PDA

View Full Version : This one time...... on eBay....

Steve_NC
12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I am new to shopping on eBay. I have scored a few nice deals on my MM stuff, but I am starting to see a trend. I have been in a few bid wars on items only to get an email later saying "second chance offer". My spider senses are tingling on this deal. Is it common for sellers to create a false elevated sale price buy creating a fake bidder account, and elevating the bid? I have been looking for an MM leather jacket for awhile now, and all of the new talk on the boards about them started me looking again. I now have a "second chance offer" on a jacket, but I am a bit dubious about the sale. What is a fair price for one of these jackets, and are they quality enough to pay 200 to 300 bucks for one?

Pops
12-12-2006, 05:44 PM
It is possible that the seller has more than one of the items. It can be easier to sell them on Second Chance.

Bigdogjim
12-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I do not know about "fake" bidders, however people do back out or change their mind and ask the seller to contact the second hightest bidder.

As for the jacket I would say $200. is tops.

Shora
12-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I have one and think that it looks awsome. However, they don't seem to be too durable. I am not saying that it will fall apart on you but just that I have seen better quality.

Maybe I am just saying this because I have one and that I only get to wear it once or twice a yr (live in Miami, FL) but I wouldn't pay more than $200.00 for one.

However, it is a rare item and will only get more rare as time goes by. Thus, if you really want one, get it while you still can.

Shora
12-12-2006, 05:50 PM
As for the jacket I would say $200. is tops.

I wouldn't pay more than $200.00 for one.

Wow wa wee wa. Check out the post times! Great minds think alike.

ezratty
12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
remember this jacket was free to new owners, now they are looking to make a buck. being a second generation owner i would love to get my hands on one but i am not willing to fork over 200 for a 4 year old jacket.

as for the second chance offer on ebay, it can only be as high as you are willing to bid. a good way to check the validity of the other bids is to check the ratings of the other bidders. if they have a relaistic score of sales and purchases then it looks legit, if they have a extremely low score or no other buys/sells then it smells fishy. they could also have a friend putting in phantom bids.

best rule of thumb - if you were willing to pay that amount if you actually won then it is the same as the second chance offer.

My father always said:
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it

fastblackmerc
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I'd check their eBay seller's ratings....

bugsys03
12-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I wouldnt buy from a second chance offer. Its almost always someone trying to scam you. Forward the second chance to spoof@ebay.com and they will email you back saying whether it is legit. All legit second chances will ALWAYS show up on your myebay page in your messages from ebay

Bill Lalk
12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I wouldnt buy from a second chance offer. Its almost always someone trying to scam you. Forward the second chance to spoof@ebay.com and they will email you back saying whether it is legit. All legit second chances will ALWAYS show up on your myebay page in your messages from ebay
What kind of answer is this? A rookie, for sure. I sell a lot on ebay and use second chance offers all the time because it costs me zero $ listing fee and I usually have more of the same items. By the way, I am 100% ligit and have a 100% feedback rating. You should not give advice on a subject in which you know very little. Second chance offers are a very common way to sell on ebay, very common and very ligit.

DEFYANT
12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I believe you are referring to something called "shill bidding". If caught, a seller could get a vacation from ebay. Report your suspicions to eBay and they will look into it.

Or offer them $100.00 and see what they say.

superford3
12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
i was recently biding on the rare marauder badges,im sure most of you saw them on ebay and the other bider had a 0 score and has never bought anything before so i quit biding on them because im sure it was a fake bider

Bill Lalk
12-12-2006, 09:19 PM
i was recently biding on the rare marauder badges,im sure most of you saw them on ebay and the other bider had a 0 score and has never bought anything before so i quit biding on them because im sure it was a fake bider
Could be, but everyone needs to start sometime. We all had a zero at one time. I simply put in a proxy bid at the most $ I'm willing to pay and walk away. I don't get caught up in the whole bidding war deal.

Bigdogjim
12-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes I agree with your way of bidding as I also do not like the last second bidding,unless I am selling:)

RCSignals
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
I am new to shopping on eBay. I have scored a few nice deals on my MM stuff, but I am starting to see a trend. I have been in a few bid wars on items only to get an email later saying "second chance offer". My spider senses are tingling on this deal. Is it common for sellers to create a false elevated sale price buy creating a fake bidder account, and elevating the bid? I have been looking for an MM leather jacket for awhile now, and all of the new talk on the boards about them started me looking again. I now have a "second chance offer" on a jacket, but I am a bit dubious about the sale. What is a fair price for one of these jackets, and are they quality enough to pay 200 to 300 bucks for one?

Hi Steve

It could be that shill bidding was going on, but not necessarily. Second chance offers are a legitimate function on eBay. The seller may have more than one, or the high bidder backed out. Non-paying bidders is very common on eBay. Some people bid just for the 'sport' of bidding, with no intention of buying.

Where is this seller located?

After a while on eBay you'll realise it's never worth it to get in a bidding war.
Become a hated 'sniper' and you'll do much better

ezratty
12-13-2006, 06:15 AM
ebay is crap when it comes to regulating actions of its clients - I put my '66 mustang convertible up for sale with a buy it now price of 12K, some guy used that option (he lived in florida) and said that he was sending his kit to pick up the car in 2 days. the kid shows up and whips out his camera phone starts taking pictures of the car and sends them to is old man down south. he calls his kid and then has me get on the phone - now instead of 12k he is offering 9K. BS right. so he walked - when i contacted ebay they did nothing but refund the sales fee not even the listing - nothing against this ********* , there was nothing i could do but eat the $60 and relist - this time without the buy it now.

if you wanted to screw people left and right on ebay you could do it and never worry about the consequences.

