PDA

View Full Version : 07 Mich.State Police Vehicle tests

LakeShoreDriver
11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Not real good news for panther enthusiasts. The V-8 hemi 5.7L Charger and Magnum outperformed the 3 others teated in almost every catagory. The disappointing part is that the CV Interceptor was evenly matched by the V6 Charger and the V6 Impala.(in performance catagories, not amenities) One test they couldn't explain-the 3.55 and 3.27 CV had the exact time in 0-60, 8.7sec and 0-100, 24.0. How's that? source-Law and Order magazine, Nov 06

DEFYANT
11-30-2006, 07:10 PM
One test they couldn't explain-the 3.55 and 3.27 CV had the exact time in 0-60, 8.7sec and 0-100, 24.0. How's that? source-Law and Order magazine, Nov 06

Most agencies are not going to go with the V8 Dodges. Many Police agencies are complaining about the horrible blind spots and over all cramped interior and tiny trunk - ok I'll stop now. Oh, but the Charger sure does look cool. :rolleyes:

I think the CVPI is safe for now. I hope they plunk that 3 valve engine from the Mustang GT into it.

Master
11-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I think its just a case of other manufacturers trying to make an impact when they break into a market solidly held by Ford. If you want to make an impact, offer an engine that gets you noticed. If Ford saw the engine alone as being a threat, they would have no problem in hauling out something that would perform equally. For now, however, they have no need. If I were in marketing at Ford, I'd have the offer ready for when agencies said "Boy, all these years with CVPI and we didn't realize we didn't have enough power till now". OK. No problem. Try this 5.4L 3 valve with supercharger. Where's your Hemi-God now? Right? Till then, however, why waste the resources.

Master
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
PS The Taurus 24V DOHC (Non-SHO) would totally turn the V-6 Chevy inside out. Yet, you don't see police forces racing to buy these, either. Thankfully, there is much more to the equation than simple engine performance.

crouse
11-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Most law enforcement agencies are looking for better gas mileage from their vehicles. The Dakota County (MN) Sheriff's Department is testing a small number of Dodge Chargers and found that the V6 Charger got 2-3 mpg better than the Crown Vic and that translates into a lot of money saved on fuel costs.

jgc61sr2002
11-30-2006, 07:28 PM
The NYPD is testing 14 chargers

8 with the 6cyl. for patrol and 6 with the 8cyl for Highway Patrol.

The look cool with the factory aluminum wheels. I'am sure the will only be on the test vehicles.:D

LILALLEYKATT
11-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I have a friend whom is the #1 radio & light bar installer in this part of the state he does DEA,FBI,State Trooper installs and he was telling me that the CV is safe for the time being in Ala...

stryker
11-30-2006, 08:17 PM
:mad2: I hate Dodge Chargers, They're crap, Garbage, :censor:

STRYKER.:burnout:

shakes_26
11-30-2006, 08:37 PM
NYC highway patrol? I've driven in NYC, a whole lot, and I think you could use the following for Highway

http://www.thecollectorsshop.co.uk/G011%20Black%20Metal%20Pedal%2 0Car.jpg

The NYPD is testing 14 chargers

8 with the 6cyl. for patrol and 6 with the 8cyl for Highway Patrol.

The look cool with the factory aluminum wheels. I'am sure the will only be on the test vehicles.:D

STLR FN
12-01-2006, 12:33 AM
I'll take the BOF over the unibody please.

SID210SA
12-01-2006, 06:24 AM
PS The Taurus 24V DOHC (Non-SHO) would totally turn the V-6 Chevy inside out. Yet, you don't see police forces racing to buy these, either. Thankfully, there is much more to the equation than simple engine performance.

Maybe partly because the Taurus is no longer going to be made...

