PDA

View Full Version : Towing Advice?

gpfarrell
10-18-2006, 07:23 AM
This Sunday I'm driving from Pittsburgh to Columbus with a friend to fetch his 1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible (with A/C, Texas car, was his grandmother's!). The car runs & drives, but can't be trusted to make it the 175 miles on its own.

I'll be using my '97 F250 extended cab, longbed, 4wd... and a rented U-haul trailer. The truck is a 460/5-speed with 4.10s, so I'm not worried about power. The trailer has surge brakes, so I might even be able to stop it.

I've towed short distances, I'm fine with backing up, and I won't be anywhere near the weight capacity of the truck... but I've never towed a car or anything this far before... any advice?

Thanks!

RR|Suki
10-18-2006, 07:29 AM
This Sunday I'm driving from Pittsburgh to Columbus with a friend to fetch his 1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible (with A/C, Texas car, was his grandmother's!). The car runs & drives, but can't be trusted to make it the 175 miles on its own.

I'll be using my '97 F250 extended cab, longbed, 4wd... and a rented U-haul trailer. The truck is a 460/5-speed with 4.10s, so I'm not worried about power. The trailer has surge brakes, so I might even be able to stop it.

I've towed short distances, I'm fine with backing up, and I won't be anywhere near the weight capacity of the truck... but I've never towed a car or anything this far before... any advice?

Thanks!

I would compress the suspention as much as you can.

SID210SA
10-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Dont forget to charge for labor, pickup/dropoff and gas!!!:D

magindat
10-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Greg,
Strap the car down as much as possible to compress it's suspension. The car weight will 'float' and be a disconcerting load if you don't.

Drive the car on the trailer nose first and watch the truck's suspension. It will go up at first cuz of the lever action of the car's weight on the back of the trailer. (make sure your hitch is SECURE, a mistake I made ONCE)

Then drive forward on the trailer 'till the suspension on the truck compresses at least an inch, but probly no more than 2. (I'm used to a 1500 Chevy). That'll balance your load and provide enough tongue weight for the truck.

Strap her down and away you go!

Be safe!
Rich

After a couple miles (turns, bumps, etc) re-check your straps before you get on the highway.

Mikeenh
10-18-2006, 08:45 AM
If the tail starts to wag the dog, you don't have enough tongue weight. Pull the towed car forward more on the trailer.
With your truck you should hardly know there is anything behind you....REMEMBER that there is if you go through a toll booth.

ckadiddle
10-18-2006, 09:57 AM
No practical experience here, but I'd drive slow and easy.

gpfarrell
10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
No practical experience here, but I'd drive slow and easy.

But I don't have any experience driving slow & easy!

Seriously, thanks for all the helpful ideas... keep 'em coming!

SamF
10-18-2006, 05:38 PM
When you are backing her up...keep one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to move.

Move hand right, trailer goes right...careful now :D remember small adjustments in the cab equal big adjustments at the other end.

grampaws
10-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Sounds like your under control..I used and F150 2wd and did the
same thing No problems..Don't cut the corners expect fuel stops a little
sooner.check the hitch at every stop I have had u-haul hitchs-the
screwdown types that seem to work loose after extended drives..