PDA

View Full Version : Winter car

Raudermaster
11-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Hopefully! I'm going to check out a '95 Taurus SHO with 121k on the odo. It was adult owned, HAS the Yamaha 3.2l in it, Red/charcoal int., 5 spd, new tires/brakes. Only few flaws with it, has some dings, but nothing major at all, front struts/springs need replacing, and a clutch. Now, the funny part with the clutch, he said it was replaced, but it was put in by one of his friends, and he claims it's only the pressure plate and the clutch is fine. My Dad, and a few of my friends thought it was a bit odd since you might as well put in a new pressure plate with a new clutch, and he did not. No biggie though, my Dad's friend's shop would put one in with no charge for the labor. I'm pretty pysched since I've always wanted a Yamaha powered SHO. Oh yea, did I mention he only wants $750 for it? So, if all goes well, I'll be coming home with the title and be working on getting insurance put on it, and then the Marauder is going bye bye for the Winter.

RR|Suki
11-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Hopefully! I'm going to check out a '95 Taurus SHO with 121k on the odo. It was adult owned, HAS the Yamaha 3.2l in it, Red/charcoal int., 5 spd, new tires/brakes. Only few flaws with it, has some dings, but nothing major at all, front struts/springs need replacing, and a clutch. Now, the funny part with the clutch, he said it was replaced, but it was put in by one of his friends, and he claims it's only the pressure plate and the clutch is fine. My Dad, and a few of my friends thought it was a bit odd since you might as well put in a new pressure plate with a new clutch, and he did not. No biggie though, my Dad's friend's shop would put one in with no charge for the labor. I'm pretty pysched since I've always wanted a Yamaha powered SHO. Oh yea, did I mention he only wants $750 for it? So, if all goes well, I'll be coming home with the title and be working on getting insurance put on it, and then the Marauder is going bye bye for the Winter.

watch the heads, the are notorious fir self distructing

Bradley G
11-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a '92MTX W/ 144K and the spark plug wells were oil soaked.
It still ran fine.
I hear every 60K, you have to replace the cam seals.
The car has some nice long legs!

I got it from a 75 year old women, Who told me,"it will take almost anything, off the line" :lol:

Bigdogjim
11-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Helps to have a daily driver!

RCSignals
11-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I understand there was a problem with cam sprockets on some of them.
There is a fix that involves welding. An internet search should bring something up.
A clutch job should include a new disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and surfacing of the flywheel. Just replacing the the disc will either not last, or be the cause of other little afflictions with the clutch function.

99SVT
11-20-2006, 12:30 AM
The cam sprocket problem is for the newer V8 SHO's, not the V6 ones.

SergntMac
11-20-2006, 03:48 AM
I just found a winter car this past Saturday myself. Price, condition of the vehicle and and overall value being the deciding factors in doing this.

I did not want to use my MM on the street this winter, because my route to work is all inner city driving on local streets, I see one collision/crash every day.

I spent a tad more than 750 bucks, but it's still a worthwhile deal, all things considered.

VNMUS
11-20-2006, 10:38 AM
My Winter car is a 99 SVT Contour. Lots of mods but at least it's FWD. What does everyone else drive in the winter?

Raudermaster
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Well, I bought it today for $750. It's in way better shape than I had thought it would have been in. Has 147k on it, and for a clutch that is on its way out, that thing still freakin' spun them through 1st and 2nd. But, I do need a clutch, and front springs and struts. The thing is, I want OEM springs/struts, and the only place I've seen to find them at a reasonable price was at Genuine-Ford-Parts.com. Do any of you have a better resource where I can get front springs/struts for cheaper than what this site has them listed at? Each spring is $80, and each strut is $63. They're really bad, if you crank the wheel all the way to each side, you can hear the spring crack some more. That is the first thing that has to be done before I can get the new clutch in, which isn't all that bad anyway. So, if you guys know of a spot that is cheaper, I'd appreciate it.

Peter
11-20-2006, 05:42 PM
My Winter car is a 99 SVT Contour. Lots of mods but at least it's FWD. What does everyone else drive in the winter?
Soon to be '93 Grand Marquis( once I fix it) currently my Marauder:burnout:

Raudermaster
11-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Also, do any of you know of a good SHO forum? SHOTimes isn't all that helpful as I thought it would have been...

99SVT
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Here's some links

http://www.shoforum.com/
http://www.superhighoutput.com/

O's Fan Rich
11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I'm stuck driving a 2005 Lincoln LSE for the winter.:depress:

Raudermaster
11-20-2006, 09:05 PM
99SVT, thanks for the links. So, no one knows if I can get them parts cheaper elsewhere? Do you think Ray the Dealer can get them cheaper for me?

gpfarrell
11-21-2006, 07:10 AM
I thought shoclub.com might have been one, but I sold my blue '95 almost 3 years ago, so lots of that stuff is fading.

The 5-speeeds were 3.0s, the automatics were 3.2s, so your car should be a 3.0.

The cam sprockets aren't a V6 issue.

Timing belts often last for 100k, and it is not an interference motor like a honda, so if one breaks you coast of to the side of the road needing just a belt, not a new engine.

A leaking valve cover gasket on the rear bank will give you a burning oil smell in the heater.

In order for an SHO to beat anything off the line you have to beat the snot out of it. In return, it will abuse your wallet. Stick to rolling starts and it should be an affordable winter beater.

There's a guy in Pittsburgh named Dan Barbush who likely has any used SHO part you could want at ridiculously cheap prices. He occasionally sells stuff on SHO classified sites, keep your eyes open for him, he's a priceless SHO resource... Oh, and he drives a 5-speed SHO Wagon!

The 60 mph to 105 mph 3rd gear dash just might be the SHOs best event.

15" Taurus SE wheels with Blizzaks make them a siberian husky in the white stuff.

Ahhh, that was a great car.

Raudermaster
11-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, I knew it was too good to be true. That SHO was a wash....Here are some pics of the car..
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/458951/fullsize/sho-001.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/458952/fullsize/sho-002.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/458953/fullsize/sho-003.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/458954/fullsize/sho-004.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/458955/fullsize/sho-005.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/458956/fullsize/sho-006.jpg

Well, for $750, I had a feeling it needed a few more things other than a clutch and a couple springs....Here's what it needs just to get a sticker, and to be safe (all the prices include labor:
full clutch kit=$1,285
front/rear swaybar's and bushing's=$771
front pads/rotors=$376
power steering pump=$645
alt belt and water pump to power steering belt=$182
battery and new battery support bar=$170
4 new "low priced" tires=$427
rear pads/rotors=$346
GRAND TOTAL=$4,202!!!

So, can you see why I'm a bit pissed? And, clearly the guy "didn't" know about these problems, even though it just sat in his driveway for about 7 months, since he didn't want to do all that work is what I'm assuming. I mean, it's not like I paid an outrageous amount for the car, it's just the priniciple of why he had to lie to me and my father's face. So, my Dad is pissed because I got ripped off, and he won't accept the car back and exchange me my money for it, so it looks like we're going to court over this matter. We want to try to get him for the tow (about 40 miles, and a 30 minute inspection of what it needs) which came to be about $280. Just shy of $1k. I mean, a part of me wants to say screw it, keep the car and have it be a long term project, and another part wants my money back. I'm kind of hoping in court, he will be forced to pay me the money (thanks to the judge), and possibly have him say screw it, keep the car as well since it's worth more than the blue book. So, we will see come this week what happens.

Black 04
11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
My daily driver 95 Civic

SamF
11-23-2006, 05:50 AM
I dunno...750 is pretty cheep. You can do alot of that work for much less than quoted..brakes, belts battery, etc. These are wear items anyway and are always a possible cost when buying used. Still doesnt seem like a bad deal, he told you it needed a clutch so you cant really count that.

Do what you think is right but "Buyer Beware" would most likely prevail here, best bet is to resell it or keep it. Court doesnt seem worth it. I would just git er done and start driving...but that's just me.

Have a great holiday :beer: and be safe!

Raudermaster
11-23-2006, 08:23 AM
I hear ya, I was planning on doing the simple things myself, but either way it would have cost me a bit.

Blackened300a
11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
My winter car is a 96 Saab 900se.
It needs a Crank position sensor, and a fuel pump line.
I got it for free, its in great shape and the book value is $4500 so I may turn this over if it gives me a hard time

Raudermaster
11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
:pimp: Is it turbo?

GreekGod
11-23-2006, 06:31 PM
You get the car inspected before you buy it, not after! He should have sold it "as is", to cover his ass (did he not?). Court isn't worth the trouble. You need to face the music, bite the bullit, caulk it up to experience...et cetera.

You should have known those SHO's are throwaway cars. The replacement parts are big bucks.

jgc61sr2002
11-23-2006, 07:35 PM
You don't get too much for $750. The body looks in good shape.
With more than 100 K on the odometer the repairs you quote are routine.
That's apprantly why the owner sold it. I would think in his opinion the repairs were more than the value of the car.
If you decide to keep it do the repairs with after market parts to keep the cost down.
Good luck.
Just my 2 cents.

Raudermaster
11-23-2006, 08:08 PM
The term "as is" doesn't apply for MA anymore. We have some funky law that applies 10 days or something after you get the car registered. I can't remember, the local PD explained it to me and my Dad. I mean, I still want to keep the car, I have no clue where this is going to end up.

