PDA

View Full Version : My teeth are ripped out

Motorhead350
11-02-2006, 03:54 PM
The teeth on my 4x4 for my Blazer that is. Just wanna know if I need to change any settings sense I need to change the gear in the front axel. I don't know what it is, but I would like to make it 3:73 to match the rear. I had to take the thing somewhere to get the speedo corrected for the rear, do I need anything special for the front? Winter is coming so I better get this fixed soon... eventhough I only need it about four times a year.

BruteForce
11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Repeat after me... sense (I have a 6th sense)... since (since I have a 6th sense I can tell the difference).

DefyantExWife
11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
is it me or does this thread make no since ? :confused:

;)

Hotrauder
11-02-2006, 07:10 PM
is it me or does this thread make no since ? :confused:

;)

You are a bbbaaaaddddd girl. But...you have a wonderful since of humor. Dennis:D

Motorhead350
11-02-2006, 08:34 PM
No it does make sense. Are their any settings I have to worry about when changing the gear in a front axel? I'm sure someone knows. if I wanted to start a pointless thread I would tell you about the first time I got arrested.

Breadfan
11-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Changing gears in the front diff will be very similar to doing the rear. You'll need to know how to set it up correctly, have the right tools.

I'm sure you can find out pretty easily what the ratio of the front axle was stock, maybe some C/K 5 sites or even the GM parts counter? Is there an axle tag?

You shouldn't have to do anything for the speedo on the front diff...

TooManyFords
11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, I've rebuilt Dana 44's in the front of my fords, so let's try to get a little more info.

What front axle is in your truck? (most 4x4's used these, but not all)

Hi pinion or low pinion? (tells if it is a reverse rotation or not, important if you replace the ring & pinion)

Which gears came apart? Are just the spyder gears trashed and the r & pinion still ok? (if so, a cheap and easy fix)

We'll start with these.

BTW, I think I still have a pair of axle seals on my shelf for a Dana 44 (79 Ford and many others)

John

Motorhead350
11-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the spider gears. Lets put it this way, a few years back when I had a blower on the thing (yes, stupid but fun!) the guy who was doing my work said "Heres a trick for you." He put it in 4 Low and floored it. Not only was it much quicker off the line, but he ruined the gears. We covered the rear, but never thought of the front. My 4x4 hasn't worked properly for the past year until finally someone realized this was the problem. I don't go to the guy who ruined the front anymore so this is my buck.

I don't know much about the 4x4 system other than the fact that I don't have to get out to mess with the hubs and it's the stock system. I think it's just the teeth that need replacing. If I shift it into 4x4 it will work until I let off the throttle and it will fall back into 2 wheel drive. I wish I had more knowledge for you John, but from what your telling me it doesn't sound like a big deal.

Breadfan
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Are you sure the diff is damaged and not the transfer case?

I don't recall off-hand what the stock transfer case was...

Motorhead350
11-02-2006, 09:37 PM
I know it's the gear. I have had the transfer case checked many times and every place has said it's fine. I guess one place finally took off my cover on the front diff and found the problem. Plus they said if it was the trasfer case it wouldn't be shifting at all. The only problem is I have to find a place to go to because I/They burned a bridge with me when I got my truck back it needed a u-joint for whatever reason the second I got it back on the road. :bs:

MarauderMark
11-03-2006, 04:55 AM
You are a bbbaaaaddddd girl. But...you have a wonderful since of humor. Dennis:D

Oooooooo i'm tellin Charlie.:nono: :D