Dennis Reinhart
12-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Not real good news for panther enthusiasts. The V-8 hemi 5.7L Charger and Magnum outperformed the 3 others teated in almost every catagory. The disappointing part is that the CV Interceptor was evenly matched by the V6 Charger and the V6 Impala.(in performance catagories, not amenities) One test they couldn't explain-the 3.55 and 3.27 CV had the exact time in 0-60, 8.7sec and 0-100, 24.0. How's that? source-Law and Order magazine, Nov 06

Well they do not after a few mods, the Kentucky State Police have ordered 40 kits and after there install they awaken the car to its full potential, and they are going with CV PI cars not Dodge

seans
12-01-2006, 08:03 AM
[quote=DEFYANT;448667]Most agencies are not going to go with the V8 Dodges. Many Police agencies are complaining about the horrible blind spots and over all cramped interior and tiny trunk - ok I'll stop now. Oh, but the Charger sure does look cool. :rolleyes:

You are 100% correct. I have a police package unmarked charger. Between the full size spare that is mounted in a very unusual manner and the power packs for the lites, radio, etc. I only have room for one soft sided bag. I supervise my Detective Division so fortunately I don't need to carry a full crime scene kit like my detectives do because I would have to carry it in my back seat. The car does look great and I get all kinds of compliments on it.

Vortex
12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
I agree the Charger looks pretty nice as a police car because is a new thing as almost all other cars are CVPIs. That said, over time, those Chargers will start looking like those Dodge Diplomats/Furys (with no frame of course) and the CVPI, with a new engine, will be as popular as ever.

buickconvert
12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Ford could always use the cylinder de-activation technology both GM and DC are using and drop a 6.8L Triton 30 Valve V10 in the CVPI. With 362 hp and 457 ft-lbs, you could run 2.73's and still out-run the hemi charger. Some minor tweaks and I bet ford could squeeze 375/500 out of that engine. Tall gears and cylinder de-activation would likely put the mpg into the V6 range for freeway work. :banana2:

96DiamondVIII
12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
I really thought that they were talking about putting the V10 into the CV long-wheelbase in 2004 or so? Guess that never materialized?

LakeShoreDriver
12-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't doubt the CV isn't going anywhere soon. It still can't be beat for comfort and interior volume. My other point is if gearing makes any significant impact on acceleration how do you explain identical times with the 3.27 and the 3.55 although this question was probably answered by a trans guy a few years ago when I considered swapping the 3.27 in my CV Sport to the 3.55. He said I would'nt notice any difference. Based on that, does going to the 4.10 on the marauder make that big a difference? Or would that swap on the CV be like a change to a 3.83 on the MM?

Mach1
12-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Usually the 4:10's will help the launch and 60 foot times if you have traction. Especially in a heavy car like the Marauder. It also helps the 4V engine get into its power band sooner.In Motor Trends Janurary 07 issue they have a story about the new 07 Mustang Bullit and Boss 302. The Boss engine is the debut of the new Hurricane V8. They say it will have 425 to 435 HP! This would be a good CVPI engine upgrade for the future police cars.

OneBADLsE
12-02-2006, 10:19 PM
i managed to clock a 0-60 of 8.1 as per my vid i shot recently

RCSignals
12-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't doubt the CV isn't going anywhere soon. It still can't be beat for comfort and interior volume. My other point is if gearing makes any significant impact on acceleration how do you explain identical times with the 3.27 and the 3.55 ..................

Who knows. i don't think the times were identical in previous years.

There could have been something wrong. I think it was the 2003 test that initially had bad stop times for the CV. It was determined to be a faulty ABS module or something, and the tests were redone with significantly better result. Unfortunately when the 2003 results are discussed, often the first result is the one quoted, not the second corrected one.

It could be that there was something wrong, like maybe the 3.55 car was incorrectly assembled with a 3.27 gear set.

MeanMachine
12-03-2006, 12:07 AM
The Boss engine is the debut of the new Hurricane V8. They say it will have 425 to 435 HP!

:depress: nice.

StevenJ
12-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I think Motor Trend got the imformation wrong about the Boss. There are two 5.0s comming out. One based on the old small block 302 for aftermarket use. The other one is a new engine family. I think they are OHC like the modulars, just with longer blocks to support big bore. There's a huge article about on Blue Oval News in the forums. Go search there.

JVJ
12-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Well they should.