PDA

View Full Version : Home and heart feel empty.

younga1
12-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, after 13 1/2 years, I had to say goodbye to my best friend and "first son".

My chocolate lab was very very sick and I had to let him go. He was a birthday gift from my wife back before we had kids. He was truly the most kind and gentle dog I have ever known.

He was also the first dog I was truly able to call mine. I had no idea how hard this would be or how much I could miss him. We have another dog (1/2 lab, 1/2 great dane) and she is great. However, he was my boy, my first, My friend. I could go on and on...

Hopefully the pain will pass but right now, I don't know. For all of my friends here who share my passion and have a dog, love it, spend time with it and know that it loves you back unconditionally.

the_pack_rat
12-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry for your loss.

DEFYANT
12-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Hang in there man. Celebrate the good life your buddy had with you.

Rider90
12-03-2006, 11:32 PM
It doesn't take long for man's best friend to become a important link in your family. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Gre8one7
12-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Sorry to hear that adam

RCSignals
12-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Well, after 13 1/2 years, I had to say goodbye to my best friend and "first son".

My chocolate lab was very very sick and I had to let him go. He was a birthday gift from my wife back before we had kids. He was truly the most kind and gentle dog I have ever known.

He was also the first dog I was truly able to call mine. I had no idea how hard this would be or how much I could miss him. We have another dog (1/2 lab, 1/2 great dane) and she is great. However, he was my boy, my first, My friend. I could go on and on...

Hopefully the pain will pass but right now, I don't know. For all of my friends here who share my passion and have a dog, love it, spend time with it and know that it loves you back unconditionally.

I know exactly what you mean. April of this year we had to do the same exact thing.
Best for our 'boy' but very hard on us. Haggis was his name, (Gordon was named after him) He was born in our house, and knew no other master.

Believe me, your boy, this particular dog, will always be with you, as well as some of the pain, but you will come to terms with it.

I truly mean it when I say 'I feel your pain'

Haggis
12-04-2006, 04:09 AM
I also feel your pain in losing your best friend. My pal Smitty is 14yrs old now and even though he tries to act like a puppy from time to time you can tell age is catching up to him. Smitty and I send our condolences.

Mike Poore
12-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Adam, Barb & I am so sorry to hear your buddy's gone; but the first thing she asked was: did he get the new puppy, yet?
It's the best medicine y'know, and the sooner the better.
A word of warning, though; seek out the same breeder or another highly regarded one, and try to obtain a copy of your old pal; don't go rushing for a replacement only to find he doesn't measure up.

Zack
12-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Sorry to hear, I am an avid pet lover myself

Breadfan
12-04-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I know it can be real tough. I had a chocolate lab that lived to 12.5 years, I had to put him down due to illness as well. In the end, it was for the best.

It took me about a year to get another dog, I have a second chocolate lab now, he's about 3 years old now, and although he has his own interesting habits, he's a chip off the old block as they say.

Anyway, again, sorry to hear about the loss.

jim geary
12-04-2006, 06:56 AM
It's never easy to lose a loved one. Especially one that you have grown close
to and have bonded with. Only time will heal the hurt that you feel.
God bless you.

LordVader
12-04-2006, 08:00 AM
So sorry for your loss. You can take solace knowing that you had many good years together.

Bluerauder
12-04-2006, 08:07 AM

My chocolate lab was very very sick and I had to let him go.
My condolences to you and your family on your loss. :( You're right, chocolate labs are really terrific pets...... and family members.

ckadiddle
12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Their short lives enrich ours immeasureably.

UAW 588
12-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Sorry for your loss. The dog we have now is a 5 1/2 year female German Shepherd. We got her from a breeder right after our honeymoon. This is the first dog that I have ever owned, and fear the day that you have just described. Just last night my wife and myself had a discusssion about her future passing and replacement, and just didn't sit well with both of us. I feel the same way you did about about your dog. When someone or something becomes part of the family it's very hard to say good bye.:(

AstroVic
12-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Sorry about your dog. That really sucks!

When I graduated from college, I was forced to give up my German Shepherd because my new place didn't allow dogs of any size - and, trust me, I had already exhausted every possible opportunity. Nobody else could keep him for me, and boarding him was going to cost way more than I could reasonably afford.

My situation wasn't half as bad as yours. At least my buddy got a good home in Dallas. Still, it hurt really bad to drive home to Houston without him. :(

RF Overlord
12-04-2006, 08:49 AM
The loss of a pet is never easy...Bunny and I have been through that pain too many times with our rabbits. Take heart in knowing that you will be re-united at the Rainbow Bridge. (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm)

jgc61sr2002
12-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Sorry for your loss.

sweetair
12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I just found my dogs cremation card from 13 years ago just the other day. She was a beautiful German Shepard. I feel your pain and sorrow. He is in a good place and is at peace.

SID210SA
12-05-2006, 01:28 PM
She wasn't a dog, but I lost my Cat of 15 years....she was a striped tabby gray and black and was a wonderful family member....when she died about 3 years ago it was the saddest thing....as much as I hate to admit it I cried for her and had a hard time letting go....
I am truely sorry for you loss Adam.
I had her cremated and she will still always be with me....

jimlam56
12-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Chocolate Labs are great people dogs and great Duck dogs.
Sorry for your loss, my suggestion is to get another Lab, never will replace him but will ease the pain somewhat...ask me how I know...

