PDA

View Full Version : Considering a career change. Advice needed.

bryanthomas
12-24-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm not passionate about my job and I'm thinking about turning my hobby into a career. Here's a little history:

After graduating high school I went to college for a few semester majoring in english with an emphasis on journalism. I had originally wanted to wirte for automotive magazines. I got bored with college though. It's not that I'm not a good student, I always have been. In high school I always maintained a 3.2-3.5 GPA and in college I held the same, but I just found I wasn't enjoying it. So I finally just decided to take over the family business with my older brother. It's a little "mom 'n pop" BBQ joint. I had worked there off ona dn since I was 13 so it was familiar, convenient, and paid for (as in the building & equipment [also read: low overhead]). I'm more than thankful for having the opportunity to walk into a business and make good money and be o young doing it. The couple of years have been great! I've bought a house, a couple of fun cars, and I'm getting engaged soon.

Here I am 23 years old and things are great! But lately I have been thinking about some people I know that love what they do for a living. What do they all have in common? They're all car guys. I will honestly say I envy them. A couple of them are right here on this website. I've been thinking, "Bryan, you're still really young, so why can't you work around cars for a living?" Good question.

So, put yourself in my shoes: You're a 23 1/2 year old resturaunt owner who would like to make a career change towards something automotive oriented. You love cars. You are very passionate about them. As far as your wrenching ability goes, it is limited to driveway mechanics, but you're eager to learn. What would you do? I'm open to any suggestions. :burnout:

jim geary
12-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Morning Brian. If it were me, I would sit down and try my darndest to figure out exactly what I wanted to do with cars. Then once it came to mind I would
go to someone on the web site who is in the same field and ask if they would
teach you what they know. If you half to work for free until you get good at
whatever it is that you want to learn.Dosen't sound too apealing working for free I know but not to many experts are willing to take someone in that
has little or no knowledge and pay them as they learn.Especially in these times. So sit down and figure out what it is you want and how long it will take you to get there and then start saving every penny you make so you'll
be able to make an employeer that sort of an offer.
Just a thought Brian. Merry Christmas. Jim.

martyo
12-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Go to Wyotech.

If I won the lottery and could afford to do that, that's what I would do. Seriously.

Bluerauder
12-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Here I am 23 years old and things are great! But lately I have been thinking about some people I know that love what they do for a living. What do they all have in common? They're all car guys.
Someone once told me that "One of the secrets to a happy life is to find something that you like to do and find someone to pay you to do it." You are still quite young and are still in that search mode. That's good. Can't say that I have ever figured out what I want to do for the rest of my life. But I am also one of the ones that enjoys my job ... not every day .... but 5 or 6 out of 7 days a week. Since I was 18 years old, I have been associated with the military. More specifically with the US Army. The responsibility given to young folks is extraordinary and the opportunity to do different things and travel and see different people and places was perfect for me. Since retirement in 1992, I am still supporting the Army in a field that I was trained in and continue to enjoy my work and my associations.

Before jumping into a specific field, I suggest that you do a personal evaluation. You may be surprised. I'd suggest a book called "What Color is Your Parachute". Inside is a self-evaluation of your likes and dislikes, interests, etc. You may be surprised. Either way, if you are like me, you will gain a much better understanding of who you are and what you like and how to put it together in a career.

Seems that you have quite a wide field of interests including English, Journalism, small business operations, restaurant management, food service, and automotive services. Maybe a self-evaluation will help you to narrow down that field and point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps and good luck in finding that career that makes you happy and pays the bills.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :xtree:

BruteForce
12-24-2006, 09:00 AM
"One of the secrets to a happy life is to find something that you like to do and find someone to pay you to do it."

^^^This is the key^^^. My contribution to Bluerauder's fine advice is to keep an open mind, even while you focus on a specific goal. You might just stumble on what you're looking for while pursuing something completely different.

Sorry for the long post but "chasing your dream" is one of those things I feel very strongly about.

Here's my journey to the job I love now. Like you I wanted something different. Mid-twenties; had worked in 3 & 4 star restaurants for most of my "career". Decided to go back to school and get a drafting degree (liked it during high school). Community college computer-aided drafting for two years, really enjoyed it and was close to my goal.

Found out i could use 2 year college credits to get into 4yr university. Took that plunge... BUT switched tracks to Social Work (like to work with people and a concern for social issues) after a year. Parlayed the 2yr AA degree into a BA in SW all the while "playing" with computers on the side... games, dial-up BBS, some hardware tweaking. I really didn't have any exposure to modern PCs until I was at the U.

