PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any experience with Buell Motorcycles?

KillJoy
11-19-2006, 02:10 PM
I am comtemplating getting a new bike come Spring / Summer. Up at the top of my list is a Buell Firebolt XB12R (http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/firebolt/xb12r/features.asp).

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this, or any similar model.

KillJoy

mrjones
11-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Last week in Houston at the Cycle World Motorcycle show, several of the mfgs had demo rides, and I test rode a Ulysses. It uses a lower hp version of the engine that's in the Firebolt. It rode and handled well, and had good power, but I would never shell out $12K for something that shakes as bad as this thing did. Our test loop was about 6.5 miles, and during that time I never got to the point where I didn't think the thing was going to die when I started to slow and stop for a light or sign.

I've got a buddy who bought a Firebolt for his son, and they both love it, but I don't think I would ever want to put up with the shaking. Above 3 grand, it smooths out nicely, but at idle and slow speeds, it feels like its going to die it shakes so bad. Of course, I've always ridden Japanese bikes, so I'm biased. I really wanted to like the Ulysses, but couldn't.

Rob1559
11-19-2006, 04:18 PM
They have one at Lowes in the paint dept. They shake!

RR|Suki
11-19-2006, 05:14 PM
there are better bikes for the price. But people do love them, it's kind of subjective. Some people hate how loud my Marauder is, but I wouldn't have it any other way... maybe the vbration s the same thing. I know alot of people complained about how hard the seat is on my bike, but again, I love her. So really I wouldn't worry about the shake... there are better bikes for less though, just so you know

KillJoy
11-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I like the ergonomics of the Firebolt. I have ridden several Metric Bikes before, and get wrist pain after a while of riding. The ONLY Metric Bike I like the feel of is a Hayabusa, and that is a hellova-lot of bike!!

KillJoy

RR|Suki
11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I like the ergonomics of the Firebolt. I have ridden several Metric Bikes before, and get wrist pain after a while of riding. The ONLY Metric Bike I like the feel of is a Hayabusa, and that is a hellova-lot of bike!!

KillJoy

If you can't handle the sport bike stance, try this out

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/SV1000SK7/Default.aspx

KillJoy
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Yup.....and SV650 or SV1000 is actually the next on my list!!!

I would not be getting a bike new.....depreciation on bikes suck! I am going to be looking at a bike 2-3 years old.

KillJoy

Vortex
11-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I rode one a few years back and wasnt that impressed. Power wasnt even as good as my big twin. Right now Id rather have a Triumph Thruxton.

GreekGod
11-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I meet with a biker group on Sunday mornings in the summer. There was a Buell rider that came occasionally. He was the only one, and many mornings we would get over 50 bikes. I think that means their lack of numbers indicates they aren't popular. There are "better" bikes for the money. I prefer BMW'S, so I do have a snobbish attitude. ;)

juno
11-20-2006, 06:06 AM
I drove #21 in gorgeous pearl white back in 95 when HD bought into Buell and almost bought it just for collection purposes. They went to a 900 cc model for a while and that was kind of a dog. I then drove a firebolt in 04 after they went back to the 1200 motors.
I gave up the rice rockets and cafe racers in 95 when I switched to harleys. After 15 years of insanity I was finally mature enough to realize that I did not have the self discipline to control myself on those things.
I was very impressed with my ride on the buell. The handling was very good, reminding me of a Ducati 900r. So handling is not an issue, the bike will outperform almost any non professional driver. Personally, I have gotten use to the torque monster v-twins and I prefer that now. It takes some getting use to if you are used to making power with rpm's.
I just sold my 1200 sportster and I am looking for a second bike to go with my roadking custom. I am considering the firebolt, but my cousin in New Brunswick (Canada) is having some issues with the computer on his 05. I would go on a Buell forum and ask around. See what issues are and how well they are holding their value.
What style of bike are you experienced with? What kind of riding are you looking for?

