PDA

View Full Version : Any guitar players?

Eric91Z
11-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, I have always appreciated good guitar music and have always wanted to learn to play. A couple of years ago I bought a new electric guitar and I have my mom's older acoustic guitar.

Well, with a pending divorce, I want to start making plans for that to be one of the things I can finally do with my free time I will have once I am single again.

So, I was wondering how many of you are self-taught guitar players? And what did you use to learn? Books, video, computer learning, etc? Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks,

Marauderoz
11-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I've been playing guitar off and on for 38 years.

After 15 years of playing, I took my first lesson.

This was the biggest mistake anyone can make. Half of my first 15 years of work were wasted on bad habits.

Please, please, please take private or group lessons and start on the best guitar possible.

Krytin
11-24-2006, 10:38 AM
What he ^^^said!
Take lessons from someone who can teach new adult players and that you feel comfortable with. Learn to read music and some basic music theory. Bad habits are twice the work - unlearn the wrong way & then learn the right way. Save yourself the trouble and learn it right the first time!

3rdcoastmrauder
11-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Ditto! +1

SID210SA
11-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I have two classical guitars dont know how to play yet...

Eric91Z
11-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the input. I do understand how to read music after playing piano and sax through elementary and high school. Just wasn't sure if it was something I could do on my own.

Guess I will need to start looking around for a quality teacher when I move down closer to work.

Motorhead350
11-24-2006, 01:05 PM
I took lessions for a while and my biggest problem was trying to do two things at once. When I was looking at my right hand I wouldn't hit the right strings when I hit the right strings I was holding down the wrong ones. I would say start with something very simple like 3 chords simple. My first song was When I Come Around by Green Day. The only thing that kept throwing me off was the palm muting. Another I leared around the same time was all the small things by blink 182.... I HATE them now, but it's still a simple song. Just a 1-2-3-4 on the strings. I don't reccomend you try anything by Van Halen for a starter, but rythem to AC/DC is quite easy if your into that stuff.

I like very simple and basic stuff to this day just because it's the type of music I dig. The biggest challenge I ever face is trying to learn a solo by Chuck Berry which is basically just bending the G string. Before you know it you'll be figuring out songs by ear. Thats about the only way I go anymore. I've only had to look up a song every few months because I couldn't get it. Last week I had to look up Rumble by Link Wray because I'm not good at lead guitar, but it was a very simple riff to learn. Hope I helped and what type of guitar is it?

dwasson
11-24-2006, 01:50 PM
I learned more in 10 weeks of private lessons than I learned in 15 years of trying to learn from books. Take the lessons.

JMan
11-25-2006, 04:53 AM
Eric, here's my take-
Lessons in the beginning are great, as long as they are pertinant to what you want to play. They will help you to get started the right way and formulate proper habits as mentioned above. Learning how to play Mary had a little lamb is not going to help your mental status at all. I've played for thirty years and I still play every day. That's because I play what I want to. There will be times when you get frustrated and put the guitar down for weeks. Don't let that disuade you. When you do pick it up again, it will be like sex!

There are lots of teachers out there. Find one that'll teach you what you want to learn. That will make a huge difference in your approach to practice! Bottom line is just do it. I've done alot of informal training. Here's the rules-

Rules of guitar playing:

1. Never touch any electrical instrument while standing in water!

2. Outside of rule number 1, there are no rules - If it sounds good, play it!

J

96DiamondVIII
11-27-2006, 09:55 AM
I'll join in recommending lessons. Find a good teacher, ask around people you know, ask at music shops in the area (lots of them have multiple people who do lessons in-house) and find someone you like that will help with your desired style of music.

Also, I would advise that you start primarily on acoustic, and use that for your lessons. Because of the heavier strings, it will help strengthen your fingers, and moving to the electric will be easy, not the other way around.

x2 on what kind of guitar? I have a '97 G & L Legacy Standard electric with a Peavey Classic 30 amp, and a '94 Yamaha FG-300A acoustic.

Breadfan
11-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I recommend a few lessons to get you started. Learn the basics of how to hold the guitar, manipulate the strings, harmonics, bends, etc. Try to learn some techniques for how to make the various sounds, palm mutes, slides, etc.

Once you get the basics you can go on your own. Like others said you don't want to start out doing things wrong, it's hard to break a bad habit.

At the same time I'm a very independant person. I never took lessons but do recommend them for a start. But only to a point, I feel too many lessons and you are just learning to play the way someone else likes to play.

Learn the basics and develop your own unique style.

You might want to try something like a Line6 GuitarPort. I love mine! It's a great starter tool too. I can plug it into my laptop with headphones and it's got all the amp models, effects, etc. Plus for a subscription of $10/month you can download automatic tone settings to mimic your favorite guitarist. For about $80 it's a wonderful tool that can fill in for hundreds of dollars of equipment as you get started.

Even seasoned players love 'em, I don't have to plug any equipment in or turn on my amp, I just start the app on my computer, plug in, and go. Plus you can play along with songs and it will slow them down and even sample solos so you can learn stuff like that.

http://www.line6.com/products/computerBased/
http://www.line6.com/guitarport/

dwasson
11-27-2006, 05:08 PM
I can second the recommendation for the Line 6 Guitarport. It is great device that lets you play while not disturbing your wife in the next room. If you are buying an electric, think about Fender Telecaster. It's an honest guitar and doesn't get you mixed up in gadgets.

Eric91Z
11-27-2006, 06:40 PM
I bought my guitar through the Guitar Warehouse as one of their Christmas specials a few years ago. It is a Fender Telecaster with small amp/speaker. I think it is a decent guitar for what I paid. I couldn't justify spending more, especially since I still have learned how to play it.

I really do appreciate all the input and once I get moved I will start looking around for lessons. My mom has a friend that has been a long time name in the Jazz community around here. Maybe get in touch with her and see what she has to say.

dreydin
11-28-2006, 01:04 PM
classical guitars are <3

Motorhead350
11-28-2006, 09:47 PM
I've been enjoying my 1967 Gibson Flying V reproduction lately. Sounds good when your playing along to surf music. :cool:

Mike Poore
12-01-2006, 01:33 PM
I've been enjoying my 1967 Gibson Flying V reproduction lately. Sounds good when your playing along to surf music. :cool:
I've still got my Gibson LGO, a mid 60's acoustic. Nice little instrument, haven't played it in 20 years.