PDA

View Full Version : '04 GTO true dual exhaust

Geo
06-06-2003, 02:07 PM
A while back I mentioned that the GTO is to use true dual exhaust even though it seems to have pipes on one side. I mentioned that the same V-body 97-02 Cadillac Cateras had the dual exhaust that ended in one corner.

This is the lay-out of the GTO duals.

jgc61sr2002
06-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Dual exhaust looks better with one pipe exiting each side of the car. IMHO.

RF Overlord
06-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Notice how the pipe for the right bank crosses over and becomes the left tailpipe...

Typical Pontiac...doing everything sideways... :rolleyes:

:lol:

the fat bastid
06-06-2003, 07:47 PM
why doesnt this setup use a crossover pipe? acutally now that i think about it why does the mm have an x at all?

i'm not brining up the h vs x debate i'm just wondering what the difference between crossover and non-crossover is.

RCSignals
06-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Typical odd ball GM.

They're already talking about replacing it with a US platform, really inspires confidence in this one sounding like a stop-gap

01 Interceptor
06-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Heh...all the US GM platforms are fwd IIRC. Typical move...kill a great idea before you make it. Just like the LS1 powered Impala SS with *gasp* RWD!!!

Bigdogjim
06-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Hey! Would not true daul exhast have a tail pipe on each side?

jgc61sr2002
06-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Jim - Not necessarily. The GTO has a true dual exhaust they just exit from the same side. I also don't care for that system.

SaxGuy
06-07-2003, 08:59 PM
I love the pontiac LS1's but I just dont like the GTO. They should of made the car a lot bigger, IMHO it looks like a cavalier that breed with a grand am and got an LS1 out of the deal.

TripleTransAm
06-08-2003, 10:23 AM
I agree with SaxGuy. I'm not hot on the styling at all. In fact, I'm not all that hot on Pontiac's current styling direction. While most cars are not as 'out there' as the Aztek, I still see way too much of that rounded nose with two portholes look.

If they wanted to capitalize on the split-grille look, they should have done just that... split the grille.
I fooled around with Photoshop a few months before the intro pics were publicized. I used a picture of the Holden car on which the GTO is based, and used some styling cues from a 1971 GTO.
http://firebird.freeservers.com/misc-old/2004gto4.jpg

Ross
06-10-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm also interested in knowing why the crossover? Whether its an X or an H, why not have two separate pipes, instead of joining them in some kind of crossover?

MAD-3R
06-10-2003, 11:15 AM
The crossover helps equalize back presure. The marauder has an "H" pipe type connector, while a few of the guys here have posted pics of custom exhaust "X" type. THe jury is still out on whitch is better.

rurumon
06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
is it me, or would center mounted exhaust have fit that car better? i mean, its a nifty concept that doesnt work on many cars, but on some its pretty sweet (camaro ss).

MM03
06-10-2003, 12:14 PM
They are probably crossing over the tail pipes so the total length of the exhaust system is equal. It would have been better to exit on the left and right sides.(IMHO)

MAD-3R
06-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Mod one.
Exhaust converted to x-pipe and exiting at the corners.
Mod two.
Carmax to check if they can get enought to pay off the note
Mod Three
Break lockup infrount of a Dumptruck and a call to insurance.

the fat bastid
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
TTA: stop making cars better then they do! might get a sueing! heh.

seriously, i would buy that one..

RCSignals
06-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Ross
I'm also interested in knowing why the crossover? Whether its an X or an H, why not have two separate pipes, instead of joining them in some kind of crossover?

I don't think the cross over is joined.

I can't see each pipe being equal length that way either, but maybe they are.
One on each side would be better IMO

JohnnyB
06-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Pontiac styling resembles somthing out of a star wars movie. The new GTO is ugly.... the 2005 Mustang blows it away.
Pontiac shoud have thrown in a styling cue from the 1967 or 1969 GTO and maybe it would have a chance. Looks like a Jap import to me

Geo
06-10-2003, 08:04 PM
It would seem that the crossover is not joined; crossovers work best where the temperature of a exhaust system is the hottest and that would be near the collectors. This is why catalytic converters are close to the collectors as they need heat to ignite.

It has been said that on a conventional dual exhaust system, if one was to install an H or an X (X is supposed to give more of a low RPM TQ advanatage), one should paint the exhaust system with non-permanent paint and figure out where the "hot spot" is. This is where you would ideally install an H or an X (provided there are no driveline or cross-members in the way) or as close to the mark as possible. Now that Sony has those NightShot video cameras that can film in 0 LUX (no light), with the right filter you can film the exhaust and possibly get a hot spot reading (in theory) with the right filter in place (early models didn't require filters to trigger NIghtShot mode at 0+ LUX but Sony had to disable the feature unless 0 LUX was sensed because people were able to video people's bathing suits, etc. during the day and capture nudy shots; although with the appropriate filters you still could).

It seems that one pipe is crossing over the other in the GTO for some reason perhaps for space provisions. This is likely due to space limitation of the trunk and the Independant Rear Suspension. One can take a look at a '97-'02 Cadillac Catera and see why there is little room.

I'd rather have this exhaust system than the Camaro/Firebird exhaust system that yielded next to no possibility for a true dual exhaust system that consisted of 2 pipes. It is also theorized that the least obstruction of efficient flow is attained when the restriction in the exhaust system is as far back as possible from the heads/collectors. The GTO system is indicative of this thought. I do agree though that I long for a true dual exhaust and 2 pipes on either end. My Impala is like this and a quite do enjoy watching and feeling each pipe and observing it's distinct exhaust pulse (especially in cold weather).

GEO