PDA

View Full Version : broken headbolt Help!

Bruce Wayne
12-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, One of my worst nightmares has come true, I am the proud new owner of an orig. 1948 ford f1 truck. V8 4 spd. Went to change plugs and oil cyls, Broke off sparkplug threads. Removed head and broke headbolt. Went to drill and easy-out stud, and easy-out broke off in block! I feel terrible. Can I dremel this mess out? I don't have a welder. Any help greatly appreciated.

junior
12-02-2006, 08:01 AM
1st off, I feel your pain. Secondly, get a ton of penetrating oil on there before you do anything else and let it sit a day or so. After it sits, grab a punch and tap the top of the easy-out in a clockwise fashion. You may get lucky enough to wiggle it out...I've done this and it works. Then go get the biggest easy-out that will fit in the bolt and try again. Good Luck!

sailsmen
12-02-2006, 08:11 AM
These things s/b handled by Alfred.

Based on your rash of good luck consider bringing it to a machine shop.

Mike Poore
12-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Well, One of my worst nightmares has come true, I am the proud new owner of an orig. 1948 ford f1 truck. V8 4 spd. Went to change plugs and oil cyls, Broke off sparkplug threads. Removed head and broke headbolt. Went to drill and easy-out stud, and easy-out broke off in block! I feel terrible. Can I dremel this mess out? I don't have a welder. Any help greatly appreciated.

Here's what has worked for me, in the past. I use a cutoff wheel on the Dremel, and cut a slot in the bolt that a screwdriver blade will fit. Don't worry about the slot you've cut into the block along with the slot in the bolt. Like junior said, soak the heck out of it with penetrating oil, and let it set for a while. Also, when you insert the screwdriver into the newly cut slot, give it a few taps while turning to help break away the corrosion that's got it bound. FWIW, and it's worked for me, over the years. Good luck. :)

ckadiddle
12-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Yikes, good luck.

Breadfan
12-03-2006, 09:47 AM
For penetrating oil I recommend getting some "PB Blaster" - I've had good luck with that, let it soak good!

It should be available in most parts stores. http://www.pbblaster.com/

kj31067
12-03-2006, 11:45 AM
For penetrating oil I recommend getting some "PB Blaster" - I've had good luck with that, let it soak good!

It should be available in most parts stores. http://www.pbblaster.com/

i second the p b blaster....good stuff but the missus will complain if the workshop is anywhere close to the house!! stinky stuff:)