Vortex
12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Adam, sorry to hear about your dog. Hopefully you can take your mind away from it this weekend and meet us up in Allen.

Vortech347
12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Its so damn hard. 2 years ago I put down my little Sheltie. I had him since I was 10. I was an only child and he was my best friend. Rode with me every where and did everything with me. Hell we'd take him TP'ing in highschool. When we'd get caught he'd stick right with me as we'd run. I remember handing him off to friends over fences. :lol: When I moved out at 21 he came with me.

14.5 years of good times cancer got him when he was still in good health. However after about a month (not kidding) of being extremely depressed I realized that he was better off because not only was he sick but arthritis was starting to kick in.

3 months went by and my wife made me go to an animal shelter just to take a look. We found our dog Shelby there and its been awesome. Then this year in the spring we picked up another adoption dog (Jack) and the 2 get along awesome.

The hardest part were things like.... Door bell barking, silent. Getting the "wecome home" greeting.

Remember this you'll feel like no other dog in the world will ever compare, you're right they won't. However nothing ever beats the companionship of a loving dog(s). Give it time and when your ready and your family is, go see whats out there. Damn thinkin about all this stuff makes me teary eye'd...

Good Luck.

RoyLPita
12-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Adam, I'm sorry for your loss.

Steve_NC
12-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. We dont have pets in our house. We have children with four legs, and know all too well how hard it is to lose one.

God bless

Black_Noise
12-05-2006, 11:54 PM
im a cat person and it would be that same, sorry for your loss!:(

captJ696
12-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Labrador Retrievers, in my opinion are the best family dogs ever. They love EVERYBODY. Rocky is my first dog I owned and raised on my own since childhood. Let me express my condolences on your loss. If Rocky lives as long as your "best friend", I will be grateful. He is 4 1/2 now. Also as someone mentioned previously, you should get yourself a new dog, not to replace your loss because they all have their own personality.

Bigdogjim
12-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I saw this post but could not respond till now. Adam I am very sorry for your loss. I have a dog (Odie Monster) and he is 12. Still acts like a puppy:) My wife said if you play with him now (when we got him) he will always play back:) So true. I also have 3 cats, sometimes Odie think he is a cat:) The oldest cat is 16 and still going strong. I really like Odie as he is my "buddy" however a house is not complete without a cat in the window:) (IMHO)
RF thanks for the link to Rainbow Bridge :up:

younga1
12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks to you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. I wonder how many other things many of us all here at MM.net have in common?

Not rushing out for another nor will I ever try to "replace" him. We still have a K-9 child at home and she is coping as good as can be expected although she has never known life without her running buddy.

This is far more difficult that I could have ever imagined. He came into my life on 07/25/93 and will always be a part of it if now only in memories.

Big Time
12-07-2006, 12:10 AM
It takes a long time. I just lost my cat last month. She was 22 years old. Had her since I was 12. Mom let me have her when my rabbit died.

The other cat was also 22 whe he died two years ago.

Pets make out lives so much richer. I'll get another cat soon.

GAMike
12-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. We dont have pets in our house. We have children with four legs, and know all too well how hard it is to lose one.

God bless

This says it all ^^^^ When you are ready go down to the pound or get with a rescue group. The dogs there know where they are, and will be grateful. Saving another dogs life is a great way to honor your pal.

My wife and I and our gang of 14 rescue pooch's send our condolences.

MERCMAN
12-08-2006, 08:45 AM
For you and your family

I found a penny today,
just laying on the ground.
But it is not just a penny,
this little coin I found.

Found pennies come from heaven,
that’s what my Grandpa told me.
He said Dog Angels toss them down,
oh how I loved that story.

He said when a Dog Angel misses you,
they toss a penny down.
Sometimes just to cheer you up,
make a smile out of your frown.

So don't pass by that penny
when you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from heaven,
that your dog has tossed to you.

Author Unknown

jabird56
12-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Adam, I sorry for your loss. I had to put down my Yellow Lab, Brandy, 2 years ago next month. She was the best "buddy" I ever had, and smart too. She would go get my sneakers when I asked if she wanted to go for a walk. And in the duck blind as the tide came in, if a decoy start sneeking away I would send her out to retreive. As she swam back to shallower water she would drop it on command and come back to the blind. She loved to play in the heavy surf of the Outer Banks also. I still miss her.
To help a little I have enclosed the writings of W.S Corgill below, hope this helps. To cat lovers, this applies also.

Jay, a dog lover....

A DOGS PLEA<o:p></o:p>

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Don't break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me things you would have me learn.<o:p></o:p>
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know from the fierce wagging of my tail whenever your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.<o:p></o:p>
Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the warm hearth.<o:p></o:p>
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.<o:p></o:p>
Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and to do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.<o:p></o:p>
And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.<o:p></o:p>
W.S. Corgill, 1987<o:p></o:p>