LILALLEYKATT
11-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Well I think the next time you buy a cheap used car you will have your mechanic check it out...This knowledge comes at a price....I am sorry that you didnt recieve a great car... Before you take him to court ask yourself at what price should he have sold you this SHO...$500..$250...$100...I guess with the infated prices you were given for repairs he should have paid you to buy the car...Best Regards and Good Luck

Raudermaster
11-23-2006, 08:44 PM
The only part that pissed me off, is he should have at least told me much it would have cost to get this running in "good" order, that's all. Don't just tell me it needs a clutch, a good cleaning, and a driver front spring.

quota
11-23-2006, 08:53 PM
I am daily driving my MGM LSE 2003. I feel I will have much more fun in the winter with that car than with the MM. So far, I am driving with (excellent) Michelin summer tires. Will install my winter set (with studs) in 10-15 days.
JP

Motorhead350
11-23-2006, 08:57 PM
You get the car inspected before you buy it, not after! :agree: Well now you know a little better. To be honest what did you expect for a price like that? I guess you never know. I'm about to try to get a Crown Vic for 100 bucks, but thats only for a demo derby so as long as it runs that all I care about. The guy actually told me it leaks oil so he has to carry 6 quorts on him to keep the thing running, but for a demo derby it just has to run for a few minutes at a time. Sorry didn't mean to go off topic here.

Raudermaster
11-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, it was $750, so I felt not the need to drag my mechanic down to look at the car, plus, half the crap that is wrong with it, you can't see without a lift, and the car isn't safe to drive from the guy's house to my mechanic's garage. But, why should I have had him go down? What ever happened to good 'ole honesty?

Shora
11-23-2006, 10:27 PM
But, why should I have had him go down? What ever happened to good 'ole honesty?

Wow, you are learning this lesson at 19??? Better late than never but come on.

I think we get spoiled on this form with all the help and honesty. If only the real world was full of the type of people here.

RCSignals
11-23-2006, 11:25 PM

Well, for $750, I had a feeling it needed a few more things other than a clutch and a couple springs....Here's what it needs just to get a sticker, and to be safe (all the prices include labor:
full clutch kit=$1,285
front/rear swaybar's and bushing's=$771
front pads/rotors=$376
power steering pump=$645
alt belt and water pump to power steering belt=$182
battery and new battery support bar=$170
4 new "low priced" tires=$427
rear pads/rotors=$346
GRAND TOTAL=$4,202!!!

You knew about the clutch. You knew about the front struts and springs.
What is it about the swaybars themselves that's bad?
Is your mechanic looking out for you, or rubbing his hands thinking he has a live one on the hook?

Any used car, especially a $750 one with that kind of mileage, will need items repaired or replaced. Unless you see recent receipts for work done, you can count on it.
Many of those items are just wear-consumables.

Hopefully you won't find out there is a lien on it.

OneBADLsE
11-23-2006, 11:36 PM
You would be surprised what you get for $200 ...And needed nothing but a driver :D

http://myspace-320.vo.llnwd.net/00902/02/39/902969320_l.jpg

RCSignals
11-23-2006, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised.

Nice whitewalls

duhtroll
11-24-2006, 07:45 AM
I've thought of doing a winter beater many times. It's not the cost of the car but the insurance that keeps me away from doing so. Insuring it all summer for not really driving it - not the amount, that is. That and I only drive every other week. I figure there are only about 12-15 days out of the year where it's really crappy out, and that's just over $100/year in extra car washes after driving. That plus snow tires and I might be doing the winter driving thing in a cheaper way.

duhtroll
11-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Now if I had found something like THAT for $200, maybe. I haven't been that lucky as yet. I like the "MIB" series of LTDs/GMs

You would be surprised what you get for $200 ...And needed nothing but a driver :D

http://myspace-320.vo.llnwd.net/00902/02/39/902969320_l.jpg

GreekGod
11-24-2006, 09:14 AM
"You would be surprised what you get for $200 ...And needed nothing but a driver :D"

I have $300 in my pocket, right now. You can make $100, cold, hard cash, and I'll take that Linc. off your hands. Looks like it will need a lot of work.

Blackened300a
11-24-2006, 02:49 PM
:pimp: Is it turbo?

Yes it is 2.3L Turbo

Raudermaster
11-24-2006, 05:13 PM
When I had typed all the parts it needed, I misunderstood them and my Dad clearified it for me. The ONLY things it needs to be a safe running car is: the clutch, all brakes, the driver spring, and the back two rear springs aren't seated properly, so they have to be adjusted, a battery, and that belt. It turns out that the other things that garage listed wrong with the vehicle, are actually OK, and still will be for a lot more miles. They were just trying to suck me for whatever they could. I've decided on that note and just keeping it, and me and my Dad are doing all that has to be done to it. (Except the clutch because we don't have a lift for it.)

RCSignals
11-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Sounds like a plan