PDA

View Full Version : EEC 5 Computer Replacement

V10_P70
05-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Read the article "Total Control" in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Ford July/2003 about replacing your computer. This allows the same connections as factory, but with far greater tuning capability than the factory. You can add features to control things that the factory computer does not. Also, you can change things on the fly and not have to get a chip made each time you change something.

Just a thought.

jefferson-mo
05-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Hey Scott is that computer yours or someone else's?

I don't have a copy of the mag yet......................

V10_P70
05-28-2003, 10:51 AM
The company is AEM (www.aempower.com) .

Blue Marauder
05-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Oh, great. It's Widows based. I'm sure it will be very reliable. :rolleyes:

engine23ccvfd
05-28-2003, 11:41 AM
what do you want Linux....

Logan
05-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Yes!! :)

gja
05-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Linux!!!??
What are you, one of them-thar long-haired hippy freaks?

RCSignals
05-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Winders? Oh Oh

the fat bastid
05-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by V10_P70
You can add features to control things that the factory computer does not.

you mean like...t/c to a 300a??!?! bwhahah! my evil plans arise once again! KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

edit: linux owns j00

LincMercLover
05-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey, as long as it's not Mac... Never could get all those "apple-blah..." commands. POS.

Anyway, umm... I'm not seeing anything related to our cars here. Ford Mustang is the only car listed... not even a Vic. SO... why bring it up, that is unless you have talked with the company and there's something in the works? OTHERWISE... http://66.113.138.44/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif

V10_P70
05-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Can you not see what can be done with this computer system, it allows you to tune your vehicle on the fly. Have talked to these people about the computer and they offter it from the Mustang to the F250's. Look at the function of what can be done!

RCSignals
05-28-2003, 11:42 PM
It is interesting. I can see people getting into trouble with it too

the fat bastid
06-01-2003, 12:30 PM
any one read slashdot? they had an article on something called megasquirt. some fi controlling home build doohicky with an open source ecc. it looks interseting but i cant really make heads or tails of it since i'm not that well informed with engines and why this would make a difference.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

also there are some side projects too.

SergntMac
06-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks Fat, and now I can see what RC means when he says "trouble." Not only could you mis-tune your car to the point of immobility, you could blow it up.

Let me ask y'all something here. What makes a "craftsman" in any trade? How does one become a Master at say, woodworking, or, cabinet making? Buy the tools and let them teach you how to use them? Or, build the woodworking skill first and know enough to buy the right tool for the task?

This is the difference here, and what I think RC means too. Putting this tool in the hands of the unskilled will come to cost a lot of money in test cars. Learning how to tune these highly sofisticated computer controlled cars, is the skill that should be learned first, and then the right tool will be useful...IMHO.

tetsu
06-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Not that hard. You wouldn't just randomly plug in numbers. You'd look at feedback from the motor and exhaust and tune.

You'd have the huge advantage of being able to adjust for current climate/motor conditions. I assume that you could save configurations and pop them in when desired.

Johnny

UncleLar
06-01-2003, 08:37 PM
For my money I'd stick with a Dennis chip,I still can't e-mail pics or post them or even scan anything to e-mail it with this thing.l may be a little crazy but I'm smart enough to know there's no way I'd try to reprogram all the parameters on a $30,000 vehicle.I can't see any advantages to it over a Dennis flip chip and a dyno tune that we know won't ruin a fine piece of machinery unless you were doing some really hardcore racing and had to compensate for changing track conditions,etc.I'm just a "hollow state" man.If it's got a carb and a distributor I know I can wrench on it and make it run.For fuel injection and computer stuff I prefer to have real pros like Dennis make the suggestions for my intended use and sell me the parts I'd need for that application. Jeez,I gotta watch it,I'm really getting long winded.