PDA

View Full Version : Male Dispatcher

SouLRioT
06-04-2003, 07:48 AM
For those in Law Enforcement, what are your views on Male dispatchers??

engine23ccvfd
06-04-2003, 08:08 AM
I dispatched for a while before going on patrol and can tell you it greatly benefited my career. I had a much better understanding of the big picture. I think women are better call takers due to there better understanding of human emotion(in general).

As I am now out of Law Enforcement and volunteer for a fire dept I prefer a dispatcher that has fire Exp and dont care about the sex. Most of our dispatchers are emt and have very little idea what the conditions FF's find themselves in effect emotions on a scene...later

SergntMac
06-04-2003, 10:46 AM
For the last seven years, I have been a C/O in our 911/311 call centers. I have too much professional experience in this topic to offer an opinion.

My best advice to you all, is to not start this discussion. It will not end, and there will be no agreement.

prchrman
06-04-2003, 10:55 AM
^^^what he said^^^

RCSignals
06-04-2003, 11:17 AM
I don't see that it matters, as long as they are all well trained to a consistent standard

MM03MOK
06-04-2003, 11:35 AM
^^^^ What RC said ^^^^

I have a number of friends working as PD dispatchers. Gender doesn't come into the picture - and shouldn't.

Constable
06-04-2003, 12:06 PM
It's true that gender doesn't matter. The dispatchers I work with are an equal mix. I will say that our females are all content with their jobs as dispatchers. The males all want to move up the ladder and start patrol work with us.

For that reason (NOT because of gender!), the males are generally more enthusiastic about their job. They take the initiative to start look-ups and contantly check our officer's status to make sure they are safe at a scene. They also are more adaptive to the officer's personalities. Our females have a set way of doing their job and refuse to adapt to officer's styles.

I also agree with Engine23 about experience. No matter what the gender, an experienced dispatcher will be a much better candidate for a patrol position due to his/her knowledge of the radio, geography of the town, other emergency departments, and their already-established-relationship with the current patrol officers. They also have the best tool possible: communication skills. VERBAL JUDO. Again... none of it has to do with specific gender.

SouLRioT
06-04-2003, 01:56 PM
I didnt mean to cause any trouble sarge, but i thank all of you for your coments.

vaderv
06-04-2003, 06:53 PM
I dont know about everywhere else but in my city they hire just about any idiot to be a 911 dispatcher... Nepatism is rampant if ya get my meaning.

jgc61sr2002
06-04-2003, 08:28 PM
There are many Excellent male and female dispatchers. There are also some people that should not be dispatchers. It takes a special person.. In some situtations the safety of the officers at an incident is in the hands of the dispatcher. Most I have worked with very efficient.