PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who knows jeeps

RR|Suki
10-30-2006, 07:22 AM
I've posted this on a few different forums, trying to get a good idea of what to do I'm looking at maybe buying this jeep for the winter it's a 1991,

It's the 2.5L I4. 30Kmi on a new engine, 10K on the new trans and clutch. New windsheild, battery tires. 200K on the chassis, it needs a new top (soft top). I went and looked at it, drives very nice deffinately a new engine, and the clutch doesn't even feel totally broke in honestly. kid's mom is sellin it, he bought a new car and blah blah blah. Wants 3,300 worth it? I'm not a jeep expert. , especially as all the big repairs are already done...

I was thinking of offering 3000...

cyclopsram
10-30-2006, 07:31 AM
200 K on the chassis....keep lookin' my advice... RAM

Krytin
10-30-2006, 07:31 AM
There are still some big ticket items left - transfer case and differentials/axles

Bigdogjim
10-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Soft top ........$500.00

gpfarrell
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Me thinks it's really hard to buy anything with 200k on it.

Yeah, some of the big stuff is done, but as posted above there still could be a bit more to go.

As nice as it is to have the big things done though, the "little things" can be really annoying. Stuff like wiper motors, or the pump that runs the washers, or the do-flickey that cancels the turn signal when you're done turning... can really drain the pride in ownership.

I'd think a 2.5l stick-shift should be a great winter Jeep, but its also the bottom of the Jeep food chain. Finding a buyer for it will be extra hard because few of them ever hit 200k.

Unless it's got lots of candy that you like (stereo, chrome wheels, etc), I'd keep looking.

Seems to me you might spend $4k for one with half the miles, half the aggravation, and a much better resale value.

Two cents for me please!

Raudermaster
10-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Is the engine NEW? Or is it a rebuilt engine? Same for the transmission. I'd offer him $2200. He can't justify 200k miles on the frame and charge that much, although I'm sure he's looking to get back what it cost him for the engine/trans/clutch to be put in. Offer him a lot less, or keep looking like cyclopsram said.

quota
10-30-2006, 08:43 AM
I had a Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited. At 100 K kilometers, the gearbox (auto) died. The dealer told me that this happened "a couple of times" with "this model" between 100 K and 120 K. This Jeep was my first and last one.

JP

Leadfoot281
10-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Any Jeep with a 2.5 automatically has half the re-sale of a 4.0.

Soft tops suck in the winter. Even if they're new.

Check the where rear leaf spring mounts to the frame for rust. They tend to rust at the front section (frame rails are boxed there and they tend to collect dirt, then rust). Punch it with a screwdriver a few times.

Two 5 speeds were available. One was a Peugout. That one is junk. I don't remember how to tell them apart though. I believe the Peugout unit has a case that is split vertically.

CJ5's 7's and Wranglers are too short and light for winter driving. I'm not saying you can't go through snow in them, but there are better winter vehicals out there.

I wouldn't drive a 2.5 after owning the Marauder. Try driving it up a big hill before making an offer. Offer him $1300. Wait two months and offer him $1100 (it'll still be for sale). That's my two cents.

RUSTY
10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I had a 1990 YJ same powertrain [or lack off] as the one you are looking at.
This softtop engine combination will never create a warm environment inside in any cold weather. My wifes little 1990 dodge colt was a much better vehicle in the snow. The jeep is to short and is only two wheel drive even in fourwheel drive,one front one rear.I soon ruined the engine in my Jeep and added a 350/TH350 combo to up the cabin heat/fun level. It was good off road but it was no winter vehicle for the non Jeep lover.
my Wife loved to drag ricers from stoplight to stoplight just to see there reaction.

MdnightMarauder
10-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Dont get a 2.5. I would find a 4.0. IMHO. Much better engine. But that does have a lot of miles on it. I would say no, dont buy.

RR|Suki
10-31-2006, 04:26 PM
I decided to get a 1996 Trooper instead, thing is a tank :D