PDA

View Full Version : Project Completed!

Vortex
12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, after almost 12 years my 67 GTO is done! I bought it from the original owner in Honolulu in 1995 and it was in storage from 96-98 when I was in Canberra and again from 00-03 when I was in Bombay. After a frame off and about a million horror stories (not to mention great big piles of dollars) I finally got the damn thing registered today. Even that was a pain in the ass. I had some nice year of manufacture plates but it was a real low number like "BRW-33" and when I took the plates to the tax office they said I couldnt use them because they needed 6 digits. After having them call DOT, DPS and everybody else, they just wouldnt let me do it so I had to get a crappy looking Texas antique tag. The topper was it only has 4 digits! Well, thats how its been since day one. I originally had the GTO and a cherry 66 LeMans and sold the LeMans in 99 to restore the GTO. The LeMans just needed a brake job and only had 60k original miles. Live and learn my friends. Anyway, its finally done and it does look nice. Drives like a Massey-Ferguson compared to my Marauder but it sure is pretty. Should be a good month, my GTO is done and I retire after almost 29 years with Uncle Sam at the end of the month. Pics of my GTO (before and after) and my Le Mans are in my gallery. Final word; better to buy a restored car than restore a car!

1stMerc
12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Ah, but you don't get as much pleasure and satisfacttion.

Congrats on achieving your goals.

cruzer
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Jim, congrats on putting another Clasic back on the road in new condition. My '69 Barracuda is in the final detailing phase in my garage right now--you're right about the "money pit"--I haven't had the guts to add up the cost yet--guess I will have to if I am going to set a sale price. If you fell the urge, the CowTown Mopars are having a Christmas Show at Huffines in Louisville from 9-3 on Sat the 9th--just bring an unwrapped -new toy and you are part of the show--the Barracuda will be there--it is open classes--all makes and models--come if you can. Hope to see you and the GTO Saturday, Maury

Bigdogjim
12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Why buy it all ready finished? That way you have no fun? :rofl:

Congrats on the finished project!

the_pack_rat
12-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I've always admired your GTO.

The 67 Lemans/GTO has always been one of my favorite Pontiacs. I'd love to own a 67 GTO some day.

Enjoy it.

Haggis
12-05-2006, 06:04 AM
I've always admired your GTO.

The 67 Lemans/GTO has always been one of my favorite Pontiacs. I'd love to own a 67 GTO some day.

Enjoy it.

I'm with 'the_rat'. :drool:

Zack
12-05-2006, 06:20 AM
We need pictures!

Vortex
12-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Id post photos but they "exceed the size limit". They are posted in my member gallery though. Thanks for the compliments, it makes the $$$$ seems less painful!

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=2827

ckadiddle
12-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Nice. Glad you finished it!

Blackened300a
12-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Very Nice, I had a 67 GTO as well and it would have probably taken just as long as you to finish!