PDA

View Full Version : Question about my water system

Mike Poore
12-16-2006, 08:04 AM
In past months there has been an audible "burp" when we run any tap, and groaning, hissing, noises as the tank fills after a flush. Now, in the past two weeks, there has been a fair amount of air collecting in the lines, and blowing out when we open a tap anywhere at any faucet, cold or hot water lines, upstairs, or down, inside or out. There is no evidence of water leaking from any pipe or the hot water heater. We have a 300ft well with 1HP submersible pump and an expansion tank with a check valve between the tank and the pump, and there's plenty of pressure. I changed the inline filter cartridge, and bled some air off the tank, but know, large amounts of air in the lines is not normal, and wonder if anyone will offer an explanation, or knows what's wrong. Thanks in advance.

Of course, jokes, quips and wise cracks about crabmonsters from Indianapolis are welcome, and expected, as always. :D

fastblackmerc
12-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Hole in the expansion tank bladder?

RCSignals
12-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Shouldn't you be asking your doctor?

MERCMAN
12-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Sounds to me like your tank is waterlogged, time for a new tank

Mike Poore
12-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Still working, looking, at it. Sunshine has been moved to new quarters for the duration, at Barbara's insistence.

Is there any chance the hot water heater could be a player?

In any case I'm giving most attention to the expansion tank, which is not leaking, by the way. Also, there's an air valve, like the ones on our tires, on top of the tank. It must be above/outside the bladder, and if the bladder is leaking, or waterlogged, wouldn't there be water coming out, when I press the valve stem, instead of air? :dunno:

Haggis
12-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Are you sure your well is not running dry? :mad2:

Mike Poore
12-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Are you sure your well is not running dry? :mad2:

Perish the thought, Gordon. it's 300 ft, and there's water up to 60ft. that's 240 ft of water at 1 1/2 gallons per foot in an 8" casing. I got some info at Lowe's about how to drain and recharge the expansion tank with air pressure. They say 2 lbs less than the low cutoff of the pump. In this case 28psi with the tank drained. I'm doing that this morning, wish me luck. :cool4:

Haggis
12-18-2006, 06:18 AM
Perish the thought, Gordon. it's 300 ft, and there's water up to 60ft. that's 240 ft of water at 1 1/2 gallons per foot in an 8" casing. I got some info at Lowe's about how to drain and recharge the expansion tank with air pressure. They say 2 lbs less than the low cutoff of the pump. In this case 28psi with the tank drained. I'm doing that this morning, wish me luck. :cool4:

It is 300ft yes, but are you sure the water is still up to the 60ft mark? Also how many GPM do you have?

Mike Poore
12-18-2006, 06:38 AM
It is 300ft yes, but are you sure the water is still up to the 60ft mark? Also how many GPM do you have?

3GPM, and yes it's right up there. That's the first thing I checked. There's plenty of water, and now my bet's on the pressure tank.

More later, Calvin & I are gonna go play with the tank and the air compressor. BTW, air compressors are just about the most useful gadget you can have in your shop. :)

Haggis
12-20-2006, 08:50 AM
3GPM, and yes it's right up there. That's the first thing I checked. There's plenty of water, and now my bet's on the pressure tank.

More later, Calvin & I are gonna go play with the tank and the air compressor. BTW, air compressors are just about the most useful gadget you can have in your shop. :)

Well...what's the update?

magindat
12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Hole in the expansion tank bladder?

That would cause loss of pressure.

magindat
12-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Still working, looking, at it. Sunshine has been moved to new quarters for the duration, at Barbara's insistence.

Is there any chance the hot water heater could be a player?

In any case I'm giving most attention to the expansion tank, which is not leaking, by the way. Also, there's an air valve, like the ones on our tires, on top of the tank. It must be above/outside the bladder, and if the bladder is leaking, or waterlogged, wouldn't there be water coming out, when I press the valve stem, instead of air? :dunno:

Yes. You have a suction leak, not a pressure leak.

pantheroc
12-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Does the well have ground air coming up through the water that the pump is pulling in? Maybe the small amounts of air are adding up in the tank. ? Run the pump output into a bucket of water (if possible) and see if any bubbles of air flowing.

Mike Poore
12-20-2006, 12:24 PM
OK, thanks everyone for your input & help.

The culprit was low back pressure in the pressure tank and my misunderstanding of how it worked. As said before I was bleeding pressure off the tank and the lower the pressure got, the more air was being introduced into the system.

Here's what I did. Shut off the pump and closed the valve from the tank to the house water supply lines. Then drained the tank completely, pressurized it to 2psi lower than the low cut off pump control (28psi), refilled the tank by turning the pump back on, then followed the draining procedure a second time. Then with the tank empty, and the valves closed, I pressurized the tank to 28psi and turned the pump back on, then opened the valves for the house supply. There was still a little air in the lines, including the HW heater, but in the last two days it's been purged, and everything's fine.
All fixed at no cost or mess, and once again my friends came through and we fixed it. Thank you again for your help and suggestions. :woohoo:

ckadiddle
12-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Hooray!! I still think that as a group/community, we know everything about everything. :)

Bigdogjim
12-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes we are "knowitalls"

Mike start watching "This Old House" :rofl:

Mike Poore
12-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Hooray!! I still think that as a group/community, we know everything about everything. :)

It's true, y'know.

Did you see the Cigar thread?

What an amazing group of folks. :D