PDA

View Full Version : Any Cigar Aficionados?

Rider90
12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
So I'm at the local cigar shop planning to restock up on some Drew Estate Acid, and some Arturo Fuente Gran Reservas. I browse and make my picks and the store owner comes up and suggests this other cigar bundle, called:

Fuente Fuente OpusX
Chateau de la Feunte
Rare Estate Reserve
MCMXCII 1992

We had a discussion and he made them sound like the lord of all cigars so I had to try them. With Christmas coming up I purchased a set for a co-worker, so I left the store with the Reserva d' Chateau & Perfecxion collection.

They came in these tins:
http://jasonsautospa.com/opusx.jpg
"3 Xtra Rare Cigars" per tin

I did alittle research on the web, but does anyone have experience with these? I hear great things...should I save em, or try em? It looks like they are hard to come by.

2003_MM_FYRE49
12-20-2006, 09:49 PM
So I'm at the local cigar shop planning to restock up on some Drew Estate Acid, and some Arturo Fuente Gran Reservas. I browse and make my picks and the store owner comes up and suggests this other cigar bundle, called:

Fuente Fuente OpusX
Chateau de la Feunte
Rare Estate Reserve
MCMXCII 1992

We had a discussion and he made them sound like the lord of all cigars so I had to try them. With Christmas coming up I purchased a set for a co-worker, so I left the store with the Reserva d' Chateau & Perfecxion collection.

They came in these tins:

I did alittle research on the web, but does anyone have experience with these? I hear great things...should I save em, or try em? It looks like they are hard to come by.

Jason, you will love those. I got a tin for my father-in-law and myself on my wedding day last April. It's a very smooth and mellow stick. To be honest I would save them for me, as you said in your post, The Opus X is very hard to come by. Where do you get your cigars from? I bought mine at LaVita in St. Chas.

Rider90
12-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Jason, you will love those. I got a tin for my father-in-law and myself on my wedding day last April. It's a very smooth and mellow stick. To be honest I would save them for me, as you said in your post, The Opus X is very hard to come by. Where do you get your cigars from? I bought mine at LaVita in St. Chas.
Hey Tim, I used to purchase them from a couple places. A store in Gurnee Mills Mall had a large selection, but mainly the closest one in Vernon Hills called Tinderbox. I found out today Tinderbox is going out of business, so it looks like I'll be driving to Gurnee from now on. I took his last two tins, because his advice on good smokes has never failed me and I wanted to wish him the best on his future endeavors.

I'm having a very difficult time picking which one to save and which to give to him... or if I should stop at Best Buy and get him a gift card because I don't know, for sure, how into cigars he is or even if he will like this. It would be a terrible waste to give it away for it to be tossed 1/4 into the smoke. Smooth and mellow huh? Sounds perfect...Decisions, Decisions :help:

Shora
12-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Jason,

I own a cigar shop for the last 7 yrs. Also, I own factory (small) that produces cigars just for my shop (it is a personal blend that my brother and I decided on after much researched.

I smoke as much as I can (usually socially). Today alone I smoked 4 chuchill sized cigars and that was BEFORE the poker tournament.

Ok, that was a little background. The Opus X is good but it is not all that. Anytime you want it give me a PM and I will send you a few.

Fuente does make a GREAT cigar and it’s called "Fuente Fuente Forbidden X". It has REALLY well aged tobaccos and is night and day compared to the standard Opus X. I usually smoke them when I'm at ffice:smarttags" />laceName>South</ST1:PlaceName><ST1:PlaceType>Beach</ST1:PlaceType> having a good drink with my business partner and older brother (TheBossMM at the other site.)

Please don't flame but just trust me, I have smoked more of the Opus X then I can count and thankfully I don't pay retail for it (and wouldn't often if I didn't have a tobacco license).

If you really want to have the best "legal" cigar available in the states, do yourself a favor and ask your local tobacconist for the "FF Forbidden X".

Do this and you will thank me.

All the best and long ashes to you.

Rider90
12-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Shora,

What is your personal blend like? I may be interested..

I did some research on the Fuente Fuente Forbidden X and it looks very nice, got some great reviews and sounds like THE cigar of all cigars but I cannot seem to find much information about pricing - An eBay link started the bid @ 350.00? I can't spend that much on a single smoke if that's the case. Even if the Opus X isn't the best, it still sounds like it can top the Romeo y Julieta Excibicion No. 4 - currently my favorite smooth non-acid cigar.

http://cigarinthebottle.com/casafuenteprivate/images/DSC_4448.jpg

Definately the most unique presentation I have ever seen :eek:

JMan
12-21-2006, 04:01 AM
Jason,
I have personally burned a few of Shora and Alon's Smoke Stand hand rolled. They are awesome. These men know their tobacco. If you want a great, inexpensive cigar, try a single LaPaloma Reservoa. I like Maduro (Dark, Mature) wrappers. There are many great expensive cigars out there though. As I said, these men know their tobacco. Shora's advice should be golden!

J

AstroVic
12-21-2006, 05:31 AM
This thread is incredible....

You come to a Marauder site. There's a question about cigars. And, BAM!, four or five experts chime in, including a cigar shop owner!

Gotta love it! ;)

I'll take my Swisher Sweets and move along now....

