PDA

View Full Version : Addcos are in and....

Big House
10-19-2006, 08:12 AM
WOW...that is simple all I said after the first romp. I will telll you though...the install was easy but time consuming. Did the fronts first. For those of you that don't know, the addco bars and the OEM bars are night and day. Getting he rear endlinks were a severe pain but after it all they went on easy and perform great. Don't sit on the fence if you are thinking about these.

RR|Suki
10-19-2006, 08:46 AM
WOW...that is simple all I said after the first romp. I will telll you though...the install was easy but time consuming. Did the fronts first. For those of you that don't know, the addco bars and the OEM bars are night and day. Getting he rear endlinks were a severe pain but after it all they went on easy and perform great. Don't sit on the fence if you are thinking about these.

I have mine, waiting till spring to put em in, any tips, or anything I should look out for?

KillJoy
10-19-2006, 09:09 AM
I have mine, waiting till spring to put em in, any tips, or anything I should look out for?

Marine Grade Grease ;)

KillJoy

Bill Lalk
10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Without doind a search(sorry), why would I need these? My 04' is stock. Is it just for handling?

Hotrauder
10-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Without doind a search(sorry), why would I need these? My 04' is stock. Is it just for handling?

Your "speedracer" makes me think you are kidding, right. You are right, they are only for handling. Wouldn't want to much of that. :confused: Dennis

Shora
10-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Did your new Addco's come in the usual Zink (gold) plate or the new black powder coated version?

From now on, Addco is making all of their sway bars in a powder coated black. It doesn't look even half as good but it is supposed to last longer.

Honestly, I do not know if this is whole powder coating thing will really make it last longer but they don't look as good unless you have the lastest control arms from Zack and Mac to match.

Dennis Reinhart
10-19-2006, 06:49 PM

I love that song by Randy Travis but I canot for the life of me can not think of the name:shake: :sleepy: :alone: :confused:

Now I remember:beer: :beer: :banana2: :banana2:

I told you so, I told you so

Big House
10-22-2006, 11:01 AM
The front bar was zinc coated and the rear was powdered coated. The both looked great.

Did your new Addco's come in the usual Zink (gold) plate or the new black powder coated version?

From now on, Addco is making all of their sway bars in a powder coated black. It doesn't look even half as good but it is supposed to last longer.

Honestly, I do not know if this is whole powder coating thing will really make it last longer but they don't look as good unless you have the lastest control arms from Zack and Mac to match.

1stMerc
11-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Just put my rear Addco on last weekend and well worth the hassle of getting those end links out. First thing i noticed, at 180#s couldn't rock the car from side to side as i could with the stock bar. Feels great in the corners, a lot more stable and confidence inspireing.
If you haven't done so, and you are a spirited driver you owe it to your self to at least get the rear bar

MarauderMark
11-05-2006, 04:38 AM
The front bar was zinc coated and the rear was powdered coated. The both looked great.

Powdered coated? Got pic?

Shora
11-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Powdered coated? Got pic?

Here you go.

At first I didn't like them because they are not as bling as the zink (gold) coated ones but they grew on me. The black powder coating makes them look stock. They are supposed to be more durable too (I don't know if I believe that).
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/1/3/133_3317_thumb.jpg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=5862&c=3&userid=3513)

Dennis Reinhart
11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
They are supposed to be more durable too (I don't know if I believe that).

I have one question, how do you wear out a solid steel bar, there not for looks, there there to improve the cars handling, and they do that very well.

Shora
11-06-2006, 07:21 PM
I have one question, how do you wear out a solid steel bar, there not for looks, there there to improve the cars handling, and they do that very well.

That is not what I meant by durable. I was told that they are more rust resistant Powder Coated than Zink coated and are thus more durable against the elements. This information is from John Wright (technical director at Addco.)

Dennis Reinhart
11-06-2006, 07:52 PM
That is not what I meant by durable. I was told that they are more rust resistant Powder Coated than Zink coated and are thus more durable against the elements. This information is from John Wright (technical director at Addco.)

I have never seen the bars powdercoated, that would make bars price go up a bunch, and there are many members here that have had the bars on there cars for over two years, I have never heard of a issue so far:beer:

Shora
11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
They are supposed to be more durable too (I don't know if I believe that).

I have never seen the bars powdercoated, that would make bars price go up a bunch, and there are many members here that have had the bars on there cars for over two years, I have never heard of a issue so far:beer:
Never heard of an issue either that is why I wrote "I don't know if I believe that" in my original post.

Edit, if you haven't seen them yet (black powder coated) you will soon since the zink coated ones are being discontinued. They are selling off all of their old stock and will only produce powder coated versions from here on out.

Joe Walsh
11-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I've got a set of the zinc/golden colored ADDCO bars waiting to go on this winter.
If I have any corrosion problems, or they start to look nasty...THEN I'll get them powdercoated.

P.S. I've had lots of car parts powdercoated, including my front timing chain cover, upper intake manifold, lower block-water neck and the alternator and the stuff wears like iron.
It is some really tough paint!!

Bradley G
11-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I only have the rear bar, Lower control arm and watts link OEM Boxed.Upper control arms Limo style.
The car feels like it's on rails, compared to stock.

Bigdogjim
11-06-2006, 09:50 PM
If your doing sway bars then finish the job and do rear control arms also.

The improvement is night and day. The car is glued to the road:):):)

Big House
11-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Well let me ask you this since I am still getting used to the riding on rails thing...if I am getting tire squeal everytime I take a turn, am I cornering to hard? Mind you I am taking some of these corners a nearly twice the posted limited. The fastest I have ever taken a clover leaf was 60 mph in my Thunderbird. I am sure I could do it faster in the Marauder though.

GreekGod
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Zinc coating gets eaten up from salting the winter roads in the rust belt.