PDA

View Full Version : Problem reading dipstick oil level

mm_micar
12-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Was wondering if anyone else had a problem trying to read the dipstick oil level. No matter whether I leave it sit overnight, or put the dipstick down real quick and pull it right out, all I end up with is a smear of oil mainly on one side of the stick from the bottom up about 4 inches or so. There is no definitive oil mark across the stick like every other car I've ever had. You can see that the stick has gone into the oil around the bottom area and up to somewhere between the two holes but apparently the oil running down the side of the stick smears the reading out. Thanks for any help.

ShelbyMotorspts
12-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Have you tried when the oil is cold like in the morning?

It probably doesn't help when Ford was so cheap that they riveted two dipsticks together to get the correct dipstick length.

Blackened300a
12-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I usually look at the back to get my reading. It is a crappy type of dipstick

RF Overlord
12-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Have you tried when the oil is cold like in the morning?That's when I check mine, and I have no trouble getting a good reading.

AstroVic
12-24-2006, 02:37 PM
It is a crappy type of dipstick

That's an understatement! Hahaha...

It's truly one of the worst dipsticks I've ever used. However, I never really have too much trouble getting a good reading on it, and I check mine most every time I drive it.

gilby04
12-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Have had the same problem several times.
What works for me is to turn the dipstick over sideways rotating it 180 degrees when inserting it back into the tube.
It doesn't tend to smear that way.
Hope this helps.

O's Fan Rich
12-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Who's a dipstick?

gonzo50
12-24-2006, 08:01 PM
That's when I check mine, and I have no trouble getting a good reading.

No trouble reading mine either. :confused: