PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Lift

Mike Poore
10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
OK, it came up in the hijacked Buttermilk thread; which is OK, because buttermilk threads are supposed to get hijacked. Anyway, it seems all of us want/need a lift, and both Charlie(Defyant) and I have permission to get one for Christmas. I saw Gordon & Chris today [they have (another) secret] for lunch, and they're getting one, perhaps two for their new garage. Then there's Rich Long (he started this) and Jason (he needs one most of all), and Marty. That's a lot of folks who spoke up about wanting/getting lifts in just a few days. I bet there's a bunch more on people's lists, and with a group this size we should reach a consensus about:

which one to get
pro & con about design and safety
what they cost
and a thousand other thingsI'll do a little work and see if we can get a vendor to sign on, or better yet, a vendor already with us that would be interested in selling a bunch of lifts.

Rich already mentioned Rotary Lift, and I'm thinking he means the brand, not generic term, so we need to get cracking if we're gonna get 'em here for Christmas.

What say, guys? :woohoo:

Agent M79
10-27-2006, 01:21 PM
A lift group buy?

Wow. I'll actually have a garage in June of '07. I can't think of a cooler accessory.

martyo
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
OK, it came up in the hijacked Buttermilk thread; which is OK, because buttermilk threads are supposed to get hijacked. Anyway, it seems all of us want/need a lift, and both Charlie(Defyant) and I have permission to get one for Christmas. I saw Gordon & Chris today [they have (another) secret] for lunch, and they're getting one, perhaps two for their new garage. Then there's Rich Long (he started this) and Jason (he needs one most of all), and Marty. That's a lot of folks who spoke up about wanting/getting lifts in just a few days. I bet there's a bunch more on people's lists, and with a group this size we should reach a consensus about:

which one to get
pro & con about design and safety
what they cost
and a thousand other thingsI'll do a little work and see if we can get a vendor to sign on, or better yet, a vendor already with us that would be interested in selling a bunch of lifts.

Rich already mentioned Rotary Lift, and I'm thinking he means the brand, not generic term, so we need to get cracking if we're gonna get 'em here for Christmas.

What say, guys? :woohoo:

Mike: My friend is a dealer and I would be happy to see if you can use him to get a dealio.

Also, consider other brands because while I am a huge fan of Rotary they are high $$$. I have a Rotary scissor lift and I love it, but for the light duty it faces, another brand might have filled the bill.

Let me know if I can help.

Breadfan
10-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Hmmm this is very intersting. We too are in the market but not until next season probably. No where to put it at the moment but plans to change that are underway.

I need to learn about them so this will be extremely helpful to me as well. :)

fastblackmerc
10-27-2006, 04:04 PM
I've gotten the OK to get a lift about 6 months ago. Have to clean out the garage, move the loft and redo the garage door so it opens higher. I'd be in on a group buy for a reasonably priced lift. Looking for a 2-post lift.

MI2QWK4U
10-27-2006, 05:05 PM
I just went thru this 4 months ago. It was accomplished very economically. It isnt a rotory lift, but a friend set me straight on why they were not worth the money spent. Depends a lot on whether or not the lift will be used for storage and a weekend wrench or heavy every day use in a commercial setting. If you want info on Non rotory Lifts, I did a lot of research and spent HALF of what I was told it would cost. I also did the garage door mod and offset opener for maximum clearance.

jimlam56
10-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I just went thru this 4 months ago. It was accomplished very economically. It isnt a rotory lift, but a friend set me straight on why they were not worth the money spent. Depends a lot on whether or not the lift will be used for storage and a weekend wrench or heavy every day use in a commercial setting. If you want info on Non rotory Lifts, I did a lot of research and spent HALF of what I was told it would cost. I also did the garage door mod and offset opener for maximum clearance.

I'd like to know more, as I am planning on a garage next year. 30x30.

fastblackmerc
10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
PM me with the model number of your lift, I will give you a quote at my employee cost.

Glenn

Rider90
10-27-2006, 07:56 PM
http://midwestpanthers.net/filedir/chev1.jpg

Looking through the windshield you will see two lifts, both Mohawk. They are what we have been using for years. At one point these lifts got as much action as a real repair shop, probably up and down with cars eight times a day. No problems, no issues, and they have a feature that locks the lift in place so the pressure can be relieved from the hydraulics removing a heck of a lot of risk and worry. I have nothing but good things to say about this brand, we've had these lifts for probably 7 or 8 years and have never been let down. 100*F or 10*F these babies work and keep on going.

Mike Poore
10-28-2006, 04:08 AM

Here's a large database we can tap into ....someone who's already done the homework. Thanks Dave, please share.

I'm hoping one of the vendors sells lifts and will step up to let us know what's available. Also, to that end, I dropped a line to Wes, hoping he's in a loop, somewhere. Thing is, we can't step on any of our vendor's toes, if there's one who offerers a lift that's acceptable.

Jason's Mohawk lifts are obviously well made, reliable, and safe. I'm guessing Dave found data on those during his search.

Thanks Glenn, can you tell us what is available from your sources? And, also, Marty's got a line on 'em.

Obviously the things are dropped shipped from whatever source, so where they come from makes little difference, I'd think.

Here's another angle: Gordon told me, yesterday that NAPA sells lifts, and will bring it, and set it up all in the same deal.

ME? I need a 4 poster, hobbyist unit, and consider the idea that I can park a car under it a plus.

There was a vendor at Carlisle, last year with Back Yard Buddy or some such. It had lots of neat options and seemed reasonably priced. Did you look at those, Dave?

DefyantExWife
10-28-2006, 05:01 AM
OK, it came up in the hijacked Buttermilk thread; which is OK, because buttermilk threads are supposed to get hijacked. Anyway, it seems all of us want/need a lift, and both Charlie(Defyant) and I have permission to get one for Christmas. I saw Gordon & Chris today [they have (another) secret] for lunch, and they're getting one, perhaps two for their new garage. Then there's Rich Long (he started this) and Jason (he needs one most of all), and......

ahhh tut tut tut tut whoa there Nelly. :mad: Mike, I take it you wouldnt know sarcasm if it bittcha in the arse, eh ? :shake: *sigh*

Mike Poore
10-28-2006, 06:59 AM
ahhh tut tut tut tut whoa there Nelly. :mad: Mike, I take it you wouldnt know sarcasm if it bittcha in the arse, eh ? :shake: *sigh*

OH, NO, SISTER!! It's in the rule book.

You told Charlie, whether it's in the throws of ...well you know, or in a public forum, that he could have a Rotary Lift for the garage. You said it in front of all of us, and in the guy's rule book, that's a binding forever contract. This is not like all that crap you woman pull, when you claim: "well he didn't have a heart attack when I said I wanted the new kitchen, with the solid cherry cabinets, so it's OK".

NO! this was an all out, full proclamation, without provisions, and you can't back out.

Charlie gets his lift!

It's set in stone, right guys?

(besides, what with all poor Charlie has to put up with, he should get one, by default, just on general principals)

jimlam56
10-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Maybe a group buy?

Mike Poore
10-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Maybe a group buy?

Hey, that's what I'm thinking. If someone can sell a dozen or so lifts, and not have to do anything but handle the paperwork, and collect payment, why not broker a deal. I mean, it's not like anyone's gonna have to stock or ship anything. ;)

DefyantExWife
10-28-2006, 07:58 AM
no .

DEFYANT
10-28-2006, 08:35 AM
OH, NO, SISTER!! It's in the rule book.

You told Charlie, whether it's in the throws of ...well you know, or in a public forum, that he could have a Rotary Lift for the garage. You said it in front of all of us, and in the guy's rule book, that's a binding forever contract. This is not like all that crap you woman pull, when you claim: "well he didn't have a heart attack when I said I wanted the new kitchen, with the solid cherry cabinets, so it's OK".

NO! this was an all out, full proclamation, without provisions, and you can't back out.

Charlie gets his lift!

It's set in stone, right guys?

(besides, what with all poor Charlie has to put up with, he should get one, by default, just on general principals)

Yup, in stone. The thread was locked and here is the quote:

sonuva..... so do I !!!! and i dont even know wtf a rotary lift IS :rolleyes: :D

but imma get me one.

:banana2:

Now that that is cleared up, I like the four post lift also - with caster wheels. A drive up is nice, but may take up a lot of space.

I posted this idea over on the Garage Journal: www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66272#post662 72<!-- / message -->

DefyantExWife
10-28-2006, 08:49 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/snexus/oreally.gif

Hotrauder
10-28-2006, 09:24 AM

If there is a God, Charlie has 2 of them, already. He just has to look in the garage. Shheez talk about climbing the mountain every dog gone day. Dennis:P :P :P :P :P

txmarauder
10-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Count me in for a Rotary

Mike Poore
10-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Count me in for a Rotary

I wonder if we could get them to sign up as vendors?

I'll check on that.

txmarauder
10-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I wonder if we could get them to sign up as vendors?

I'll check on that.

Dont think Rotary could sell to us directly or the public in general. But how about this, there is probably a Northern tool by everyone or close enough that maybe we could get them to be a vendor. They also carry different brands of lifts and different styles along with some other tools that everyone could use. Since i want a lift i will need a pedistal trans jack and table jack as well. There prices on the Rotary lifts are pretty much the cheapest and you wont have to pay shipping either, they also offer installation services. Maybe we could get them to offer us a 10% discount on any purchase to us members. Something to think about.

nomad
10-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Dont think Rotary could sell to us directly or the public in general. But how about this, there is probably a Northern tool by everyone or close enough that maybe we could get them to be a vendor. They also carry different brands of lifts and different styles along with some other tools that everyone could use. Since i want a lift i will need a pedistal trans jack and table jack as well. There prices on the Rotary lifts are pretty much the cheapest and you wont have to pay shipping either, they also offer installation services. Maybe we could get them to offer us a 10% discount on any purchase to us members. Something to think about.

Link to Northern Tool, free shipping
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?in_merch=1&storeId=6970&productId=776611&R=776611

txmarauder
10-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Link to Northern Tool, free shipping
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?in_merch=1&storeId=6970&productId=776611&R=776611

Damn, you beat me to it,
Here is the link to all the lifts
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?No=0&storeId=6970&N=89+297068&Ne=2

I think if you open a credit card you get 10% off.

DefyantExWife
10-28-2006, 06:04 PM
THREE THOUSAND BUCKS ?

get bent... all a ya... :rolleyes:

use a jack, $14.99

fastblackmerc
10-28-2006, 07:25 PM
THREE THOUSAND BUCKS ?

get bent... all a ya... :rolleyes:

use a jack, $14.99
I live close by the route your taking to Charlotte (either I95 or I85).... can you stop by and pull my trans to install the rear cooling mod and PI torque convertor? You can use my jack and jack stands.... :D

fastblackmerc
10-28-2006, 07:39 PM
If your looking for a 2 post lift be aware that they are heavy and your resposible to get them off the truck and into your garage. You'll need either lots of friends of a fork lift. I found this lift:

https://www.americasprideonline.com/universal-lift.shtml

It's a 2 post lift, with the posts in 2 pieces each. It's packed in a 101" x 46" x 24" crate.

MI2QWK4U
10-28-2006, 08:04 PM
I will post up some pictures of my setup. I didnt pay a fraction of that $3k price tag. Here are some specs from the Lift I chose. It is a Dannmar D-7 4 post lift, rated at 7,000#. I will dig up the magazine that had the best offer of any lift like it. Free shipping, free accessories (caster wheel kit for moving lift, Drip trays, steel jack platform) worth $600, and no tax when ordered via phone. They offered it for $1895. I found a local dealer that wanted $2800 for it PLUS $300 to install it! I found a local company that installed the one I ordered for $250. You can order it in 110 or 220 volt. It has notches every couple of inches so you can release the pressure and have the lift supported by the notches instead of bearing on the hydrolic system. I will call my salesman monday and see what they might do for multiple purchases. I will be ordering another one of these in the spring for my latest car aquisition. Is anyone interested in a lift like this?

http://www.gesforless.com/ges4less/approved_files/D-7_large.jpg

Product Description:
The space saving design of this lift is ideal for adding more parking. It makes a perfect addition to custom homes. No special foundation is required and installation is simple. Optional casters enable you to roll the lift outside or wherever best suits your needs. The space saving lift fits in a typical parking space and has an overall height of less than seven feet to truly maximize valuable floor space. You can also use the D-7 lift for detailing , storage of ATV’s, snowmobiles, jet skis, golf carts, boats or anything else that needs to be up off the ground. Utilize the space you now waste above your car even with a standard 8-foot ceiling.

Features:
Simple operator controls for easy operation.
10 spring loaded safety locks on each column.
Self-lubricating UHMW polyethylene internal slide blocks.
Single safety lock release handle.
Single hydraulic cylinder underneath runway.
Reliable electric/hydraulic power system.
Detachable drive-up ramps.
Free standing design.
Self-lubricating bearings and cable sleeves.
Runways include rail-kit for optional accessories.

Specifications:
Lifting Capacity: 7,000 lbs.
Overall Width: 105”
Outside Length: 170-1/2”
Overall Length: 203-1/2”
Height Columns: 82”
Minimum Runway Height: 4-1/2”
Maximum Rise: 70-1/2”
Maximum Lifting Height: 75”
Width Between Columns: 92-1/2”
Runway Width: 18-5/8”
Width Between Runways: 37-1/2”
Length of Runways: 160-1/2”
Locking Positions: 10
Lock Spacing: Every 4-1/2”
Lifting Time: 45 Seconds
Standard Motor*: 220 VAC 60Hz. 1Ph
* Special Voltages Available Upon Request

txmarauder
10-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Something that maybe of interest. You get what you pay for. I will only buy a lift certified by ANSI. Here is a link to certified lift manufactures. Some companies say they meet the expectations but are not certified, so be aware. The following are certified.
http://www.autolift.org/members.html

MI2QWK4U
10-29-2006, 08:09 AM
I wonder if it makes a difference whether or not they are members or certified. That link indicates manufacturers that are members of the institute. The Dannmar lift is european and all of those listed are from the US and Canada. The installers I hired to put it together said the design was identical to the bend-pak 4 post lift and appeared to be of the same quality as well. I have had mine for a few months now and am very happy with the performance and value. Like I said, I will be getting a second one this spring.

Paul T. Casey
10-29-2006, 09:12 AM
If you have a big truck, and a strong back, lifts can be had real cheap anytime a commercial garage gets torn down. I don't have a picture, but my brother scored one for $100. 2 poster, 8 ton unit. Also, check into gov't surplus auction sites. Remember, it's not a good idea to use a storage lift to do repair work. None of you would look good with a 4000+ lb. hunk of steel on your head.

txmarauder
10-29-2006, 01:21 PM
I wonder if it makes a difference whether or not they are members or certified. That link indicates manufacturers that are members of the institute. The Dannmar lift is european and all of those listed are from the US and Canada. The installers I hired to put it together said the design was identical to the bend-pak 4 post lift and appeared to be of the same quality as well. I have had mine for a few months now and am very happy with the performance and value. Like I said, I will be getting a second one this spring.
I was not trying to knock any lift i was just wanting people to know what to look for in a reliable lift, not to say yours is not. But give my a bend pak 4 and some time and i can make one to look identical as well. It is the grade of metal and the quality of welds in my opinion along with other things that make a good lift.

Mike Poore
10-29-2006, 04:06 PM

If there is a God, Charlie has 2 of them, already. He just has to look in the garage. Shheez talk about climbing the mountain every dog gone day. Dennis:P :P :P :P :P

Hey Dennis? I get the feeling Lisa thought a Rotary lift was a piece of gymnastic equipment for the bedroom.
No wonder she gave such entheuiastic approval. :rolleyes:

I still say he gets the lift. :D

DEFYANT
10-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Got this PM over on GJ.com:

Hello there. I responded to your request for help on a group buy of automotive lifts. Tell your Mercury friends to take a look at this thread and advise if they would be interested in looking at a group buy from Rotary. My friend who retired from Rotary can likely make this happen.
Mike Martin
Madison, Ms
mikeamartin02349@aol.com (mikeamartin02349@aol.com)

The thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6046&highlight=group+buy

Bluerauder
10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Hey Dennis? I get the feeling Lisa thought a Rotary lift was a piece of gymnastic equipment for the bedroom.
No wonder she gave such entheuiastic approval. :rolleyes:

I still say he gets the lift. :D

I think that the Verbatim Record from the Clerk of the Court as transcribed below clearly states her intent and how it was interpreted. Backing out now is a flagrant breach of contract .... :rolleyes:

sonuva..... so do I !!!! and i dont even know wtf a rotary lift IS

but imma get me one.

WooHoo!

I'm gettin a lift!

Did ya hear that guys? I didnt even axe!

I'm gettin a lift!

CJ's gunna love this

Mike Poore
11-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Bump....

We're moving on this. There's a note being sent to our vendors asking if they want to get involved in offering lifts, by any manufacturer, to the group.

Also, hoping Dave will share the specifics of the choice he made, for his lift install, although the specs he posted for the Dannmar D-7 4 post lift are very impressive.

While doing more searches, I came up with BendPak and Backyard Buddy, (the guys at Carlisle) as well as the commercial ones that may be a whole lot more than most of us need. I may have said this before, but Haggis told me that NAPA sells services and installs lifts, although, it seems a four post lift should be something most of us could do ourselves. Also, it seems to me, an option that would allow the wheels to be lifted, such as a tool bar with frame jacks would be an important option to consider.

We've already gotten a couple of leads on suppliers, it's just that we should give our vendors a chance.
Hopefully mine will be on site by Christmas.

txmarauder
11-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Thank you ,keep us posted.

Mike Poore
11-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Got this PM over on GJ.com:

Hello there. I responded to your request for help on a group buy of automotive lifts. Tell your Mercury friends to take a look at this thread and advise if they would be interested in looking at a group buy from Rotary. My friend who retired from Rotary can likely make this happen.
Mike Martin
Madison, Ms
mikeamartin02349@aol.com (mikeamartin02349@aol.com)

The thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6046&highlight=group+buy

Also, Glenn, posted that he can get us a price, and I PM'd him as well. Let's get 'er done!
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif We sell Lifts!
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->PM me with the model number of your lift, I will give you a quote at my employee cost.

Glenn

Ok, you guys, I'm sending an email to Mike Martin, as you've suggested, Charlie. I'm ready to move on getting a Rotary Revolution RFP7-XLT, and a few accessories. Since we have no vendor here who's stepped up, I feel we are free to go make our best deal on a group buy. Who's in?

fastblackmerc
11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Ok, you guys, I'm sending an email to Mike Martin, as you've suggested, Charlie. I ready to move on getting a Rotary Revolution RFP7-XLT, and a few accessories. Since we have no vendor here who's stepped up, I feel we are free to go make our best deal on a group buy. Who's in?

I'm in.............