MERCMAN
12-13-2006, 06:24 AM
I believe you are referring to something called "shill bidding". If caught, a seller could get a vacation from ebay. Report your suspicions to eBay and they will look into it.

Or offer them $100.00 and see what they say.

A shill is the lowest of the low, they should be burned at the stake and their ashes scattered over a manure pile :up:

bugsys03
12-13-2006, 06:29 AM
What kind of answer is this? A rookie, for sure. I sell a lot on ebay and use second chance offers all the time because it costs me zero $ listing fee and I usually have more of the same items. By the way, I am 100% ligit and have a 100% feedback rating. You should not give advice on a subject in which you know very little. Second chance offers are a very common way to sell on ebay, very common and very ligit.

Thats why EVERYTIME I bid on something I get FAKE second chance offers I suppose, sometimes 2 or 3 offers from different "sellers" on the same item

Bill Lalk
12-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Thats why EVERYTIME I bid on something I get FAKE second chance offers I suppose, sometimes 2 or 3 offers from different "sellers" on the same item
Well, I guess ebay is not for you then, as it sounds like its not for a few others, with their negative answers. My Dad always told me, buyer beware. I have had 2 bad buying experiences and 1 selling that went south, but I figure its worth it for me. I love buying(and selling) on line. Ebay saved my but once with a MM lookalike in Michigan. Anyway, I am sorry to have cridicized you. You really need to use your own common sense and you should be fine. You were hesitant and asked the question here, so obviously you're bright enough to make a sound decision.

RCSignals
12-13-2006, 10:54 PM
ebay is crap when it comes to regulating actions of its clients - I put my '66 mustang convertible up for sale with a buy it now price of 12K, some guy used that option (he lived in florida) and said that he was sending his kit to pick up the car in 2 days. the kid shows up and whips out his camera phone starts taking pictures of the car and sends them to is old man down south. he calls his kid and then has me get on the phone - now instead of 12k he is offering 9K. BS right. so he walked - when i contacted ebay they did nothing but refund the sales fee not even the listing - nothing against this ********* , there was nothing i could do but eat the $60 and relist - this time without the buy it now.

if you wanted to screw people left and right on ebay you could do it and never worry about the consequences.

Happens all the time, especially with car sales. If you pressed it with eBay they probably would have refunded the listing fees. (I thought it was $25 to list, and $25 when it sold?)
Did you report him as a non-paying bidder? eBay would have assigned a 'strike'. They allow three strikes, and the guy's gone.

RCSignals
12-13-2006, 10:58 PM

You aren't very lucky.
It's usually very easy to tell teh 'Fakes' from the real, and eBay takes the fakes seriously. Make sure you always report them.

I've never had a fake second chance offer, but I have had a couple of fake notices that I should pay for something I haven't bid on.

Marauderjack
12-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Hey Folks....I have a question???

Why is it when a DEAL goes BAD it is said to....."GO SOUTH"???:mad:

Actually things are PRETTY DAMN GOOD DOWN HERE!!!!!!:beer: :D

Marauderjack:eek:

jimlam56
12-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Hey Folks....I have a question???

Why is it when a DEAL goes BAD it is said to....."GO SOUTH"???:mad:

Actually things are PRETTY DAMN GOOD DOWN HERE!!!!!!:beer: :D

Marauderjack:eek:

DAD-GUM RIGHT!!!:mad2:

Bill Lalk
12-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Boys, "gone south" means "gone to hell", or did you already know that and you're just funnin' me:P

Marauderjack
12-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Mr. Bill.....

We understand the implication but still don't understand how anyone who has ever been down here could ever say something like that!!!:shake: :D

As they say in the song..."If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie....I don't wanna go......If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie......I'd just as soon stay home"!!!:beer:

Just pulling your leg.....Sorry about the:hijack:

Marauderjack:burnout:

jimlam56
12-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Back on point...
Ebay is a what you make of it.
I've done about 250 transactions buying and selling, and I've had 3 nightmare deals.
Not a bad ratio, until you factor in 1 of the bad ones was a certain Blue MM...
The car is great, but the transaction was less than smooth...
Do your research, snipe, and keep your feedback good and you can come up with some good deals.

Master
12-14-2006, 06:13 PM
For gosh sake! Did someone say the jackets were FREE when you bought your new MM? Not up here in the frozen North, they weren't. Not unless some salesman is wearin mine. Sorry for the highjack, but DAMN! You Yanks got it good - and we built the darn cars!

Merc-O-matic
12-14-2006, 06:36 PM

As an original Marauder Owner...I recieved a BRAND NEW Leather Marauder
Jacket XL. This jacket is still BRAND NEW (real leather)....never worn, still in the bag with tags, etc. This is one quality jacket and a very special "collectable"...even states on the label..."made exclusively for Marauder Owners"
These jackets are one of a kind and came as Standard Equipment with
the car!
Don't think she'll leave home for less than $500!

Gotta Love It!:pimp: