PDA

View Full Version : Ennis, TX - FFW

martyo
06-04-2003, 12:23 AM
OK, so today I cleared the last of my work related hurdles and bearing anything terribly and unforeseen, I am going to TX. I can not even begin to describe how excited I am. I have met so many of the really great folks around here and spoken to a bunch more, so that this event seems like a trip to see old friends. Not a single one of my friends around home gets what this is about or understands my excitement. Ah, screw 'em!!

Anyway. here is my dilemma and where I am looking for advice and input from my friends here: I am not a long distance driver (generally I would max out at about 5 hours of drive time). So If I drive down I would need to split the drive up over at least three days and push myself to average 8-9 hours a day. Doing this round trip though would simply consume too much time that I just don't have (those of you that know me, know that I work way too much and time off comes at a huge premium).

As an alternative to driving, I can have my car trucked all or part of the way there and all or a part of the way back. I have looked at a couple of transporters and the prices are all about the same. I know it is pricey, but given the lack of vacation that I take and how important this event is to me, I can deal with that (plus I finished paying off the ex last May!). Has anyone used one of these transport services and if so, what are your thoughts? Is there anyone in TX that could give me a hand with logistics? My calls to the transports so far have revealed that these places are not pinpoint precise, so the car may have to arrive a few days early or stay a few days late and I might need a hand from someone coordinating that.

Yes, I know that there are people that would volunteer to drive my car one way or the other (Thanks Big Dog for the offers in that department). I just don't want anyone driving my car that distance without me in it and it is unlikely that I will change my mind on this issue, unless Mac decides to leave his car home! (just kidding!!).

So, bottom line is this. I like the idea of transporting the car via truck. I will try to get Steve Babcock to pick up part of the freight (yeah, right), but I need some help coordinating this.

Any thoughts?? :help:

P.S. Sorry for the long post, but I spend a lot of time with Mac :)

CRUZTAKER
06-04-2003, 04:24 AM
OH my, I feel for you. Atleast you have the assets to do something like that. I'll be lucky to raise fun money!

The first leg is a long one out of New York....to Memphis...just over 1000 miles. Before we finished reading my wife suggested having a buddy drive it, while you followed or led in BigDog's ride....but now I see your point....although I have gotten a kick out of watching MY car go down the road. My wife driving it of course.

Wish I had more to offer.....

engine23ccvfd
06-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey Marty,

you might check on trains some of the cross country trips like the sunset limited and such have car carriers attached. Many Amtrak trains stop in Longview which is probably two hours from Ennis

MAD-3R
06-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Only auto train is between lorton VA and Fla.

martyo
06-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
Hey Marty,

you might check on trains some of the cross country trips like the sunset limited and such have car carriers attached. Many Amtrak trains stop in Longview which is probably two hours from Ennis

I had this thought too. Unfortunately, the Amtrak trains that carry cars only run from Virginia to Florida. I loved this idea and wished that it would have worked!

Added after post: Mad beat me to the punch on this one.

engine23ccvfd
06-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Hell get a couple of friends, rent a motorhome, rent a car carrier and take a vacation. I did this with threee friends to ski in New Mexico. Made the 18 hour drive rotating 4 hour shifts, spent five days skiing and then came home.

RCSignals
06-04-2003, 11:13 AM
You could always fly me to NY and I could drive you in your car to TX :D

looking97233
06-04-2003, 03:07 PM
What RC said. I'm out of work and have lots of time. I could be your driver.

merc
06-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Yo, Mad 3-R are you going to TX for the meet? I don’t know if I can schedule the time. I was thinking I could get a trailer and tow both cars. I am investigating the cost. What do you think!!!!

:bandit:

MAD-3R
06-05-2003, 04:24 AM
Merc, I am planning on going to Texas. My car should be back on the road by then.
Is this your thought?
You towing your car car down, and was thinking of getting MartyO's also, and want to hook up so i can run blocker for you?

martyo
06-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Are you guys serious? This is a real issue for me. Don't break my lug nuts here.....

MAD-3R
06-05-2003, 06:01 AM
Down Martyo, down. Don't jump up on people. :)

I am asking for clearification on merc's thought prosses.

SergntMac
06-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
Down Martyo, down. Don't jump up on people. :) I am asking for clearification on merc's thought prosses.

Mad, I don't think MartyO is upset in that way, I think he's anxious and hopeful. Renting a multiple car hauler may be his answer, and helpful to others as well. I think he's saying "don't tease me," but I haven't spoken with him recently, so, IMHO...

MAD-3R
06-05-2003, 07:38 AM
I just don't want him to get his hopes up ether. It was more a remark that he has puppys that he has probably said the exact same thing to them, when they get excited. :) And concidering the size of his puppys, I think he has said it ALOT!! :D

merc
06-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Yes I would Like to rent a multile car hauler to aswer your question. Marty0, It's going to take a couple of days to research the information. If you happen to have prices then shoot me a e-mail at mwhite@ndf.org. I believe we could make this happen.

martyo
06-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Merc: The folks I spoke to were "professional" haulers, so they take two to three weeks to deliver in each direction. The logistics are pretty tough with them. And, as we say in New York, it ain't cheap!!

Mad: How'd you know about my beasts?

Everyone else: Mac is right. I am up tight. It is a genetic defect!

MAD-3R
06-05-2003, 05:35 PM
I was here when you told many of us you Great Danes. 200lb lagdog.

martyo
06-05-2003, 05:39 PM
They're labs 2x100 llbs. = 200llbs.

If only they could drive, they could help me get to Texas!!

RCSignals
06-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by martyo
Are you guys serious? This is a real issue for me. Don't break my lug nuts here.....

If you mean Looking and I. yes of course. We wouldn't tease you like that.

But, I see you'd rather trust the driving to your Labs, so I guess we're out :(

Bigdogjim
06-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
If you mean Looking and I. yes of course. We wouldn't tease you like that.

But, I see you'd rather trust the driving to your Labs, so I guess we're out :(

Hey Don't feel bad RC he would not let a real Big Dog drive it:P

CRUZTAKER
06-05-2003, 07:13 PM
I am impressed with the enthusiasm I read here.....I wish I had an idea to offer. I think the car hauler idea might work.

Maybe drive to Va., load it, drive to Nashville, park the loader, drive the MM the rest of the way in. Reverse the process upon return. Granted you would easily blow one additional day, or at minimum 12 hours, but if you have the time, it could work.

cruzer
06-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Marty, just logged 3.100 miles r/t Ft Worth to NE Pennsylvania in 5 1/2 days--lots of construction in Knoxville, Memphis and Little Rock--doesn't look like it will be completed by Sept.--travelled daylight only and I drove it all--wife doesn't drive-- it was a real pleasure to drive the MM--didn't see ANY MM's in all that driving !!! Hope you can work something out--You gotta come to Ennis

Bigdogjim
06-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Don't worry Cruzer will drag him if we have too:D :) :P

martyo
06-11-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Bigdogjim
Don't worry Cruzer will drag him if we have too:D :) :P

Jim: don't you worry your pretty little head. I'll be there. It is just a matter of how I go about doing it!