Haggis
11-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Also, Glenn, posted that he can get us a price, and I PM'd him as well. Let's get 'er done!
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif We sell Lifts!
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->PM me with the model number of your lift, I will give you a quote at my employee cost.

Glenn

Ok, you guys, I'm sending an email to Mike Martin, as you've suggested, Charlie. I'm ready to move on getting a Rotary Revolution RFP7-XLT, and a few accessories. Since we have no vendor here who's stepped up, I feel we are free to go make our best deal on a group buy. Who's in?

Will they deliver and install the lift? And is it a 30amp hook up?

GreekGod
11-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I can say, a 4 post lift is not very good for working on cars. The ramps are always in the way. For just storage, they are fine. Take a drive around your town and see what the repair garages use.

Mike Poore
11-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I can say, a 4 post lift is not very good for working on cars. The ramps are always in the way. For just storage, they are fine. Take a drive around your town and see what the repair garages use.

Thanks for the head's up, and we've considered this. The Rotary revolution is opened on both ends, and the ramps can be removed. Also, since my plan is to mostly use it for oil changes, tire, brake & shock work, and detailing, plus the garage floor is not properly re enforced to accommodate a two post lift, I'm more or less stuck with this choice. Dave has a 4 poster and is getting another, so I'll take that as a recommendation.

Gordon, they can be had in 110 or 220 volt applications. Call (800) 604-3359 for a brochure. :)

jimlam56
11-20-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm in.............

I'm interested too...

fastblackmerc
11-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Is there a website?

Haggis
11-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the head's up, and we've considered this. The Rotary revolution is opened on both ends, and the ramps can be removed. Also, since my plan is to mostly use it for oil changes, tire, brake & shock work, and detailing, plus the garage floor is not properly re enforced to accommodate a two post lift, I'm more or less stuck with this choice. Dave has a 4 poster and is getting another, so I'll take that as a recommendation.

Gordon, they can be had in 110 or 220 volt applications. Call (800) 604-3359 for a brochure. :)

Whoa....are these two post or four post lifts? Volt applications whatever, but what amps? Hard wire or plug in?

Mike Poore
11-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Whoa....are these two post or four post lifts? Volt applications whatever, but what amps? Hard wire or plug in?

Gordon, and all, the only kind of lift I can consider for myself, is a 4 post lift, and since our friend Glenn has offered to help out with a group buy at his employee price, I'm thinking it makes little difference which model anyone wants, since we just let him know which model, plus accessories, give him your card number, and it gets drop shipped to the specified destination. I've gotten two brochures, one for the commercial model Rotary Lift, and one for their Hobbyist model the "revolution". The commercial one utilizes a 2hp motor, and I'd expect the revolution would be ~ 2hp, or less. Here's the website: www.revolutionlifts.com (http://www.revolutionlifts.com) The website is somewhat cumbersome, but I'll be calling Glenn tomorrow, and getting some specifics.

Also, since the "revolution" can be equiped with casters and moved about in the garage, I believe it can be simply pluged in to a wall socket, or with an extension cord, although I'm not sure this is correct.

Mike Poore
11-22-2006, 07:43 AM
OK, we have a friend who will front Rotary lifts to us at an attractive price, shipping, extra. Keep in mind, there's not a lot of profit in these, and the price is just ~$200 less than the quote I got from a local vendor, who will deliver, set up, service, and warranty the product. Can you safely unload a nearly 4,000 lb package from a delivery truck, and set up the lift yourself, for $200? I, for one, can/will not.

Although the offer to help us out is very generous, I feel the hassle for him and for us, is not going to be beneficial to either party so therefore, I suggest we call it having given the plan a good try, and go to your local jobber and make your best deal.

BTW, Gordon tells me that NAPA sells, installs and services lifts, you might want to give them a try. I'm going with Rotary.

Glenn, and others who helped out, I thank you on behalf of all interested parties for your patience, and generosity. You went to some trouble, and stuck your neck out ...we thank you.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"></v:shapetype>