PDA

View Full Version : Back home from surgery

dwasson
12-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Well, this was a strange trip. We went into the hospital about 7:00 am and things happened quicker this time.

The anesthesiologist said that he didn’t want to give me a general. He wanted to give me a spinal and a “Happy shot”. I had seen this show on Discovery Channel a few years ago about people who wake up on the operating table. I had this fear of waking up and being paralyzed, but still feeling everything that was happening to me. I’m not too proud to say that this prospect really scared me. It was probably the most frightening part of the whole process. After agonizing over it for while, I finally agreed.

So, I go into the OR, wide awake, totally aware of everything I can see There’s a crowd inside, doctors, nurses, technicians, tourists, I don’t know who all is there. Everyone is bustling around, looking purposeful and smart. They sit me on the side of the operating table to give me the spinal. Now there is another thing to worry about. The guy (resident, doctor, janitor…) holding me to keep me from falling forward is about 5’ 9” and might weight 145. When someone pushes on my back he staggers. So every time someone pushes on my back he staggers, I flinch and straighten up, and they can’t insert the needle. Finally, they get it worked out and I have to lie down before I have no control of my legs.

So they lay me on my right side. My right arm is taped to a board and there is an IV inserted. My left arm is taped to another board. There is a blood pressure cuff on my left. The sheets are d***** so that I can’t see anything below my shoulders. My world is blue sheets, bright lights, and the face of the anesthesiologist behind the mask.

The doctors start working and I feel tugging on my back and belly as they position my legs. My legs are in another room, but I can feel everything above my waist. If they do anything to my leg big enough, I can feel the motion, or vibration. It’s a very strange feeling.

As the procedure goes on, I’m feeling power saws and a sensation that my leg is twisted into some unnatural positions. Then I feel hammering. I mean real hammers against metal. I have read enough about the surgery to know what is probably happening. At one point, they are chiseling a cavity into the thighbone to receive the prosthesis. So I feel “BANG BANG BANG” then hear someone say, “get a picture of that”, A few minutes later I hear, “We’re 6 millimeters off. Tap it again.” And my nose is getting itchy. I ask the anesthesiologist to scratch my nose and he does gracefully.

Toward the end, a painkiller they give me begins to make me queasy. So, now we have the doctors stapling one end while I’m trying my hardest to not throw up from the other end.

I get out of surgery OK and into the recovery room. Still pretty much awake, I hear the other patients moaning and fall asleep.

When I get into my room my family is there and I notice that I don’t feel that bad. I can talk coherently and don’t feel out of it, like I did last time. I don’t hurt that bad this time. I’m not really sure why, but it may be that the doctor did this side a little differently. He had to cut a muscle on the right side but not on the left.

The next few days were a lot easier than the first time. I wasn’t as sick and I knew more about what to expect. Knew the difference between real concerns and stuff doctors say because they have to sound worried about something.

The discharged me Friday afternoon, and after a moderately uncomfortable ride home, I was able to rest and take a nap.

I’ll keep y’all posted as my recovery progresses. Merry Christmas to all of you.

MM03MOK
12-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Welcome home, Dan! My, what an experience! Best wishes for your complete recovery and Merry Christmas to you!

Hack Goby
12-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Great news Dan.I had a block when I had my knee scoped but I think I talked to much because when I had my other knee done they knocked me out.

Bigdogjim
12-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Dan glad to read your doing so well!

That was a great write up, you should copy it and send it to the Doctors:)

Did any of the "tourists" take pictures?

Bradley G
12-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Glad to hear they put all the pieces back.
enjoy your rest Dan!
You'll be chasing skirt in no time!

Black_Noise
12-22-2006, 07:19 PM
good to hear everything worked out ok. That ride home, was it in the MM?

If not it could have been better

merry christmas, santa brough you good health

jim geary
12-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Get lots of rest and drink plenty of liquids Dan. Oh yea, and have a Merry
Christmas. All the best, Jim.

RCSignals
12-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Welcome back Dan.

Bluerauder
12-23-2006, 08:08 AM
My legs are in another room, but I can feel everything above my waist. If they do anything to my leg big enough, I can feel the motion, or vibration. It’s a very strange feeling.
Sheesh, Dan. Sounds like a very harrowing experience. :eek: Don't think that I would like to be laying there listening to the cutting, banging, hacking and drilling. :(

Glad to hear that you are back home. Hope for a speedy recovery on # 2 process. You'll be good as new ..... maybe better and faster. :D

jgc61sr2002
12-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Dan - Glad to hear all went well.:D