PDA

View Full Version : It's huge!

Mad4Macs
12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
If you live within a thousand miles of this thing, it's worth the trip.
Awesome, just awesome.

Blackened300a
12-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks a to a Airline screw-up on my way to Vegas a few years ago, They set my Friend and I in the hotel located under the arch. There is a nice restaurant at the base of the Arch.

Yes I agree, its huge!

Bigdogjim
12-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Did that on the way back from MV-I in Ennis, Tx. I had nomad running with me:) Chased Mac & Zack half the way, had a buddy with that wanted to see the arch, I have been up many times :up:
Well worth the trip.

lwblumjr
12-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi guys,

I've seen it but have not been up into it. It is really big, though. (I have been up in the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France, though. It's a lot bigger in person than it looks in pictures or the movies.)

Marauderjack
12-24-2006, 04:16 AM
I went up in it back in the 80's and it is a trip to remember!!!:rolleyes:

FIVE people sit in a pod about the size of a VW back seat and as it ascends it levels itself several times....scarey!!!:eek: BTW....you can look out and see the "INNARDS" of the arch......wires, steps, bolts and framework!!:o

Once at the top the windows are angled out at top allowing you to look straight down....scarey again!!:help:

Quite a piece of engineering.......Worth seeing and doing for anyone traveling to St. Louis!!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Mike Poore
12-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Us went too, back in the late-70's as I recall. Barb's grandpap, Lutey and Hazel went along. My most vivid recollection is that the darned thing sways in the wind, ..........a lot. :eek:

jimlam56
12-24-2006, 06:10 AM
It is truly an engineering feat.
I was a little disappointed in the windows up top, cloudy and small.
The coolest thing is how they built it.
Starting on the ground and meeting in the middle up top...perfectly...

Marauderjack
12-24-2006, 06:22 AM
Mike.....

I couldn't sort out if it was swaying or me!!:eek: :shake:

Now that I think back....it was BOTH of us!!:help:

I remember a story back then where some NUT tried to land on it with a parachute.....He hit it....slid off and "Streamered" to his death!!:rolleyes:

High places scare me.....Falling from high places terrifies me!! :eek: :censor:

Marauderjack!!

PS: MERRY CHRIST-HANNA-KWANZA-MAS.......I can't get used to that soooooo......MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

RCSignals
12-24-2006, 11:04 PM
I've been up lookout point overlooking Great Slave Lake, does that count?

Mad4Macs
12-25-2006, 03:08 AM
I've been up lookout point overlooking Great Slave Lake, does that count?

Only if it's HUGE! :D

dwasson
12-25-2006, 04:04 AM
I lived in St Louis in the early 80s. Like most residents, we didn't go to the arch until we had people in from out of town. One snowy winter night the security guard at the arch told the TV news that a light plane flew under the arch. IT happened so fast that he didn't get a tail number.