PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Pilot or Brass B&lls -- Your Call

Bluerauder
11-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Lots of folks enjoyed the "Crosswind Landings" video that I posted back awhile ago. So here's another aircraft video .....

Check out the pilot and acrobatics of this SU-30 Russian plane (its a Sukhoi, canard equipped aircraft). This stuff is unbelievable in a supersonic aircraft .....

Clicky here >>>> http://www.crazyaviation.com/movies/CA_SU-30.wmv

Hotrauder
11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
This guy obviously has brass balls and in addition he has never spoken with an aerospace engineer. He is doing stuff that cannot be done. Yikes. That is really cool and good luck to his family. Dennis

MM2004
11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
How in the hell does that aircraft recover from such a loss of air to the intake(s)?

Unbelievable....

Mike.

ckadiddle
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah....I don't think the engineers covered that stuff in the manuals.

Mike
11-20-2006, 04:15 PM
That was just AMAZING!!! Nice camera work as well.

JMan
11-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Phenomenal! I suppose that's an SU29 with additional control surfaces and a total psycho behind the "stick". Haggis, was that you? :D

J

Mad1
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
http://www.electronicaviation.com/articles/Military/131

The AL-37FU engines are configured for thrust vector control, with the axisymmetric steerable thrust vector control nozzle is fixed on a circular turning unit. The steel nozzle in the experimental engines is replaced in production engines by titanium units to reduce the weight of the nozzle. The nozzle only moves in the pitch axis, and the nozzles on the two engines can deflect together or differentially to achieve the desired thrust vector for a particular maneuver.

The Su-37's astounding maneuvers included the "Super Cobra", demonstrated for the first time. In this move, the aircraft enters with a speed of 400 kmh and is pulled through to an alpha of 135 deg, then recovered to the vertical and held in place for 4-6 seconds. The nose is then allowed to fall to the horizontal position, emerging at 150kmh with no loss of height. Another used the thrust vectoring to flip the Su-37 onto it's back, and then to rotate it upright and continue in the opposite direction.

The most impressive manouver was the kulbit (somersault). With an entry speed of 350 kmh the aircraft flipped onto it's back (a full 180 deg) facing the opposite direction, inverted and practically stationary. After 'pausing', thrust vectoring completes the kulbit (a 360 deg somersault) with a nose down angle of 30 deg and an exit speed of 60 kmh.

sweetair
11-20-2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.electronicaviation.com/articles/Military/131

The AL-37FU engines are configured for thrust vector control, with the axisymmetric steerable thrust vector control nozzle is fixed on a circular turning unit. The steel nozzle in the experimental engines is replaced in production engines by titanium units to reduce the weight of the nozzle. The nozzle only moves in the pitch axis, and the nozzles on the two engines can deflect together or differentially to achieve the desired thrust vector for a particular maneuver.

The Su-37's astounding maneuvers included the "Super Cobra", demonstrated for the first time. In this move, the aircraft enters with a speed of 400 kmh and is pulled through to an alpha of 135 deg, then recovered to the vertical and held in place for 4-6 seconds. The nose is then allowed to fall to the horizontal position, emerging at 150kmh with no loss of height. Another used the thrust vectoring to flip the Su-37 onto it's back, and then to rotate it upright and continue in the opposite direction.

The most impressive manouver was the kulbit (somersault). With an entry speed of 350 kmh the aircraft flipped onto it's back (a full 180 deg) facing the opposite direction, inverted and practically stationary. After 'pausing', thrust vectoring completes the kulbit (a 360 deg somersault) with a nose down angle of 30 deg and an exit speed of 60 kmh.Yeah.......what^^^^^^said. LOL

cruzer
11-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting a pilot of a SU-29 that was demonstrating the "Cobra" manuever a few years ago----Man, they have really upgraded the equipment. Sukoi has been a world leader in flight dynamic controls for many years and seems to have mastered the thrust vectoring systems. As a pilot, I can only say "I'd almost give up my Marauder to get 10 minutes with this pilot in this aircraft " ( you noted I said ---almost :D ) Poetry in motion, Maury

Blue03
11-21-2006, 02:02 AM
I enjoyed the "Crosswinds" and now this "Crazy Russian". Thanks for posting it up!
Lets see... an axisymmetric Thrust Vectoring MM ...is it Trilogy, FIT or Vortech powered and how far behind the front wheels does one mount the canards? Must be just below the mirrors...:D
Cheers!

mpearce
11-21-2006, 03:23 AM
Good stuff Blue. I'm more of a jumbo/"heavy" jet fan though, so I liked the crosswind landings better. No doubt the maneuvers this jet pilot was doing go beyond all thats taught for proper flying. Great stuff...especially recovering from the spin. My air traffic controll instructor in oklahoma city was an F-4 pilot in Viet nam. He said the F-4's couldn't recover from spins...and if they ever got into one, they had to punch out.

-Mat

www.natca.org (http://www.natca.org)

Haggis
11-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Phenomenal! I suppose that's an SU29 with additional control surfaces and a total psycho behind the "stick". Haggis, was that you? :D

J

No that wasn't me, but sign me up to take a ride with that crazy bastige.

JMan
11-21-2006, 04:49 AM
No that wasn't me, but sign me up to take a ride with that crazy bastige.

Bro, I figured that! I'd be passed out with my stomach hanging from my mouth like a grouper pulled up from the bottom of the Gulf!

J

Mike Poore
11-21-2006, 04:52 AM
That was Awsome!
I wonder if he lost his lunch, about the same time he ran out of red smoke?
Um, Gordon & Maury? You guys can have my turn. :puke:

Bluerauder
11-21-2006, 05:37 AM
My air traffic controll instructor in oklahoma city was an F-4 pilot in Viet nam. He said the F-4's couldn't recover from spins...and if they ever got into one, they had to punch out.

-Mat

Mat, the nickname for the F-4 was "The Flying Brick". If it lost power, it had the same flight characterics as a house brick. You get the picture. :D

I got the link to this video from a friend who flew A-10s for a living ... he was amazed. I suspect that the pilot had not completed the section of flight training on "stall speeds". :rofl: The comments on thrust vectoring are all right on the money .... I also suspect that the computer was controlling most of the flight dynamics with the control surfaces.

endless
11-21-2006, 06:21 PM
The Su 27 and its later versions (like this one) are some of the most amazing airplanes ever made.

Very very nimble.