PDA

View Full Version : '63 bel air

Peter
11-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Last year I was at a warehouse checking for a shippment of ferric oxide, when I seen an old rusted bel air, the owner of the place said I can have it for free, should I get it?
The interior is torn, the engine is rusted no windows no keys rusted body, should I restore it? Where can I get parts that ship to Canada?
Thanks
--Peter G.

Raudermaster
11-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Year One, Paddock Parts, Classic Industries, Super Car; unsure if they'll ship to Canada though, but it's a start. I would say get it, only if you have the time/storage for it. Who knows, by the time you're done you could sell it and possibly make a bit of profit off of it.

RCSignals
11-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Depends how rusted it is. Sometimes free still isn't a good price.

Motorhead350
11-20-2006, 03:44 PM
If the frame is rusted though in any spot, it's as good as totaled. Check for under the body rust before you make any decision.

Mike Poore
11-20-2006, 04:02 PM
There are three things to consider: condition, condition, condition. After that, determine what engine it originally had..some of 'em were 409's y'know, and could be a diamond in the rough. If, however, it's a 6cyl rust bucket, except for any good parts you find and can sell on ebay, it's most likely worthless. Remember, you can easily dump 50K, and more, into a restoration. My advice is, unless you have some deep rooted love of '63 Belair's, don't walk away from it, ....run. (unless it's a rare high performance treasure)

Peter
11-20-2006, 04:13 PM
There are three things to consider: condition, condition, condition. After that, determine what engine it originally had..some of 'em were 409's y'know, and could be a diamond in the rough. If, however, it's a 6cyl rust bucket, except for any good parts you find and can sell on ebay, it's most likely worthless. Remember, you can easily dump 50K, and more, into a restoration. My advice is, unless you have some deep rooted love of '63 Belair's, don't walk away from it, ....run. (unless it's a rare high performance treasure)
checked it our more, The frame is in good condition minor rust on it, odomoner shows: 288328 miles(canada didn't have the metric system at the time) Not sure wether to take it if i do my marauder will loose its place in the garage....don't know....Financialy its pretty iffy but I can do it.
The werehouse closes down soon, if anyone in the Toronto area want to see it its at Kennedy & 401 at Toronto Suference Turmenal near Delta...

Motorhead350
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
In that case I would pass until you know you can afford it. There will always be a project out there waiting for you.

Donny Carlson
11-20-2006, 09:56 PM
My advice is, unless you have some deep rooted love of '63 Belair's, don't walk away from it, ....run. (unless it's a rare high performance treasure)

Read this again. Print it out and hang it up next to your shaving mirror.

Short version: No.

Unless you have your own shop at home or work, a resto will cost you plenty, a minor resto still expensive. If this car has been sitting out doors in Canadian weather, you can bet it's swiss cheese of rust holes.

Pass on it.

LILALLEYKATT
11-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Toronto is a special market with special cars and I think you should do a complete frame off resto on it...

RCSignals
11-21-2006, 12:30 AM
checked it our more, The frame is in good condition minor rust on it, odomoner shows: 288328 miles(canada didn't have the metric system at the time) Not sure wether to take it if i do my marauder will loose its place in the garage....don't know....Financialy its pretty iffy but I can do it.
The werehouse closes down soon, if anyone in the Toronto area want to see it its at Kennedy & 401 at Toronto Suference Turmenal near Delta...

I wouldn't put my Marauder on the street for something like that.

RCSignals
11-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Toronto is a special market with special cars and I think you should do a complete frame off resto on it...

you might be thinking of Montreal, or Quebec City, or......

Peter
11-21-2006, 06:26 AM
you might be thinking of Montreal, or Quebec City, or......
True, I seen only a few muscle cars this year in Toronto and those were all at Tim Hortons...As for the bel air, I decided not to get it, to mush of an hassle to care and fend for....

jerrym3
11-21-2006, 01:01 PM
I've been driving a 1964 Galaxie with a rusted frame since 1978. (Limited driver, not a day to day car, Sunday cruises and carshows).

The car had 155,000 miles when I noticed the rust (who knows how long the rust was there?). The car now has 210,000 miles.

But, it is a convertible, so the additional X member may have saved her life.

A 62 BelAir bubble top would be a nice find.