CRZYBIKER
11-20-2006, 09:32 AM
The sportbike posture is not for comfort, thats for sure. The Buell's handle very well, and power out of turns better than almost all mid-power metrics. If you want good top end speed, shop for something else, but for good torque and good twisty performance the buell is an awesome bike. There is good aftermarket for them if mods are your thing. If you have not spent any considerable time on a Harley based bike; definitely do so before taking the plunge because they do vibrate thats for sure. There are many many people that would not ride anything that does not "feel like a Harley" (ie: engine has some character). Or if you just want the ultimate in power and say you own the fastest PRODUCTION motorcycle around....well, here ya go :) , this guy's selling one. I have one sitting outside my office I have to walk by every day, makes me sick I cannot ride it....oh well. hahaha http://classybikes.com/44246

GreekGod
11-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Only!...$75,000 OBO ...Offers Considered...you better hurry 'cause it's going fast!!

CRZYBIKER
11-20-2006, 11:26 AM
HAH, but hey 239 MPH! Bang for the buck, the Buell is a nice performer though, Test ride one and you will like it. Watch out, because the short wheel base makes them wheelie monsters.

KillJoy
11-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Well....my expierence goes from Road Kings to Goldwings.....Honda Cruisers to Honda CBR 900RR.....and Suzuki Katana 600's to Hayabusas.....

:D

KillJoy

SamF
11-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Buells are peculiar...and they like an owner who is not afraid of maintenance and constant attention. I have more than a few friends that are former Buellers, including me. All of ours were tubers (1200cc EVO engines, full tube frames, the first generation). They were a ton of fun but they shake, rattle and roll. My S3 was probably the best bike I ever owned for getting on at the crack of dawn and having fun carving the corners. Lighting up that beast at dawn did alot to really get the adrenaline going! Reasonable power level with lots of Torque low and a wicked exhaust note. Set it up in third gear, keep the revs high and tear up the road. I never travelled far from home on it...100 miles was at the limit of my comfort level when it came to reliability, besides the Electra Glide was much better suited for this...It was a great Sunday morning asphalt shredder.

The new ones are more compact and have an updated form of the EVO/Lightning engine. A bit different animal than the 1st generation but has the same genes. They always felt too small to me. I like the Ulyses (sp?) alot but the seat height is a bit high. They don't hold any value to speak of, so make sure you like it before you buy it.

I sold my 2000 S3 with 17K on it for $3,500 in July (I was second owner). This is a bike that retailed at over 13K... :eek: and it was in beautiful shape, PM wheels, new tires, fresh spring tune up, shop manuals, cover, extra parts, etc. I miss it sometimes, but with the MM I don't even really make time to ride the Glide as much as I'd like to. If I was looking to get another, I'd look for a cheap tuber, better bang for your buck.

If you like it, buy it. They can't really be compared to the current crop UJM Superbikes which are badazz in their own right.

Buells are old school street hooligans in the purest sense.

(Rare? I never ran across another Buell exactly like mine, and rarely saw another on the road during 3 years of ownership)

RAUDER
11-21-2006, 08:54 PM
take a look at a triumph speed triple....very torquey. good ergos. for a sport tourer...triumph st. good value and warranty for the price. I was also at the demo rides in houston. Fell in love with the HD night rod!!!!!

KillJoy
11-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Fell in love with the HD night rod!!!!!

I did as well....but the $17,200 Sticker leaves a little to be desired...

KillJoy

not5-0
11-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Yup.....and SV650 or SV1000 is actually the next on my list!!!

I would not be getting a bike new.....depreciation on bikes suck! I am going to be looking at a bike 2-3 years old.

KillJoyI had an 03 SV1000s until I dropped it last year in North Carolina and it was a real sleeper. I looked at the Buells before I bought the SV and the price was higher and bike was of an overall lesser quality.

usafsniper
11-23-2006, 08:03 AM
take a look at a triumph speed triple....very torquey. good ergos. for a sport tourer...triumph st. good value and warranty for the price. I was also at the demo rides in houston. Fell in love with the HD night rod!!!!!

Two thumbs up on the speed triple. It was a great bike before, but the latest model with the new body and more powerful engine is awesome. You won't be dissappointed.

Eric91Z
11-23-2006, 08:46 AM

I wondered how long it would take for someone to mention the Triumphs. I had an '01 ST and absolutely loved. Was very comfortable for around town and the road trips we took on it.

I would love to have a Speed Triple, but it would have to be a couple years old as I personally don't like the body style of the new ones. On the other hand, I do like the new Sprint ST with it's underseat exhaust. That bike was just waiting for that.