PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire Removal

Ken
09-26-2002, 07:34 AM
Has anyone tried to remove the spare tire? I am not a lage person (size M, Marauder leater jacket), but my arm will not squeeze through the 2 1/2" between the top of the tire and the trunk weatherstripping, and still reach the 12-15" to undo the tie-down fastener.
Good thing that we have roadside assistance, but what if we are more than capable of changing our tire and don't feel like waiting for hours on the side of the road for assistance?
:confused: :confused:

Ken

Logan
09-26-2002, 07:47 AM
I hadn't actually attempted to remove the spare yet... Hmmm.. I should go try that. :)

Fourth Horseman
09-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Try reaching up from underneath the tire. I was able to turn the plastic hold down assembly that way, as I had trouble squeezing my arm in from the top, as well.

cyclone03
09-26-2002, 11:12 AM
First thing I did when I got the car was locate the jack and spare.
My problem was the hold down for the tire was so tight I had to use both hands to spin it off (I'm 6'1" 195)so I think I had the power to remove it.
Also cleaned the greese off of the hold down.
Yes I had to go in from the bottom too.What a PITA that would be with a weeks worth of road trip stuff in the trunk!

james_hart6
09-26-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I hadn't actually attempted to remove the spare yet... Hmmm.. I should go try that. :)

Logan,

Ever wunner why FOMOCO didn't put in run-flat tires and do away with the spare altogether??? Even after adding the cost of the technology to the base price, I think it would have been an improvement...works for Corvette...unless the tire sizes are so unusual as to drive the price into the stratosphere...but I sure would like to get that spare outta the trunk.

When the current tires wear down maybe the tires guys will have some suggestions for me...

Jim

JamesHecker
09-26-2002, 11:23 PM
I'm really glad to see this thread. I could not believe what a PITA it was to remove the spare. Completely inconvenient access to the hold down and takes forever to unthread! I would feel guilty as hell having a roadside assistance guy have to deal with that! What the H*#L were they thinkin' when they came up with that?

cyclone03
09-27-2002, 06:49 AM
James thats the great thing about message boards,unless you post something like "my seatbelts seem to twist uncontrolably" and you get flamed from one end of the internet to the other......... :D

JamesHecker
09-27-2002, 07:46 AM
But my seatbelts do seem to....
:)

SSMOKEM
09-27-2002, 12:56 PM
I removed the spare from my Impala some years ago, and just added a can of flat fix. These new tires they make are pretty sturdy and I've never had a problem.

Gaylon Harwell
09-30-2002, 10:46 AM
...until a cold, wet night on the shoulder of a freeway to try to "pry" the spare out of the trunk!! Took me an hour and a lot of frustration... this forum's already been EXTREMELY invaluable in providing me with a heads-up on potential problems. Thanks everyone...!

Leadfoot
09-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by james_hart6
Logan,

Ever wunner why FOMOCO didn't put in run-flat tires and do away with the spare altogether??? Even after adding the cost of the technology to the base price, I think it would have been an improvement...works for Corvette...unless the tire sizes are so unusual as to drive the price into the stratosphere...

I only know a little about run flats. Run flats with large side walls have a rubber insert inside the tire wrapped around the wheel to help support the sidewalls when the tire loses air pressure. I don't think the run flats of low profile tires such as on Corvettes need the insert. The insert adds weight (unsprung) and can be a stiffer tire which both will negatively affect ride and handling. Also because of those two things, the loads into the suspension are increased meaning the suspension may need to be beefed up which can add more weight. On top of that, they do cost more. The tire costs more plus you need air pressure monitors to let you know when the tire loses pressure. That's not cheap.

I'm not sure Ford would completely eliminate the spare even if it hard run flats though just in case the tire is undriveable (e.g. if it falls apart).

james_hart6
10-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Leadfoot
... The tire costs more plus you need air pressure monitors to let you know when the tire loses pressure. That's not cheap.

I'm not sure Ford would completely eliminate the spare even if it hard run flats though just in case the tire is undriveable (e.g. if it falls apart).

Thanks, Joe. I thought I saw an article that said that the government is going to require manufacturers to install air pressure monitors within the next model year.

Good points about the suspension mods required.

Sure would be nice to get rid of that spare...but I'm just not brave enough ;)

Jim

Leadfoot
10-02-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by james_hart6
Thanks, Joe. I thought I saw an article that said that the government is going to require manufacturers to install air pressure monitors within the next model year.

True, but those monitors are different. The monitors for run flats are simple. I believe they detect pressure or no pressure to let you know when you have a leak. The monitors the government wants are ones which tell you when the pressure is too low. That is very difficult to do. The reason is that tire pressure does not stay constant and it doesn't always change the same for each tire. Pressure changes with tire temperature (cold at first, warm after driving), changes with passenger and cargo load, etc. Each tire changes differently depending on where the weight is. You have to think of every situation that changes tire pressure and program the monitors for it. Not an easy task.

bozobill
10-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Joe S.,

My '97 C5 had Goodyear runflats and the monitoring system allowed you to check each wheel individually while the car was moving (actually a requirement since the sensors required wheel movement to transmit data) and read the actual real-time air pressure from the drivers seat. It wasn't a simple go, no-go system and was quite accurate. You only had to be moving above 15 mph for the sensors inside each tire to begin data transmission. Pretty slick. I loved it.

Bill

Leadfoot
10-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bozobill
Joe S.,

My '97 C5 had Goodyear runflats and the monitoring system allowed you to check each wheel individually while the car was moving (actually a requirement since the sensors required wheel movement to transmit data) and read the actual real-time air pressure from the drivers seat. It wasn't a simple go, no-go system and was quite accurate. You only had to be moving above 15 mph for the sensors inside each tire to begin data transmission. Pretty slick. I loved it.

Bill

Did your C5 ever tell you when the pressure was too low? In other words, did it dectect when the pressure was below the recommended tire pressure? Or, did it just tell you when the tire was flat? Did you ever get a low tire pressure light and, if so, checked the pressure? What was the pressure if you did?

The system could measure actual pressures but still be go / no go if it didn't compare the pressure against any limit other than 0 or other really low number.

Like I said, I have little knowledge of the subject. I heard a presentation from someone working on the government required tire pressure sensors and all the obstacles to overcome.

bozobill
10-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Joe,

As I was pulling out of the Tampa Bay motel heading back home I got about 100 feet when the low tire pressure chimes sounded. I accessed the display and it indicated my right rear was below the minimum air pressure. I quickly checked the tire pressure with a hand-held gage (remember the sensors can't provide data unless the wheels are turning) and it needed air. I drove slowly to the nearest gas station, filled the tire to 32 psi and started for home. Home was 1300 miles away and I accessed the real-time air pressure display every 30 minutes all the way back to Naperville. When the pressure slipped below 28 psi, I got air. The monitor system allowed me to track the diminishing pressure as I drove and needless to say I made many extra stops to "top off" that tire. When I finally got home and to an approved Goodyear store, I found that the tire had swallowed a 4" spike and couldn't be repaired. Replacement cost: $440.00 or thereabouts.

I sold my C5 in 2000 and don't know if the current system operates the same or not.

Bill

MAD-3R
10-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Damn, I would have thought that the tire warrenty would have covered road hazards...

jessejames
10-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bozobill

I sold my C5 in 2000 and don't know if the current system operates the same or not.

Bill

It does, except the Z06 model does not have runflats so no sensors.

Leadfoot
10-07-2002, 09:02 AM
Maybe GM figured it out. I know Ford is coming out with these systems in the near future.