2003_MM_FYRE49
12-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey Jason, I noticed that you also enjoy Drew Estates Acid cigar. I'm also a fan of Drew Estates. My favorite from them is called Java. It's an awsome after dinner smoke. Has an incredilbe chocolate sent along with a chocolate and nutty blended flavor. I like this one in the evening because it doesn't leave that cigar after taste that some smokes give you. Even though it has a dark wrapper it is a very mild and mellow treat. Best of all I get them for about $7 or $8 a stick. Also which Grand Reserva do you smoke? I like their Hemingway Signature.

whoskal
12-21-2006, 09:59 AM
I love smokin cigars.....it has become a expensive habit...but then again so is the MM...Hey Shora I would be interested in trying your blend...I like trying all the different cigars that I can...I can't get enough of it...there's nothin better than kickin back with a good smoke

ParkRanger
12-21-2006, 04:47 PM

Fuente Fuente OpusX
Chateau de la Feunte
Rare Estate Reserve
MCMXCII 1992

They came in these tins:

They are good sticks but a lot better is available. You have to try to smoke as many different ones as possible to see what you like. I personnaly like maduros - believe you would too.
When you buy - go to cigarsinternational.com - they have the best prices.
Don't inhale.
PR :burnout:

Shora
12-21-2006, 04:51 PM
First,

JMan, your words about my personal blend are way too kind. Thanks my friend. Honestly though, it is not on a playing level with some of the more expansive brands. We designed it to be a PERFECT everyday smoke for everyday folk (like me). Personally, I could not afford to smoke twenty $ cigars daily let alone share them with my friends. Even 5-6 $ cigars add up when you provide the smokes at our weekly poker games.

Thus, 9 yrs. ago, my brother and I began using all of our contacts and created a handmade cigar with very well aged Nicaraguan and Dominican tobaccos so that people can enjoy a "handmade cigar with premium tobaccos for the price of a machine made cigar".

Well, until today, we have many loyal customers from all over the world. Every week we ship them to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/<st1:country-region><st1:place>Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region>, <st1:country-region><st1:place>France</st1:place></st1:country-region>, <st1:country-region><st1:place>Colombia</st1:place></st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region><st1:place>Brazil</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Other countries to but those are the regulars.

We also supply many of the local LEOs and Fire Fighters with these very cigars.

Now again, in all honesty, my cigars have nothing on the Fuentes Opus X, Forbidden X, and many others but they offer the average folk a chance to smoke, and maybe share, a premium cigar instead of a machine made cigar without going broke.

Now for those who don't smoke often, don't share often, or have money to burn (no pun intended) these cigars might not be for you. That is why we also carry ALL of the major brands and many of the Super Premium Brands as well.

Big House
12-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I personally enjoy a good Prince Phillip Macanudo myself. Can't smoke as much...don't want the kids to get a bad idea.

KillJoy
12-21-2006, 07:10 PM
I like to partake, when I can.

I enjoy Padron Fumas......but, then again..... I am cheap :D

KillJoy

Mike Poore
12-21-2006, 07:35 PM
What an incredible thread!

Congratulations to all participants. :2thumbs:

shakes_26
12-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Y'all should try the JL Salazar y Hermanos, excellent, full-medium bodied, very inexpensive, great everyday smoke, consistent.

Money no object, Trinidad Fundadores hands down the best I've smoked so far, the Cohiba Siglio III and Siglio II are close behind.

Rider90
12-21-2006, 10:15 PM
What an incredible thread!

Congratulations to all participants. :2thumbs:
Indeed it is! There are some great suggestions here. Thanks everyone, I never knew there was such a large cigar crowd on this site.

Big Joe P
12-22-2006, 02:53 AM
CIGARS, now your talking......
The only vice I have left, and I take full advantage, believe me...
My current favorite is the Trinidad Robusto Extra... outstanding...
Tim, Jason, and who ever else is interested, pick a day, and we can spend
some time in my smoking room. I have 2 humidors 5 feet tall X 3 feet wide..

Some of my "legal" favorites:
Fuente Cuban Corona
Ashton VSG Robusto
Padron 1964 Principe
La Gloria Cubana Wavell
Graycliff PG

2003_MM_FYRE49
12-22-2006, 09:49 PM
[quote=Big Joe P;454749]CIGARS, now your talking......
The only vice I have left, and I take full advantage, believe me...

Tim, Jason, and who ever else is interested, pick a day, and we can spend
some time in my smoking room. I have 2 humidors 5 feet tall X 3 feet wide..

Outstanding Joe! How about sometime next month after the Christmas and New Years flurry is over with. Besides I'll need a good relaxing smoke after the X-Mas bills come trickling in.:cowboy:

Big Joe P
01-09-2007, 02:30 AM
We could do this Sunday 1/14 at noon for the Bears game ??

2003_MM_FYRE49
01-09-2007, 01:40 PM
We could do this Sunday 1/14 at noon for the Bears game ??
I can't do this weekend we are boxing up the decorations, Lizi and I spent 6 of the last 8 weekends in Milwaukee since November 18th, and after the decorations get into the basement I have to leave for Springfield for a conference. Maybe we can tie it into a Chicken Run??? Let me know.

fastblackmerc
01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
My new favorite is Nat Sherman's.

de minimus
01-09-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm partial to Cohiba Coronas Especiales - not too pricey. A nice smoke, a decent tawny port, a Stilton cheese and I'm happy.