PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about retiring...

usafsniper
11-30-2006, 06:03 AM
Well guys, I just found out that due to my prior service, I can actually retire this upcoming February instead of another year down the road. I'm thinking that's good because it means I can get into the civilian market a year early and begin a second career at a younger age. I want to stay in GA if I can, but West Virginia and Tennessee are primary options and I'd consider Maryland or South Carolina too. Soooo, does anyone have any leads or suggestions for someone with experience in spec ops, tactical teams, protective services, running emergency operations centers, and B4 Sniper certified? My primary job for the AF was Security Forces, but I only spent two assignments in that career field...everything else was special duty. I also have four years instructor experience at the Security Forces Academy in San Antonio. I have been looking on usajobs.gov and monster.com, but thought I'd hit up the club here since some of you are retired military or LEO officers. Thanks in advance for any help.

AstroVic
11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
I would encourage you to look at large metropolitan law enforcement agencies. They are usually the only ones with full-time SWAT teams and police academies. Of course, you'll have to pay your dues on the streets, etc., but you already know that.

Dallas PD is a great agency. They have the best retirement of any agency in the nation (you contribute 9% of your pay and they contribute an additional 27% toward your pension!) and they're desperate for good recruits. I think they're even paying a sign-on and/or relocation bonus (about $10,000 I think).

Plus, it's a good climate and has a reasonably priced housing market. Not to mention the fact that they have EVERYTHING you'd ever want to do - a NASCAR track, several universities, pro football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc.

They have a 20 year retirement system, and most of their officers retire as millionaires. That's no joke.

Good luck with your search!

jim geary
11-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Professional body guard. Start your own security co.
The first make darn good money if your any good. Just a thought.

SID210SA
11-30-2006, 06:52 AM
I would encourage you to look at large metropolitan law enforcement agencies. They are usually the only ones with full-time SWAT teams and police academies. Of course, you'll have to pay your dues on the streets, etc., but you already know that.

Dallas PD is a great agency. They have the best retirement of any agency in the nation (you contribute 9% of your pay and they contribute an additional 27% toward your pension!) and they're desperate for good recruits. I think they're even paying a sign-on and/or relocation bonus (about $10,000 I think).

Plus, it's a good climate and has a reasonably priced housing market. Not to mention the fact that they have EVERYTHING you'd ever want to do - a NASCAR track, several universities, pro football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc.

They have a 20 year retirement system, and most of their officers retire as millionaires. That's no joke.

Good luck with your search!

I agree....Dallas PD even advertises on large bilboards here in San Antonio. And he is correct about the signing bonus.

Jim suggests a good profession as well, You can easily make 6 figures as a PPO (Personal Protection Officer) Its a level 4 Security license. Here is some information on being a PPO in Texas.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/ppo.aspx

fastblackmerc
11-30-2006, 07:29 AM
How about these guys:

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/

ckadiddle
11-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Mafia Hit Man? :) Or... NSA, CIA, FBI or some other acronym agancy that might have use for your special skill set. Otherwise it's be a cop or retrain to another line of work.

stryker
11-30-2006, 10:33 AM
:shake: I wish to say that less 1 year to retire but still 28 years to ¿retire? unfortunally here in Puerto Rico for law enforcement they squeeese your life real examples for Police you have to work for 30 years and for Corrections you have to work for... !40 YEARS! this means that if you enter young and healty when you retire you get out sick and old ¿If you reach it? :shake:

STRYKER.:burnout:

KillJoy
11-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Secret Service Hiring?

I know a guy who is involved with http://www.blackwaterusa.com/ He enjoys it very much. The pay is good, but he says it can sometime become dangerous.

Bounty Hunter?

You seem to have skills that a LOT of smaller Police Depts could use.... perhaps one of those????

KillJoy

Marauderman
11-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Check with "MarauderTJA"--He deals with LEO forces giving Tactical Traning all over the U.S--HE surely can hook you up with someone I would think---who knows =--maybe with him----give him a PM......I was in the AF Fire Dept a long time ago myself.........anywho--good luck...............Tom.

2003 MIB
11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Buy a ranch in South Texas- dig some holes- put up some targets- learn to cook BBQ and open....."SNIPER FANTASY CAMP". Take out ads in G&A, SoF and Shotgun News. Feel free to use the idea...I won't sue.

ckadiddle
11-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Buy a ranch in South Texas- dig some holes- put up some targets- learn to cook BBQ and open....."SNIPER FANTASY CAMP". Take out ads in G&A, SoF and Shotgun News. Feel free to use the idea...I won't sue.
I have a coworker that has been ogling magazine photos of .50 cal sniper rifles. Thinks he wants to buy one. Apparently there are .50 cal sniper shooting clubs around somewhere. The above suggestion is not a bad idea.... you could travel to some of these clubs and provide them with professional training.

dwasson
11-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Junior High English teacher in the Atlanta public school system?

Brutus
11-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Secret Service Hiring?

