PDA

View Full Version : SRT's not selling?

Vortex
11-28-2006, 09:41 PM
No statistics but I was at Dallas Dodge today getting a hitch put on my truck and noticed a bunch of SRT cars sitting around. Most had registrations from June/July so they've been on the lot a while. There was a SRT Charger SuperBee with a sticker of 46k!

Motorhead350
11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
I almost had my dad sold on a Jeep until he found out it was like 700 a month, when he could buy a BMW with more eye candy for the same amount or less.

RR|Suki
11-28-2006, 09:47 PM
....no comment

on to the SRTs, yeah I dunno what the deal is there is a SRT-10 Ram on sale for 36K round here

Motorhead350
11-28-2006, 09:52 PM
I like some, but that SRT Ram 4 door is the most stupid thing ever produced. It has 500 hp and runs a 1/4 in 15.1. 15.1!

RR|Suki
11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
the extra doors cost it 2 seconds?? where did you get those times?

Gre8one7
11-28-2006, 10:22 PM
dragtimes.com has the quad cab at 14.2's

Motorhead350
11-29-2006, 12:21 AM
I saw it in Motor Trend or something. It said 15.1 and the only tranny you can get is an auto. I believe 14s too though. It all depends on the driver, but still for 500hp thats pretty frickin' slow.

Motorhead350
11-29-2006, 12:24 AM
....no comment

Say what you want dude. I thought the Jeep SRT8 was a way better buy than a 2006 BMW X5 with a V8. Not the top of the line stick shift, but the one below that. Plus I like rare stuff so I'm all against another X5. I know it's a hard life.

AstroVic
11-29-2006, 05:29 AM
No statistics but I was at Dallas Dodge today getting a hitch put on my truck and noticed a bunch of SRT cars sitting around. Most had registrations from June/July so they've been on the lot a while. There was a SRT Charger SuperBee with a sticker of 46k!

Were these used cars?

New cars in Texas are not registered (and therefore no registration sticker is issued) until someone buys the car. Sometimes, but not always, the dealer will do the inspection (and attach the inspection sticker to the windshield) prior to the sale.

bryanthomas
11-29-2006, 05:33 AM
I"m curious about this subject also. I see a lot of them on the lots, but not many on the streets. :confused:

Raudermaster
11-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Doesn't surprise me, they're way too overpriced, and for what, and engine? Seriously, what other options does it have, besides a few appearance alters that mark it over $40k? Don't the SRT's have that stupid MDS crap too? Who the hell wants a performance vehicle that shuts off a few of its cylinders to "save you gas?" Isn't the point of a performance car is to have fun and waste a bit of gas at times? I mean, I'm not going to sit here and tell you I get the fuel economy of a Prius, but I can whoop their ass's any day of the week, and still get decent gas mileage. If you think that's sad, a guy at work had TWO '03 Cobra's, each making about 540rwhp, sold one for an '04 Lightning that was pushing about 525rwhp, crashed the other Cobra, sold the Lightning for an SRT-10 Ram(bastid), traded that in because he said it was just too much power for the truck, not to mention with the 6spd he said, it makes you want to rip through every gear and burn all the gas, and after he traded that in, he got an SRT-8 Cherokee, and now he's "happier than ever." Somehow, an AWD 6.1l doesn't sound appealing to me. He's a complete idiot on top of it all, I said you should have kept the L and one Cobra, and be done with it. And now he's talking about the new Camaro already.

GA-Marauder
11-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Don't the SRT's have that stupid MDS crap too? Who the hell wants a performance vehicle that shuts off a few of its cylinders to "save you gas?" Isn't the point of a performance car is to have fun and waste a bit of gas at times? I mean, I'm not going to sit here and tell you I get the fuel economy of a Prius, but I can whoop their ass's any day of the week, and still get decent gas mileage. .

Don't think the SRT8 has the MDS, heard/read it hear I think...:)

SlkMerc
11-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Something is amiss if the popular Dodge's arent selling well. My family have been FoMoCo favored for decades and I myself have driven only Merc's Lincolns and Fords as well.

My Dad bought a Dodge truck w/ the Hemi and loves it.........for TOWING. He has an amazing 50 Merc with a BB Ford that's his daily driver. A 56 F-100 with a 5.4 in it and all AirRide suspension and a 46 Sedan with the same DOHC 4.6 as our cars. Dodge's fall apart way too soon. Long Live the Oval baby!

AstroVic
11-29-2006, 04:34 PM
...a guy at work had TWO '03 Cobra's, each making about 540rwhp, sold one for an '04 Lightning that was pushing about 525rwhp, crashed the other Cobra, sold the Lightning for an SRT-10 Ram(bastid), traded that in because he said it was just too much power for the truck, not to mention with the 6spd he said, it makes you want to rip through every gear and burn all the gas, and after he traded that in, he got an SRT-8 Cherokee, and now he's "happier than ever." Somehow, an AWD 6.1l doesn't sound appealing to me. He's a complete idiot on top of it all, I said you should have kept the L and one Cobra, and be done with it. And now he's talking about the new Camaro already.

I'd love to be the salesman on these "trades." What an idiot!

For what he's certainly lost on each "deal" he could've bought one of those vehicles in cash.

Bill Lalk
11-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I'd love to be the salesman on these "trades." What an idiot!

For what he's certainly lost on each "deal" he could've bought one of those vehicles in cash.

I was thinking the same thing. What does this dude do for a living that he can afford to keep swapping out these expensive cars? I am up to my eyeballs with my $400 a mth MM payment.:eek:

bugsys03
11-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Doesn't surprise me, they're way too overpriced, and for what, and engine? Seriously, what other options does it have, besides a few appearance alters that mark it over $40k? Don't the SRT's have that stupid MDS crap too? Who the hell wants a performance vehicle that shuts off a few of its cylinders to "save you gas?" Isn't the point of a performance car is to have fun and waste a bit of gas at times? I mean, I'm not going to sit here and tell you I get the fuel economy of a Prius, but I can whoop their ass's any day of the week, and still get decent gas mileage.

You can tell that used Marauders are getting pretty cheap when somoeone this clueless can afford one. Obviously you have never even seen one up close and personal. Go find yourself a Prius to beat up on moron:stupid:

Redster
11-29-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm sure that it is faster than a stock MM, but personally I don't care for the looks. I would rather have that engine/trans/suspension in a plain Jane Charger.
I do plan to buy an Escape Hybrid. I find the technology interesting.

96DiamondVIII
11-29-2006, 06:34 PM
As has been said, the SRT models don't have MDS. I certainly don't see many of them around though, that is something of a good point. As to what you get beyond the "standard" Hemi models...having driven a 300C SRT-8--you get nice seats, at the very least. :)

Mach1
11-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Dodge/Jeep SRT vehicles are great. But like many domestic performance vehicles (other than the Mustang) they don't seem to sell very well. I think part of the problem is the automotive press in this country. No matter what the big three come out with, and how good the performance is, they always seem to wind up ripping on them. There is a brief flurry of press coverage, and then they are forgotten.

For some reason, in the car magazines I read, its perfectly ok for Toyota to spruce up a Camry and call it a lexus, Honda rebadging an Accord as an Acura. But when Ford rebadges the Fusion as a Lincoln or Mercury, they act like its a ripoff. :bandit:

bryanthomas
11-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Something is amiss if the popular Dodge's arent selling well. My family have been FoMoCo favored for decades and I myself have driven only Merc's Lincolns and Fords as well.

My Dad bought a Dodge truck w/ the Hemi and loves it.........for TOWING. He has an amazing 50 Merc with a BB Ford that's his daily driver. A 56 F-100 with a 5.4 in it and all AirRide suspension and a 46 Sedan with the same DOHC 4.6 as our cars. Dodge's fall apart way too soon. Long Live the Oval baby!

I would love to see your dad's rides! Sound like a pretty cool collection! :D

Also, Mach1 do you have any more pics of the Mustang in your pics? (I'm assuming it's yours) It looks great!

Vortex
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Were these used cars?

New cars in Texas are not registered (and therefore no registration sticker is issued) until someone buys the car. Sometimes, but not always, the dealer will do the inspection (and attach the inspection sticker to the windshield) prior to the sale.

You are right, they were inspection stickers. That still means theyve been on the lot 6 months.

Raudermaster
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
You can tell that used Marauders are getting pretty cheap when somoeone this clueless can afford one. Obviously you have never even seen one up close and personal. Go find yourself a Prius to beat up on moron:stupid:
I have driven two SRT-8 300C's, one is my friend's father's, and another at a dealer. I've also been in an SRT-8 Cherokee. Before you act all big and bad since you have 6.1l written on your manifold, I'm not saying that the SRT's suck, I just can't see justifying paying that much money for some appearance mods, and a bigger engine. :fishslap:

RCSignals
11-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Dodge/Jeep SRT vehicles are great. But like many domestic performance vehicles (other than the Mustang) they don't seem to sell very well. I think part of the problem is the automotive press in this country. No matter what the big three come out with, and how good the performance is, they always seem to wind up ripping on them. There is a brief flurry of press coverage, and then they are forgotten.

For some reason, in the car magazines I read, its perfectly ok for Toyota to spruce up a Camry and call it a lexus, Honda rebadging an Accord as an Acura. But when Ford rebadges the Fusion as a Lincoln or Mercury, they act like its a ripoff. :bandit:

Very true. Applies to any domestic 'performance' vehicle really, that isn't a traditional one, Mustang, 'Vette, Viper, etc.

It also doesn't matter for instance that, for example, our MM are classsed as ULEV whereas some of the Hondas that get hyped are only classed as LEV.

All the upcoming stuff about 'Global warming' and the EPA isn't going to aid the future of domestic performance engines either.

RCSignals
11-29-2006, 09:51 PM

yeah yeah, the 100 year old beats up on the 19 year old :eek:

Shora
11-29-2006, 10:24 PM
I just can't see justifying paying that much money for some appearance mods, and a bigger engine.

Then maybe you should have bought a Mercury GM instead of a Mercury Marauder. After all, a Marauder is more money for "some appearance monds, and a bigger (more powerful) engine.

Leadfoot281
11-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I seen one of them SRT8 Cherokees last month. In a word, Yuck. Other than the exhast sound, I didn't like anything about it.

Maybe these things aren't selling because 20" rims with 35 series rubber look silly on a Jeep. It's a like a 20 minute psychedelic drum solo in the middle of a country song, just plain weird.

It was also far too low to the ground to install a set of those Yosemite Sam mud flaps I like so much. Y'know, the ones that read "Back off!". An it's got a pitcher of Yosemite Sam holding a pair of six shooters! LOL! Them there things rule!

At least I had enough sofistication and class and inteigense to buy a marader I think one of my butlers drives a prious, when im done eating up my caviar i'll go beet him up one his way home from my super sofisticated mansion wear he works. commoneers like my stopid butler don't get the understand the excosivity of the marader. i'll show him whut reel class is al 'bout!

Raudermaster
11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Then maybe you should have bought a Mercury GM instead of a Mercury Marauder. After all, a Marauder is more money for "some appearance monds, and a bigger (more powerful) engine.

Ouch!:cry: I thought we were on the same side? And to answer your question, I paid dirt cheap for my MM, and has been something I've wanted since I saw one on a lot here in my town back in '03. I WAS going to consider a newer CV/GM, but why should I buy one of those, when I can give a bit more $$ and have something so much better. Like that guy at work, I HATE people like him. He really has no preference for car brands, just as long as he has one of fastest vehicles on the road and it looks good. Me, I'm loyal to my brand of choice, which happens to be the Ford/L/M family. Kind of like switching from an MM to a 300C/Charger.

2003 MIB
11-30-2006, 11:13 AM
a guy at work had TWO '03 Cobra's, each making about 540rwhp, sold one for an '04 Lightning that was pushing about 525rwhp, crashed the other Cobra, sold the Lightning for an SRT-10 Ram(bastid), traded that in because he said it was just too much power for the truck, not to mention with the 6spd he said, it makes you want to rip through every gear and burn all the gas, and after he traded that in, he got an SRT-8 Cherokee, and now he's "happier than ever."

Ya know, if these were Marauders instead of Cobras and the SRT-10 Ram was a Trilogy Harley...We'd be talking about LOGAN!!!

Bradley G
11-30-2006, 12:18 PM
I was working at a Dodge dealer for two months, other than the occasional curiosity question, the only SRT-8 to move off the lot, was one that was stolen.
The SRT series, is not just rebadged and a bigger more powerful engine than its equivelent.
That is the same comparison as the Marauder vs. a Marquis.
Same issue Ford had , moving a high performance four door.

vkirkend
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
I have been looking at a Dodge Ram SRT-10 as a "second" fun vehicle. They seem to be having trouble selling these trucks. New they are around $52,000. I have seen 2005's with low mileage for around $35,000. I'll be looking for a used one. I like the idea of having 500 hp and a warranty to go with it....

Raudermaster
11-30-2006, 01:12 PM
I have been looking at a Dodge Ram SRT-10 as a "second" fun vehicle. They seem to be having trouble selling these trucks. New they are around $52,000. I have seen 2005's with low mileage for around $35,000. I'll be looking for a used one. I like the idea of having 500 hp and a warranty to go with it....

Hope you don't drop that tranny!:rofl:

RCSignals
11-30-2006, 02:50 PM

Except, like the SRTs, the Marauder is a little more than a few 'appearance mods, and a bigger (more powerful) engine'.

Marauder2005
11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Those SRT8 Chargers are HOT. I went to go look at a black one here

in MA. Out of my budget, esp. with the $2,500 gas guzzler tax! :eek:

mrjones
11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I think it's funny that this thread started with a beating on the SRT's for setting around unsold on the dealer's lots for 6 months! Then it went on to how the SRT's are overpriced for the equipment. Does any of this sound familiar? Everyone complained that the MM was $5K too high on the sticker for what you got. I bought mine after it sat on the dealer's lot for 18 months, for $12K off the sticker price.

I wouldn't ever dream that this would happen with the Marauder, but you heard these same stories about the Charger Daytonas 25 years ago. I sure with my car would go up in value that much!!!

Shora
12-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Except, like the SRTs, the Marauder is a little more than a few 'appearance mods, and a bigger (more powerful) engine'.

Marauders don't have that many upgrades over a GM HPP. Better engine/ suspension and apprearance mods.

Same as comparing a 300c, 300c Hemi, and SRT-8.

If he "doesn't want to pay more for apprearance mods and a bigger (more powerful) engine" then he could have saved serious $$ buying a GM HPP.

He didn't save the money and bought the top of the line Mercury Panther which is the same reason why some buy the SRTs.

RCSignals
12-01-2006, 10:13 PM

I wouldn't ever dream that this would happen with the Marauder, but you heard these same stories about the Charger Daytonas 25 years ago. I sure with my car would go up in value that much!!!

It took quite a while for those Charger Daytonas from 25 years ago to appreciate. There was quite a long time people couldn't give them away.

(Actually wouldn't be more like the cars of 35 or 40 years ago?)

Mach1
12-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks bryanthomas :beer: I will see about adding some new pics.