Officers tend to speed to keep out of our way????Did he actually say that???This guy still smokes, right?? I mean weed, either that or the acid he took threw him into an other dimension

We are a gov't of and by the people. If you do not like like a law, gather up enough like minded people and change the law. You can do it!!!

As for the Charger, it is a nice car. I wouldn't mind one. But not for police work. It IS crampt and visibility is limitied. Bad guys have a hard time getting in and out of the back of my CVPI. The Charger has the big rear door, but leg room is not much improved, and the low roof line does not help.

Arguably, most agencies with opt for the V6 due to cost and perception of 340 HP police cars.

I'll keep the CVPI thanks.

MarauderTJA
10-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Here in my City of Cape Coral, the PD bought 18 -5.7 Hemi police service Chargers as "unmarked cars." 4 are on the road now have serious strobes hidden everywhere, really dark tinted windows and they are nailing speeders everywhere here. Any time I see one, whether it is a civilian car or not it gets my attention. Having an impact on idiots driving fast here. I personally like the idea.

Bradley G
10-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Too bad Ford won't step up and keep what has been thiers for many years.

Charger, nice? absolutely,... Better than a Panther?
not on your life! :nono:

merc6
10-15-2006, 06:57 AM
I doubt ford will answer. Took a blower for a stock stang to beat a stock maro...

Peter
10-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Too bad Ford won't step up and keep what has been thiers for many years.

Charger, nice? absolutely,... Better than a Panther?
not on your life! :nono:
I :agree:, imagine little toyota becomming police vehicles, I hope that day never happens but if it does :run:

Joe Walsh
10-15-2006, 07:11 AM
I :agree:, imagine little toyota becomming police vehicles, I hope that day never happens but if it does :run:

Yah!...But TOYOTA could offer their "production" NASCAR pushrod V8 as an option....:shake: ...:down: ...:puke:

merc6
10-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Yah!...But TOYOTA could offer their "production" NASCAR pushrod V8 as an option....:shake: ...:down: ...:puke:
Honda also has 500 hp V8 Cars. We don't get to see them in the states.

VNMUS
10-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda also has 500 hp V8 Cars. We don't get to see them in the states.
Toyota has the same in Japan. They're actually larger than the P71.