PDA

View Full Version : Who was the MM.net member....

marauder307
11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
...who just had knee surgery done?

I need (no pun intended) to consult with him.

After about 20 years since the first time I damaged it, my left knee has gone away; running has become excruciating. I start out hobbling, then the knee loosens up and I can go on; then about 10-15 mins after I stop, I can't move. At least, not without looking like I'm about 40 years older than I actually am. I keep getting shooting pains criss-crossing under the kneecap.

13 years of CG service didn't help; CG small boats don't come with shock absorbers, and we don't typically go out when it's all nice and sunny and FAC out.

I bought a new knee brace at the local drugstore yesterday; it felt so uncomfortable that I took it off and went without it.

Gettin' old sucks.:depress:

Paul T. Casey
11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I know Mike Poore is on my daily prayer list for his, haven't checked back with him on his surgery as of yet.

dwasson
11-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Hip surgery here.

Mike Poore
11-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I know Mike Poore is on my daily prayer list for his, haven't checked back with him on his surgery as of yet.

Thanks, Paul and all who helped pull me through my poor knee getting fixed. Marauder307, in my case it was a torn ACL which was surgically replaced by a cadaver "donation", August a year ago, and at this time, you'd never know there was anything wrong with it. I started out by getting arthroscopic surgery to repair the torn meniscus, and that's exactly what you've got going on, from the description of your symptoms. It's a relatively minor procedure, and you're as good as new in about a week, then PT to get the muscles working.
My understanding is that when the meniscus suffers a tear there's a flap that can fold over and get wedged between the knee joint, locking it up or worse, not to mention the excruciating pain. Go find a good sports medicine shop, and get 'em to 'scope it. They'll most likely send you for an MRI and pull and bend your poor knee in ways you'd never think possible. Please don't put it off, because it can lead you to taking a nasty fall ....furthermore, at least in my case, there was no way PT or drugs were gonna cure it.
Looks like a new guy for our prayer list Paul.

Mike
11-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I agree with Mike Poore, I had a couple of scopes done and it sounds like you might need the same. You should be back on your feet in a couple of days and back to "normal" a few weeks later. Good luck.

marauder307
11-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Okay...thanks fellas. I'm not sure when I'm going to get some downtime to get this looked at, but I may have make the time soon...climbing the stairs at home is getting interesting. I appreciate everybody's feedback and I'll have it looked at soon as I can.

Thanks guys. :up:

O's Fan Rich
11-15-2006, 05:46 AM
Dan, dawasson is his handle I believe, just had work done.

Mad4Macs
11-15-2006, 06:12 AM
Had mine done mid January.
I'm no expert, by any means, but my best advise? See a therapist first, then shop surgeons (if required).
One of my biggest problems, was that after I last hurt my knee, I began unconsciously favoring that leg. After a few months, the muscle strength deteriorated, placing further strain on the joint. All I knew at the time, was that I couldn't put weight on my leg and it hurt.
X-Rays were negative and the MRI inconclusive, but the surgeon felt the problem was in the medial meniscus, so I had artho done. Once in, a small crack was found on the backside of my kneecap, but nothing abnormal showed anywhere else.
After surgery, I went into therapy for eight weeks, where my PT immediately noted my right quad had (visibly!) lost muscle mass. During therapy, I found that I had exactly the same pain, in the same location as before, but after MUCH strength training, it got much better.
Anyways,
This is only my 2 cents. If you've got X-Rays and MRI's showing you've got a tear somewhere, shop a surgeon. If not, look into a sports therapist.
Good luck!

LordVader
11-15-2006, 06:35 AM

Had my knee replaced end of February this year. Originally hurt my knee in the service (playing football), then I was in an accident and the knee got hit again. My story was because the one knee was bad, it kind of dragged the other one down. Got both scoped about five years ago and it lasted for awhile, but then they ended up being bone on bone. So I got the left one (the worst) done in February and was back at work in three weeks. Went from surgery to rehab hospital to home and finished therapy in six weeks. The left one is good and still have get the right one done. Advice is get that knee looked asap to prevent further damage and to keep anything from happening to the other knee. Knees are precious and if I knew how they would hobble me later in life I would have taken better care of them.

GA-Marauder
11-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Okay...thanks fellas. I'm not sure when I'm going to get some downtime to get this looked at, but I may have make the time soon...climbing the stairs at home is getting interesting. I appreciate everybody's feedback and I'll have it looked at soon as I can.

Thanks guys. :up:

The good thing is, from personal experience, if it is torn miniscus (sp?) as mentioned above, then it really is a breeze to fix. I'm not and was't as physically active as you, but I did play golf on a regular basis (couple times a week) and I was back out on the course after my last scope playing my usual lowsy game in 9 days. That's not a lot of down time. And, the surgery was on a Thursday, and Saturday I swear I could not tell anything was ever wrong. As mentioned before, do not delay. Good luck.:)

Mike Poore
11-16-2006, 06:40 AM
One of my biggest problems, was that after I last hurt my knee, I began unconsciously favoring that leg. After a few months, the muscle strength deteriorated, placing further strain on the joint. All I knew at the time, was that I couldn't put weight on my leg and it hurt.
X-Rays were negative and the MRI inconclusive, but the surgeon felt the problem was in the medial meniscus, so I had artho done. Once in, a small crack was found on the backside of my kneecap, but nothing abnormal showed anywhere else.
After surgery, I went into therapy for eight weeks, where my PT immediately noted my right quad had (visibly!) lost muscle mass. !

There's the big issue as I see it, and it is a downward spiral that leads to many other symptoms: back & hip pain, and undue stress upon the uninjured leg. The muscle atrophy begins almost immediately, and PT will play a major role in your recovery.
For now, you should start, even if it's only a set of those strap on ankle weights from Wall-Mart, and doing leg lifts (both legs) while lying in bed only. No standing lifts, and only with legs straight, to build the quads.
Box the compass: back, right side, stomach, left side. Do three reps of ten, starting with the one pound inserts. Before surgery, I was up to 100 reps, with 10lbs on each leg, and was back at it a week after.