PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Mustang GT Blinkers

ckadiddle
10-19-2006, 08:37 AM
OK, think stock 2000 Mustang GT convertible (the wifemobile). Right hand turn signals work fine. Signalling a left hand turn you get a fast blinkie noise and rear turn signal does not function. Bad bulb or bad little blinkie module under the dash somewhere (like in the good old days)?

TAF
10-19-2006, 08:39 AM
My guess is bulb...it usually indicates bad bulb with fast "clicks"....

jgc61sr2002
10-19-2006, 08:41 AM
What Todd said. ^^^^^^^

RR|Suki
My guess is bulb...it usually indicates bad bulb with fast "clicks"....

I agree890

KillJoy
+1 Bulb

KillJoy

RoyLPita
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Turn on the 4 way hazards and take a look around. My guess it is one of the rears. Kepp us posted.

ckadiddle
10-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Turn on the 4 way hazards and take a look around. My guess it is one of the rears. Kepp us posted.

OOohhh I never woulda thought of that..... yes, the wife can see the reflection of the front left blinker in the car in front of her. I saw three bulbs in the left rear assembly.... was wondering how to find which of the three was bad. Too lazy to replace all three..... :o Thanks, Brian! We'll try that.

magindat
10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Ju gott 1 filament out on one stinking bulb mang.

Just tell 'em the fast blink is "custom", then you won't have to do nothing!!!

RoyLPita
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
OOohhh I never woulda thought of that..... yes, the wife can see the reflection of the front left blinker in the car in front of her. I saw three bulbs in the left rear assembly.... was wondering how to find which of the three was bad. Too lazy to replace all three..... :o Thanks, Brian! We'll try that.

Only the outer and center bulbs are brake lights. The innermost one is a parking/taillight. When you pull the bulbs out, flick them. the burned out filament should move like a spring.

If the bulbs are good, then the multifunction switch could be the culprit.

Loco1234
10-19-2006, 11:30 AM
The fast pace blinking is becasue the turn signal circuit is capcitor and resistor circuit.

the way it works is:
When a voltage is applied to the capacitor it charges till full then discharges allowing the turn signal lights to blink.

the speed at which they blilnk is controlled by how much resistance there i in the line. therefore when a bulb is burn out you have a different resistance hence the speed of the remainng bulb changes since the capacitor charges and discharges at an increased rate....

a cheap way to customize or change blinking rates is to add a small resistor in series with both turn signal lights....

a reostat is a variable resitor and will allow you to change the blinking rate by a simple turn of a dial etc...

ckadiddle
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM
The fast pace blinking is becasue the turn signal circuit is capcitor and resistor circuit.

the way it works is:
When a voltage is applied to the capacitor it charges till full then discharges allowing the turn signal lights to blink.

the speed at which they blilnk is controlled by how much resistance there i in the line. therefore when a bulb is burn out you have a different resistance hence the speed of the remainng bulb changes since the capacitor charges and discharges at an increased rate....

a cheap way to customize or change blinking rates is to add a small resistor in series with both turn signal lights....

a reostat is a variable resitor and will allow you to change the blinking rate by a simple turn of a dial etc...
Neato.....Youse guys are always so informative. So if I was of a mind to, I could drive the wife completely insane by fiddling with her blinking rates. :D

RoyLPita
10-19-2006, 12:12 PM
If that is the case, just treat her to "sequentials".

magindat
10-19-2006, 12:26 PM

the way it works is:

See, told you it was "custom"!!!!!!

Loco1234
10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
See, told you it was "custom"!!!!!!

I thought you'd like the additional comments I added about how you can custimize your blinkin rates.... I added that at end just for you... LOL

I finished a 4yr electrical engineering degree & a 2yr telecomunications degree @ Penn State about a year ago... and Im now preparing to take my EIT exam (Engineer In Training Exam)

It's really though...

magindat
10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
I thought you'd like the additional comments I added about how you can custimize your blinkin rates.... I added that at end just for you... LOL

I finished a 4yr electrical engineering degree & a 2yr telecomunications degree @ Penn State about a year ago... and Im now preparing to take my EIT exam (Engineer In Training Exam)

It's really though...

Oh yeah. Magindat strikes again.

I've had to add resistors to control blink rate when swapping to LED bulbs. Different resistor values give different blink rates. Never did the variable thing. If I was gonna spend that much effort, I'd do sequentials!!!!

OK, OK, thread derailed. CK, call one of us if you need help, bro.

RoyLPita
10-24-2006, 07:14 AM
:bump: Any updates?

ckadiddle
10-24-2006, 07:16 AM
:bump: Any updates?
Nope, I keep forgetting to visit the auto parts store toget some bulbs. I noticed the other day I have a back up light bulb out on the MM also. Sometime soon I will declare Nationa Change A Bulb Day .

ckadiddle
10-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Finally remembered to pick up bulbs at wallymart last night. Old age sucks. Bought the wife seatcovers etc for her stang that say "Urban Princess" and have a graphic of a skull and crossbones with a pink bow on it's head. It's so her. They had all the pieces she wanted except the floormats. Also bought some Turtle Wax Ice to try out prior to MVIV.

ckadiddle
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Got Mustang left turn signal bulbs replaced. Annoying procedure. Found sheetmetal behind the taillight assy. Utter the very special cusswords reserved for Ford engineering and design staff. First had to figure out how to undo trunk liner - stiff as a board! Needed to unscrew some black plastic doohickeys to free the liner. Than had to figure out I needed to undo four or five locknuts with socket wrench, remove assy THEN easy to twist and remove bulbs. Say the special cusswords reserved for lower back pain. Swapped both bulbs, tested. Cleaned up the crud that had built up behind the taillight assy over the years. Reinstalled assy, tested again. Still works. :)

Time elapsed, about an hour.

Replaced Marauder back up light. Open trunk, twist out bulb assy, swap bulb, twist bulb assy back in. Close trunk. Skip testing cause I ain't going to try to stand behind the car while I have it in reserse. :)

Time elapsed, about 30 seconds.

This lovely experience reminds me why I don't do mechanical work on my cars.