I know a guy who is involved with http://www.blackwaterusa.com/ He enjoys it very much. The pay is good, but he says it can sometime become dangerous.

Bounty Hunter?

You seem to have skills that a LOT of smaller Police Depts could use.... perhaps one of those????

KillJoy

+1, They have openings on their website. Ive been there quite a bit, and wouldnt mind working there myself. Very nice facility and great instructors/staff. I had an opportunity to watch them put on a demo for the son of the president of Iraq. Also, Norm Chandler runs there sniper courses. (Im sure you know who he is!)

Mike Poore
11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Robert, first of all, thank you for the service you've given to your country.

At Fort Detrick, in Frederick Maryland, they are constructing and will be staffing the Homeland Security Skunk Works. People like yourself will be in very high demand, and opportunities abound. Don't let the fact that Gordon (Haggas) lives there bother you, because Chris more than makes up for his, um, unpolished self. Barb & I live 25 miles away, and the remaining CAM group is nearby. It's a great area to live and we'll try to supply any info that you may require.

PS: CAM has grand monthly eat'n meet'n's

ParkRanger
11-30-2006, 05:40 PM
LAPD

PR :burnout:

usafsniper
11-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the imput so far. I agree TX has some great pay, but not my type of geography. I need more greenery than they provide. I'd considered Blackwater too, but unfortunately I'm likely to be a single parent soon and the out of country trips would cause havoc there. I know something will come up, but as many of you have suggested there are things out there that don't get "advertised" normally and unless word of mouth gets it to you it goes unknown. I got a line on PSD for Coca Cola in Atlanta if I can get anyone to get back with me on it. I also have a buddy in GA HWY Patrol SWAT that I may hit up, but I don't want to limit my options too much now...so the search continues. The Maryland Skunk Works sounds very enticing, and I already have a TS clearance that would save them a bundle initially. I'll be looking into that one. Thanks again guys...

Robert

AstroVic
12-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the imput so far. I agree TX has some great pay, but not my type of geography. I need more greenery than they provide.

Apparently you've never been to East Texas.

We have more greenery than you could ever imagine.

Still, good luck in your quest. As a fellow veteran, I appreciate your service.

Vortex
12-01-2006, 08:30 AM
My paperwork is in and I pull the pin on 31 December after 9 years in the Navy and another 19 1/2 as a Special Agent in the Diplomatic Security Service. Right now I think Ill just take some time off.

usafsniper
12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Well guys and gals, I'm 99.9% sure I'll be joining the honored ranks of the GA State Police as soon as I can get through the interviews when I get back home. My friend on the GASP SWAT said they're hiring all they can get right now. Plus it keeps me in a state I like although I think I may try to head a little farther north and get into some mountainous areas. Thanks to anyone that offered advise or put out feelers for me. Anyone from northern GA have suggestions for places to live that are moderate sized, but not "Atlanta" like? I'm looking for country living as it were, but with access to convenience that doesn't make me drive cross country to get there. I'd also like to be near a college (at least a 2 year). Thanks...

FordNut
12-18-2006, 06:44 AM
The Dalton area is nice.

usafsniper
12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah, that was one place that seems like a good option. I'll ultimately get put whereever they need me, but Troop A and B have the whole Northern GA area, so I've got pretty good choices. I was looking at Gainesville and Toccoa also, or someplace just outside those two areas.

The Dalton area is nice.

MarauderTJA
12-18-2006, 07:45 PM
GSP is a great organization to work for Robert. They have a respected Tac Team and you will get plenty of additonal training. The academy is in Forsyth and is one of the nicest in the nation. Some really beautiful areas in northern Georgia if you can pull off getting into a Troop there. Unfortunately most of the guys I knew there have retired. Mention Lt Angel, a GSP legend to your buddy, one of the best shots (marksman) I have ever known or seen shoot a weapon) Best of luck. If I can assist you in any way, let me know. I know a lot of people in the training business nationwide.

TOM

usafsniper
12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I appreciate the offer greatly. I've done two classes with the SWAT team in past years and have to agree with you on their professionalism. Most of military I know could learn a lot from them. My buddy on the team is Trooper C. Evans, and he said the hiring is hot right now so maybe luck will be with me on a northern assignment...but the academy is almost 9 months long, so we'll see what happens. I don't think I can go wrong here...national projections for State Police show increasing wages and hiring for the next 20 years at least. Thanks again!

GSP is a great organization to work for Robert. They have a respected Tac Team and you will get plenty of additonal training. The academy is in Forsyth and is one of the nicest in the nation. Some really beautiful areas in northern Georgia if you can pull off getting into a Troop there. Unfortunately most of the guys I knew there have retired. Mention Lt Angel, a GSP legend to your buddy, one of the best shots (marksman) I have ever known or seen shoot a weapon) Best of luck. If I can assist you in any way, let me know. I know a lot of people in the training business nationwide.

TOM