PDA

View Full Version : 1948 f1 to preserve--help!

Bruce Wayne
11-11-2006, 07:28 AM
I am the new proud owner of a '48 f series truck from Nebraska which is in good original condition. How should i preserve the unprotected metal, now that the truck is in the rust belt climate. Should I paint exposed metal, or oil all surfaces that do not have paint. only a slight surface discolorization is visible at this time, but I know it will start rusting soon. Truck is happily stored in a semi-dry barn for the winter. Thanks for any helpful hints

martyo
11-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Restore it and drive it!

Cars were made to be driven!!

Breadfan
11-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Get any and all exposed metal covered immediately. Exposed metal can start rusting in 12 hours! The process starts pretty quick unfortunately..

To cover it even if just for storage, I recommend POR-15. You may want to remove it later when you restore the truck but for a quick cover it will work and is a real good rust inhibitor.

I'd love something just like that, I'd put a reliable motor in it, new driveline and radial tires and make it my commuter car, how cool would that be!

O's Fan Rich
11-11-2006, 08:34 AM
I keep a hehumidfier running full blast in my shop.
There is minimal rust on my 68 Fastback mega project.

younga1
11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Sounds like a cool ride/project. We need pictures though. New Mm.net rule: All newly aquired ride posts require photos!? What does everyone think?? Kinda like "MAN LAW"

RCSignals
11-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Join the Early Ford V8 Club of America

If the truck is in very good to excellent unrestored and original condition, consider keeping it mostly that way. Original vehicles have their own class and are prized as 'reference' examples.

To protect bare metal areas, for now consider covering them with a heavy oil, at least over the winter.