PDA

View Full Version : Driving while Texting

Rider90
10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Was driving down I-90/I-94 this evening and for the Chicago guys, it sure was a windy day. This brought to my attention something that apparently, a lot of people do - Drive their cars while not talking on their phones, but texting people. Rather than keeping their eyes and hands on the road/wheel, they have now moved their eyes to their lap and one hand on the wheel (or none) to tell their friends information that probably is not as important as keeping your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road, when you're doing 75 MPH with 30 MPH wind gusts. This evening I was almost taken off the road twice by this crowd.

:nono:

Raudermaster
10-30-2006, 09:41 PM
I see people do that all the time. I can't believe they can drive/text at the same time! It's as bad as someone on a bicyle eating/smoking/talkin on a cell. I've seen women do makeup while driving. Like full visor mirror down, hand mirror, and then lipstick in the other hand, or eye shadow. I don't get how these people can do that, then cause an accident and say, "I didn't even see them there!"

Bigdogjim
10-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Speed does not kill! Stupid drivers do!

DEFYANT
10-30-2006, 10:04 PM
It will give you pleasure to know I once stopped a woman who was driving her car while holding her cell phone in one hand, the other was behind her head as she was leaning back -reclined.

She said she was steering with her knee. Despite the fact that she did ok in the "S" turn and there were no other cars on the road, she got written up. I don't think she understood the danger.... and she had her two young children in the car.

Go figure.

Driving while distracted is as dangerous as DWI.

teamrope
10-30-2006, 10:31 PM
It will give you pleasure to know I once stopped a woman who was driving her car while holding her cell phone in one hand, the other was behind her head as she was leaning back -reclined.

She said she was steering with her knee. Despite the fact that she did ok in the "S" turn and there were no other cars on the road, she got written up. I don't think she understood the danger.... and she had her two young children in the car.

Go figure.

Thank you Charlie. I wish there were enough of you guys out there to make a greater impacton this kind of stuff. :beer: (disclaimer: That's root beer in the glasses. :) )

RCSignals
10-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Some one will eventually develop a steering wheel that has text-Internet-email enabled buttons. We can already control the Stereo from the steering wheel.

Marauderman
10-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Unfortunately, it's just as hard for our LEO's too----they have to type often on their computer while moving in their crusiers ---and its done all day long---the REAL difference here is--they are pro's at it ----but just the same--they are exposed ---I am amazed how fast my LEO friend does this when I am doing a ride-a-long with him---its like magic--hence the trick of doing it each day -----

Cheers to all the LEO"S out there!!!:bows:

Hack Goby
10-31-2006, 06:08 AM
For the love of a younger women I was for a short time guilty of doing it.Anyone who was at Barry`s get together got a good laugh because my phone was going off every ten minutes and a couple of times I answered while in a convoy(And we all know we were just a little over the speed limit)She has since moved on and I promise that will never happen again.

DEFYANT
10-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Unfortunately, it's just as hard for our LEO's too----they have to type often on their computer while moving in their crusiers ---and its done all day long---the REAL difference here is--they are pro's at it ----but just the same--they are exposed ---I am amazed how fast my LEO friend does this when I am doing a ride-a-long with him---its like magic--hence the trick of doing it each day -----

Truth is, this is also a problem. I've had a couple of close calls with stuff in the car.

Even messing with the heater, radio, looking in the glove box...

LordVader
10-31-2006, 08:00 AM

Go figure.

Now that's a reckless driver! Kids in the car and "look Ma, no hands".

Bluerauder
10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
This brought to my attention something that apparently, a lot of people do - Drive their cars while not talking on their phones, but texting people. :nono:

I really don't know why the insurance companies have not stepped up to do more in the area of enforcement by raising premiums on these folks. I'd suggest lower rates for folks who sign a pledge not to use cell phones or PDAs while driving. Far too many rear end accidents occur when the drivers are distracted especially in heavy/congested traffic. There's enough information out there to support this finding. If they are found to be the cause of a wreck while on the phone .... their insurance is null & void.

Just last night, a guy in a silver Dodge Magnum locked up his brakes and nearly rear-ended the car sitting next to me. Both were on their cell phones. :mad:

Notice any vehicle doing 10 MPH under the limit, weaving, or crossing lines on turns -- there's a 95% chance that they are on the phone. The other 5% are drunk. :(

Personally, cell phone use while driving is IMHO a major indicator of Personal Insecurity -- it is the digital umbilical cord to connect to somebody, anybody who will listen to them babble. They need :help:

Let's be honest .... some of these folks don't have enough brain cells to spare to divert their attention from the road. I suspect that they still need help tying their shoes.

Of course, I really don't have any strong opinions on this. ;)

RCSignals
10-31-2006, 12:35 PM
For the love of a younger women I was for a short time guilty of doing it............................ ................I promise that will never happen again.

the texting....right? :)

KAILUAZ
10-31-2006, 01:14 PM

I could count all the times I almost rear-ended people while on the darn laptop, but I ran out of fingers and toes. And I do it every day, no less the soccer mom trying to get the refreshment list for the after game party!
I wish they would ban cell phone use here in FL to hands free only!!

Hotrauder
10-31-2006, 01:38 PM
For the love of a younger women I was for a short time guilty of doing it.Anyone who was at Barry`s get together got a good laugh because my phone was going off every ten minutes and a couple of times I answered while in a convoy(And we all know we were just a little over the speed limit)She has since moved on and I promise that will never happen again.

Hack, you are forgiven. For the love of a younger woman everything is forgiven short of actually bursting into flames. It is a wonderfully stupid time. Oh, cell phones....the use in a moving vehicle should be punishable by walking till forever. Dennis

Bluerauder
10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
I wish they would ban cell phone use here in FL to hands free only!!
The use of "Hands Free" devices is a fallacy. This has been proven too. Cell phone use ranks at the very top of a long list of distractions and it is 4 times more likely to result in an accident than the next highest distraction which is fumbling around for CDs. It is the act of concentrating on the phone call that diverts the attention ... not the phone itself. Use of hand free device will do little if anything to cure the rampant use of the phone on the highways.

cvpi71
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM

it's call multi tasking, I hate it when the keybord don't light up at night and I have to do it by sensing the letters on the keyboard, though if it's important I usually pull over and . It's a good thing that my keyboard is replaced and it's light up at night.

Motorhead350
11-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I'll admit I am guilty to this, but only when I send the message that says "Can't text, driving." Aren't phones meant to talk to people? Modern technology :shake:

marauderpunk24
11-01-2006, 04:40 PM
So is this why Mom said I cant have unlimited text because of another distraction? I thought it was the girlfriend. But anyway, I have a phone, but I have to pay per message and I cant use it while I drive. I've never seen anyone do it, but it makes the road a little more scary knowing people do.