Applied for "accelerated" Masters program (2 yr degree in 1 yr), got in, did great. Interned as a Development Assistant (write requests for grants to fund social programs), rubbed elbows with the regional human services "elite" and thought I had found my niche. On the side I had started a computer repair & web development business serving non-profits (think early Internet @1995 - hardly anyone online yet).

Graduated from Masters program and went to work as a Systems Manager at a local non-profit. Managed the IT systems (such as they were) and wrote grants for programs to expose "at risk" kids to computers. Still working on the side with web development.

The millennium change over was exciting (2000 new year) as we used some pretty old systems and software. Got through that but budget crunch early on forced my lay off from work. It was at that point that I realized that I could try to make a go of my side business.

First few years were pretty lean. More than once thought about going back to work in a "normal" job, even (GASP) restaurants. Muddled through that without giving up, building a rep and client list.

Now here it is 6 years later. Comfortable living. Nice toys (MM vroom!). AND I love to get up and go to work. In fact I have to force myself to take days off 'cause I WANT to work. :D

As you can see, I had more than one goal along the way to where I am now. At each point I was sure that the current goal was what I wanted to do. I think the reason I didn't see "web development" as a goal until late in the game was because it DIDN'T EXIST yet at the time. Only through following the path toward a goal was it revealed to me.

Moral of the story is..

Set a goal.
Get started on the path to your goal.
Follow through on that goal even if you have to sacrifice personal comfort to get there (school, live below your means, etc.).
Be open to signs along the way that point to something new (didn't exist prior or you hadn't considered it).
Don't quit when it starts getting rough (and it will at some point). Its even harder to start again once you've slid back.

Merry Christmas! I hope you find the path to your dream job sooner rather than later!

Bigdogjim
12-24-2006, 09:14 AM
A short simple reply. Right now your like a "kid in a candy store" as in everything looks good (jobs) but, which one do I want(job) the book that Charlie (Bluerauder) speaks of "What Color is Your Parachute". Great book and it is update every year. Well worth the time to read and use as a road map.
I was like you somewhat at that age, just got out of college, spent a few months in football and ending driving a bus for 20 years! Been in 49 out of 50 States, most of Canada, some of Mexico (a little) would not trade that for anything. The only trick is like others stated. Find something you like and stick with it:)
Now I manage a small fleet(23) of delivery vans/truck, some days I think "why am I doing this?" Most days its all good:)

magindat
12-24-2006, 09:23 AM
I, too love cars. It's been a passion from teens. I came into cars by way of car audio. I love car audio, too. I've built systems for manufacturers and had systems in magazines and even on TV.
In a financially lean time in my life, I turned my hobby into a paycheck. I worked at a shop part time to supplement my income. Sales in the evenings and installs on the weekends.
I found I began to despise my hobby. I dind't want to do what I did at work at home. The lean times eased up and I stopped working my hobby.
What I found was that for the one in a thousand time you actually get a good sytem to work on, there's 999 run-o-the-mill alarms or direct head unit replacements (head pop) or factory speaker replacements, etc.
These days, the IT industry keeps my brains busy. No, it's not my passion. I treat it like a trade (same as a plumber or electrician). I do get to be in the AC and I do some decision making, but all-in-all, it PAYS FOR my real passion.
Do some serious searching. Decide for yourself if you can take 999 run-o-the-mill tasks for that 1 in a thousand gleaming cube. Be careful not to get into a career that RUINS your passion for cars.
That's my experience and 2 cents FWIW.
All the best, bro.

Bluerauder
12-24-2006, 09:45 AM
I found I began to despise my hobby. I dind't want to do what I did at work at home.

Yeah, my gynecologist friends tell me this all the time. :rofl: :jk:

Mike Poore
12-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I'd suggest writing an article for an automotive journal; one that accepts manuscripts from free lance writers; such as Mustang Times, the journal of MCA, comes to mind. Breaking into the trade may not be easy, but getting published in one of the trade publications, or even something in a newspaper might work; anyway, it would be a start.

Also go back to school, and hit the Lit courses hard.

Um, in the meantime, don't quit your daytime job.

Good luck, we wish you every success.

jgc61sr2002
12-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I would recommend going back to college for a start.

A college degree is a viable tool in any career.

Don't make any changes until you are sure of what you want to persue.

Owning a car dealership was always a thought in my mind.

Got stuck in the civil service system.

Yes change is difficult.

Good Luck with your future endevors.:D

KillJoy
12-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Personally, I would not want a career in my hobby.

Once it is something I HAD to do to make ends meet, it would no longer be fun for ME to do.

Why not get a second job going? Something on the side? See what happens?

KillJoy

bryanthomas
12-24-2006, 08:53 PM
All great advice guys. I was basicallly wanting all different types of opinions on the subject. Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas to everyone!! :beer: