PDA

View Full Version : winter car 1995 Lincoln Cont

de minimus
11-26-2006, 11:22 AM
i'm looking for a car for the winter - anyone have any experience with the 1995 Lincoln Continental? I know it's FWD, but it's got a great ride and decent power.
here's the one that I'm looking at clicky (http://listings.boostmotorgroup.com/Details.aspx?InventoryID=82322&DealershipID=149&PageSize=20&ParentCompanyID=0&DealerGroupID=0&MediaID=35&onSpecial=0&Wholesale=0&Demo=0&lng=ENG&isLogo=0&CustomLogo=0&RowNumber=5)
thanks for your feedback
Tim

Eric91Z
11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't have any first hand experience with them, but I have thought about one for a daily driver too (Among the many other cars I have thought of). I think they can be a good car that will run for a lot of miles, with a few potential issues. I think some of the electronics and the air suspension can be an issue, but that is about it. And I think they are a good looking car on the outside and nice on the inside.

jim geary
11-26-2006, 12:00 PM
i'm looking for a car for the winter - anyone have any experience with the 1995 Lincoln Continental? I know it's FWD, but it's got a great ride and decent power.
here's the one that I'm looking at clicky (http://listings.boostmotorgroup.com/Details.aspx?InventoryID=82322&DealershipID=149&PageSize=20&ParentCompanyID=0&DealerGroupID=0&MediaID=35&onSpecial=0&Wholesale=0&Demo=0&lng=ENG&isLogo=0&CustomLogo=0&RowNumber=5)
thanks for your feedback
Tim
Looks nice Tim. How's she run?

Blue03
11-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Looks like a good car. Not a lot of miles for a 95. Price looks at least $1k to $2k high though.
I was looking at my 95 GM LD HPP and a 96 Continental at the same time. Both dark blue of course. The 96 had about 24k miles and was priced alot higher and the GM with 43K. I went cheap but wonder sometimes.
Good luck and happy hunting

de minimus
11-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Rides very well; little bit of torque steer given it's FWD. the dealer will have to come down on the price about $1-1,500 for me though. Thanks

Marauderjack
11-26-2006, 03:20 PM
I had and several friends have had Continentals.....I'D RUN AWAY FROM ANY OF THEM MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD!!:eek:

The air suspension system is unique to them and the damn air shocks are about $800.00 each!! Mine started squatting and only did it periodically....but I got rid of that sucker before it cost me BIG!!! Same thing happened to a '92 Mark VIII!!!:mad2:

Other than the suspension stuff they are pretty nice cars!!:beer:

My $0.02.....:bandit:

Marauderjack:burnout:

LILALLEYKATT
11-26-2006, 03:46 PM
[quote=Marauderjack;446926]I had and several friends have had Continentals.....I'D RUN AWAY FROM ANY OF THEM MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD!!:eek:

I would have to agree with marauderjack...$7995 is 3K above top dollar. The trans mounts & axles and transmissions are junk...I just bought a 1993 Jeep grand Cherokee 4x4 for peanuts...They are a dime a dozen and the 4.0 6 cylinders last forever...

Vortex
11-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Better off spending 3-4k on a 2-3 year old Taurus with low miles IMHO. Same car only easier to park and lots cheaper.

MERCMAN
11-26-2006, 05:11 PM
I have a '94. Same color 80K, V-6. Good car in snow. If it has the digital dash, I would steer clear of it, VERY expensive to replace. Moon roof motors are tough to find, suspension is great, but have the air bags checked out by someone other than Ford. The paint started flying off of it last summer, and it was always well maintained. As others have said, it is overpriced IMHO

Larry Durham
11-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I own a 95 Conti. is my daily driver and I think is one of the best cars I've ever had. I am an on the road rep. and I only buy program cars with low mialige and also owened 2 other Lincolns.I was a salesman for a a linclon dealer when the 95 came out. Im bought a 95 program in 96 with 15k miles and now have 200k on it. The only problem I've had is with the front right air suspension dry rotting at 130k miles due to all the salt on NE roads. I had the front air suspension replaced at a dealer cost of $1400. which was twice the cost if I did it myself. The only other thing I had go wrong was a skip in the engine at 180k which the dealer said was a catostrofic engine failure, wanted 3k-5k to fix it. I took it to a local shop and had a valve spring replaced for $300. It is the best car I've ever owned and I don't think too many of those imports can beat that.
Best car I've owned. If the car is in good shape go for it.

VNMUS
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
My buddy just retired his winter beater (a 96 Lincoln Towncar) as the frame was rusted out.

96DiamondVIII
11-27-2006, 12:11 AM
My previous car to the MM was a '96 Mark VIII, which shares a lot with the Conti despite being a different platform (FN10, RWD). The motor is the same, DOHC 32v 4.6, if I'm not mistaken an older version of the engine used in the Marauder... the only serious problem I'd say to be on the lookout for is the air suspension, the parts are expensive if it goes (front air springs for the VIII were $500 each) but the labor can be done by the average home mechanic. If the interior is anything like the VIII's, it's a nice place to spend time as well. You might want to check out one of the Lincoln forums and see what Conti owners there have to tell you also (I'd suggest http://www.lincolnsonline.com (http://www.lincolnsonline.com/) in this case).

I know there are significant differences, but FWIW, I loved my Mark VIII. The only reason I didn't buy another is I wanted something newer with lower mileage. A Continental does seem like a logical winter ride for an MM owner, but if that one doesn't pan out and you don't *need* 4 doors, I'd say take a look at a Mark VIII instead. I'll probably own another someday.

ADE 1000
11-27-2006, 07:57 AM
The Continental gets a bum rap because of the ‘80s and early ‘90s models. What most people fail to realize is that the newer ones are actually quite reliable. The bad reputation gives the Continental horrible resale value, resulting in one of the best buys on the used car market.

A few months ago I purchased a ’98 Continental as a winter car. It has 67K miles on it and I paid a little over $5K for it from a private seller. I would stay away from a ’95, it was the first year of that design. I would strongly recommend a ’98 or newer model. They look a lot nicer and have a lot simpler air suspension system (rear only) than the ’95-’97 models. My parents also had a ’98 previously and it was very reliable. The only potential weak link in these cars is the transaxle, which is the same crappy AX4N that is used in the Taurus. In any case, they seem to last past 100K miles if taken care of.

So far, mine has been outstanding. It is very comfortable and powerful enough for the daily commute. I was planning on dumping it in the spring, but I like it so much I might hang on to it.