PDA

View Full Version : New Chevy SS

SouLRioT
06-04-2003, 02:00 PM
http://www.chevrolet.com/ss/ss_flash.htm has a listing of some new Super Sports coming out this fall. All pushing around 240 Hp. We can still take'em. :up: I guess they want to gain some of the market back.

MassMarauder
06-04-2003, 03:52 PM
The current Impala is a decent looking car...... But Chevy can keep the front drive....cause I don't want it.

Bigdogjim
06-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Front wheel drive..:lol:

RCSignals
06-04-2003, 11:14 PM
think maybe they're wearing out the SS moniker?

(no, that's not a boat)

01 Interceptor
06-05-2003, 01:06 AM
It's just not right to have the SS name ruined like it has by FWD v6's.

RancorKeeper
06-05-2003, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the SS badge on some of the SUV's. This month's Motor Trend has a short article on the Trailblazer, Tahoe & Silverado (regular cab) SS concepts. The Tahoe SS actually looks a little like mine, just a few years newer and with more hp.

Reaper948
06-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Sorry, the cars just too uncharismatic for me

chapel1
06-06-2003, 05:22 PM
Yeah but Chevy Knows how to advertise thier cars and they will.I have already seen a "SS" Impala commercial on "TV"and the sound track kicked!

Marauder57
06-06-2003, 07:35 PM
I like the idea of the SS. But Impala with front wheel drive is a travesty considering the kick arse 1996 one.....The Tahoe and stuff in the magazine looked pretty cool....

SouLRioT
06-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by chapel1
Yeah but Chevy Knows how to advertise thier cars and they will.I have already seen a "SS" Impala commercial on "TV"and the sound track kicked!
Thats what prompted me to look for it on the web, also a friend of mine changed his badging and grill on his Tahoe to SS one's, everyone seems to like it.

Bigdogjim
06-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Well after all is said and done. More will be said than done. FRD??

JET
06-07-2003, 04:09 PM
chevy seems to be just be badging everthing with SS but not taking anytime to do anything to really improve the performance. say what you about ford at least when they do an SVT they actually put some work into it.

lyonsd
06-09-2003, 05:13 AM
It's still wrong wheel drive.

ghost
06-09-2003, 09:09 AM
The "new" Impala SS is embarassing. No car with SS should be FWD.

I hate to say it, since I'm a GM man, but these past few years Ford rules the roost in performance car offerings. GM only has the Corvette now.

Eric

Fourth Horseman
06-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ghost
The "new" Impala SS is embarassing. No car with SS should be FWD.

I hate to say it, since I'm a GM man, but these past few years Ford rules the roost in performance car offerings. GM only has the Corvette now.

Eric

I'm still holding out hope that we'll see things turn around at GM in the next 5 years or so. There are a lot of rumors flying around, maybe some of them are true. :D

Marauder57
06-09-2003, 10:35 AM
I keep hearing from my SS buddy that GM wants back in the Cop Car game.....and will be doing a RWD sedan again....not sure if it will be as big as the Impala was....rumors I have heard is Monte Carlo Impala frame widened out.....

We will see.....Heck I like any sedan RWD with some HP under the hood......

jeSSe96
06-09-2003, 11:00 AM
front wheel drive SS wtf?

SUV SS wtf??

GM

Edited by Logan: Inappropriate Content Removed.

RCSignals
06-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Marauder57
I keep hearing from my SS buddy that GM wants back in the Cop Car game.....and will be doing a RWD sedan again....not sure if it will be as big as the Impala was....rumors I have heard is Monte Carlo Impala frame widened out.....

We will see.....Heck I like any sedan RWD with some HP under the hood......

Those rumours have been around since Chev ended the Caprice line.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a body on frame passenger car from GM anytime soon, and as long as people are making a fuss about fires in Police vehicles after very high speed collision, no company is going to be rushing into the Police car market,

RancorKeeper
06-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
and as long as people are making a fuss about fires in Police vehicles after very high speed collision, no company is going to be rushing into the Police car market,
Yeah, no kidding, and we can thank the media for that. If they had made such a stink with the C/K truck fires as they have with the Panthers, GM wouldn't be around today. It's amazing the power journalists & editors wield just by choosing which stories to cover and which to ignore or gloss over. That being said, I honestly hope Ford does make some headway on this issue because safety is something the automakers should always be trying to improve - people just need to be realistic about it.

Marauder57
06-09-2003, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath on a body on frame passenger car from GM anytime soon, and as long as people are making a fuss about fires in Police vehicles after very high speed collision, no company is going to be rushing into the Police car market,

I hear what you are saying but this SS buddies brother works at GM and has for 20 years....so it is not entirely unfounded....but probable who knows....

As for the CV problems...does the MM have the exact same risks? Or was this changed in our cars? I mean are we driving a freakin Pinto?

jgc61sr2002
06-09-2003, 07:15 PM
57 - The only CVPI accidents the are publized are ones where a fatality is involved. The panther platform is by far the strongest and safest car on the road today. IMHO.

TripleTransAm
06-09-2003, 07:16 PM

As for the CV problems...does the MM have the exact same risks? Or was this changed in our cars? I mean are we driving a freakin Pinto?

We discussed this to infinity and back on another hot thread (or two). The jist of it is that cops carry a lot of equipment that can pierce a tank through the trunk floor, especially when whalloped from behind by some large and travelling very fast.

The other conclusion (or supposition, depending on your outlook) is that with a collision at the speeds being discussed, a car fire is the least of your worries, as you would most likely be too busy picking pieces of your internal organs off the floor through the sheer force of the impact. In other words, if you survived the impact, chances are there won't be a car fire.

BlackHole
06-09-2003, 08:21 PM
Or was this changed in our cars? I mean are we driving a freakin Pinto?

How can you even compare the 2 I mean at least I can get 4 large suitcases and a carry on in the trunk and can give 4 others lots of room.:cool:

Ross
06-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Not only is the Chevy Impala SS a wrong wheel drive car, it is a totally inaccurate use of the coveted Impala name. I remember the great SS Impalas from the 1960's (yes, I'm that old). They were full size beasts, like our MM's. These little, dinky so-called Impalas might have SS labels on them, but to an old timer like me, they are neither SS nor Impalas. That's why I now own my first FoMoCo product.

Marauder57
06-10-2003, 11:12 AM
How can you even compare the 2 I mean at least I can get 4 large suitcases and a carry on in the trunk and can give 4 others lots of room.

I don't know that Pinto is looking pretty sweet....I bet you could fit 2 bags of groceries and a Chichua in the back of that....now if you bought meat and vegetables at the store...when you got hit in the rear you could have a BBQ.... :D

These little, dinky so-called Impalas might have SS labels on them, but to an old timer like me, they are neither SS nor Impalas. That's why I now own my first FoMoCo product.

CAN I GET A FREAKIN AMEN!!!!!! :banana:

MAD-3R
06-10-2003, 11:17 AM
AMEN!!!!

RF Overlord
06-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Ross
These little, dinky so-called Impalas might have SS labels on them, but to an old timer like me, they are neither SS nor Impalas.

CAN I GET A FREAKIN AMEN!!!!!!

AMEN, BROTHERS!

Long Live #3
06-11-2003, 07:38 AM
I love the Silverado SS. I'd buy that over any "Monte Carlo SS."