PDA

View Full Version : Ford satellite radio? maybe XM add on

DLoreanMARAUDER
06-03-2003, 08:26 PM
after asking my dealer about satellite Radio, he called up their ford accessorys dept and told him Ford plans on making satellite radio availible in october, but could not tell me whether it would go with the stock system or be a simple add on or need to replace everything. he did say some '04s will have the option from the factory. anybody know if this is true? I want to get satellite radio, and I already have the pioneer XM (add to any sterio) system with subscription, but dont want to start splicing and drilling just yet. I installed it on my dads suburban and I loved it, but my dad sold the truck so I took it out and its just sitting in the trunk of my MM while I'm paying $10 a month. id rather get somthing that will go witht he stock setup without having to add or replace anything, but if ford doenst make anything avalible id go with the pioneer XM system. my only problem is that I dont know where to mount the little feceplate? if anyone can shine some light on this subject it would help. should I wait to see if Ford produces anything or go right fot the pioneer setup?

RCSignals
06-03-2003, 08:59 PM
People seem to be liking it.
I still can't get used to the idea of paying to receive Radio

Murader03
06-04-2003, 01:41 AM
I have XM installed on my MM, the same set up your speaking of. The control unit is mounted on the matrix trim panel on the right side of the steering wheel. If it had been a little smaller, I would have tried to mount it in the overhead console where the compass is. Don't use it anyway! When I get home from work tonight, I'll snap a picture and post it to you.

RC....I live in a mostly dead area as far as quality music/news channels go. With the embedded antenna in the rear window, I think the reception sucks anyway. It was an alternative and in my case, worth the added cost. I don't have to worry about finding different radio stations during my daily commute or trips. I'm in the car 2 to 3 hours daily, not counting any side trips needed.

mensrea
06-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Again, all I can say is BUY, IT, USE IT, LOVE IT.....

here's a pic from AutoWeek that shows where I had my Alpine XM control to the right of the wheel... look closely... Hey, since I don't have a Marauder anymore does that make me a "LURKER"?

MMpridenjoy
06-04-2003, 05:52 AM
I went with the Delphi SKYFi audio system. I love it!!! The nice thing about this unit is... no splicing or having to remove the head unit to hook a RF modulator. The reciever sits on a custom made bracket to the right of the climate control. Found a company that made the bracket for my system, for the Marauder. Was surprised they had the '03 MM listed. Anyway, I think XM radio is AWESOME! And since I feel this way, I wanted something that would be able to move directly from my car to my house audio. The Delphi allows this by also purchasing a home kit. Hooks directly into my home theatre system. So whether I am in the car or home, I am always enjoying the benefits of XM. And like I said earlier, no headaches with splicing or hacking. Love the XM.

MMpridenjoy
06-04-2003, 05:57 AM
By the way, for anyone using this system, here is the link to the custom bracket for mounting this thing inside the beast!

Custom bracket for Delphi system here! (http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/xmradio/vsm_install.html)

MM03MOK
06-04-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by mensrea
... Hey, since I don't have a Marauder anymore does that make me a "LURKER"?
We took a vote and we're grandfathering your membership.
Mensrea Marauder Emeritus
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/b/coolgleam.gif

mensrea
06-04-2003, 07:07 AM
Listen, one of my concerns about selling the car was that I would loose one of my favorite hobbies... MM.net

It means a lot thanks

RCSignals
06-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Now go out and buy another one. ;) :)

DLoreanMARAUDER
06-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Murader03
I have XM installed on my MM, the same set up your speaking of. The control unit is mounted on the matrix trim panel on the right side of the steering wheel.

I was thinking about either putting it where you put it, or on the flip down overhead console door (sunglass holder), this way it would be concealed till I need it. I too live in a dead area that only gets about 3 radio stations, and by the lighthouse (the tip of LI) I get none, sometimes some static from a conneticut station. Id like to see some picture, I saw mensrea's, and hes got a pretty good location too.

To those with XM or Sirius, what type of anntenne did you get (roof, or glass mount). does anyone have a tear down manual on there PC? I have the tool to remove the radio, just gotta remove some of the DOT matrix or the overhead consol, depending on where I decide to mount it.

marauder307
06-05-2003, 07:26 PM
I never did have much luck with XM. The Pioneer unit never worked, and the tech folks were real D--ks to me about it. So I took it out and had Sirius installed instead. A few fewer channels, and another two bucks/month, but it works like a champ....especially here in STL, where the DJs talk way too much and say too little and RUN OVER THE !@#$!@ SONGS!:mad2::shot:
Anyway, I got the Kenwood FM mod unit with silver face. Sits on the dash on the faux carbon-fiber trim, right next to the clock. The first unit I had crapped out at the faceplate---according to Circuit City, it was vibrated to death (don't ask---I don't know).
But they ordered a new one in and fixed it in a week without hassle...

DLoreanMARAUDER
06-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by MMpridenjoy
I went with the Delphi SKYFi audio system. I love it!!! The nice thing about this unit is... no splicing or having to remove the head unit to hook a RF modulator. The reciever sits on a custom made bracket to the right of the climate control.

so this would be a compleatly seperate system, with its own speakers or would the music play though the MM speakers? no splicing or drilling? Sounds too good to be true. please elaborate.
Thanks rob
--Tony

MMpridenjoy
06-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey Tony,
The Delphi system is AWESOME!!! It powers off the cig lighter. It modulates throught the cassette player. And it comes with a sweet slim and low profile antenna. The sound is the best. Sounds better than my CD player in the car. Like I said... no splicing or hacking of any wires whatsoever. No radio removal..
I got mine at Circuit City, but I am sure you can get it online or something of the sort. The reciever is about $110.00. The car kit (which you must buy also) comes with everything to get it running in the MM including a nice mount for the unit. I also opted for the home Kit so that I can bring my Delphi reciever in the house and crank it up through my home stereo. Both kits (car and home) are about $60.00 bucks each. This is a great system. Also comes with a remote for the reciever. Here is the link on the system:
Delphi XM System (http://www.delphi.com/electronics/skyfi/)
This system like I said is just an altenative to hard wiring something that must stay in the vehicle all the time. I spend more time in my house per day than I do in my car, so that is why I opted for this unit. I definitely get my $10.00 monthly subscription worth buy using it this way.
Later Tony,
Rob~